Powder coating and colors - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flat tire
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 17
Powder coating and colors

Morning all
Looking for a recommendation

Someone youíve used and referred to others for powder coating in north or central New Jersey.

Has anyone had powder coat colors matched to vehicle paint codes? Iíve seen color options but hoping for an exact match.

Thanks
CM68MM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Robert
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elizabeth, Colorado
Posts: 522
Garage
Re: Powder coating and colors

What are you looking to powder coat? Are you looking to do smaller pieces and parts or large parts like the subframe?
Powder coating to a vehicle paint code might prove to extremely challenging. I would think they should be able to get really close though.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
akxtreme is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger
 
rogerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 19,145
Re: Powder coating and colors

I have had nothing but trouble with powder coating where bolting it is required. If anything breaks the surface of the powder coating and allows moisture to get next to the metal youíre in trouble.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
rogerh is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 17
Re: Powder coating and colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by akxtreme View Post
What are you looking to powder coat? Are you looking to do smaller pieces and parts or large parts like the subframe?
Powder coating to a vehicle paint code might prove to extremely challenging. I would think they should be able to get really close though.
Wheel well and rocker trim - maybe a few other things but definitely not going to go too crazy with the crocus yellow
CM68MM is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 17
Re: Powder coating and colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
I have had nothing but trouble with powder coating where bolting it is required. If anything breaks the surface of the powder coating and allows moisture to get next to the metal youíre in trouble.

Roger
Good point and thanks! I didnít think of that. Wheel well trim might not be the best candidate then.
CM68MM is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
kevin
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: virginia
Posts: 3,826
Re: Powder coating and colors

check out cerakote
I had intake, thermostat housing, alternator, timing cover and bolt heads coated. then I did the water pump myself. all require bolts and I have had no problem with cracking or pealing
ME4NSTRK69 likes this.
flat tire is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 17
Re: Powder coating and colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
check out cerakote
I had intake, thermostat housing, alternator, timing cover and bolt heads coated. then I did the water pump myself. all require bolts and I have had no problem with cracking or pealing
That picture reminds me of my Cindy Crawford poster. Thing of beauty
CM68MM is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 04:22 PM
Moderator
____
 
DOUG G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 19,570
Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Powder coating and colors

I worked for a powder coating Mfg. for almost 10 years. You CAN color match, but it "could be" costly, it's not anything like liquid paint other than the name.

Some of our testing was really impressive for taking abuse.

Good luck in your quest

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
DOUG G is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 17
Re: Powder coating and colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
I worked for a powder coating Mfg. for almost 10 years. You CAN color match, but it "could be" costly, it's not anything like liquid paint other than the name.

Some of our testing was really impressive for taking abuse.

Good luck in your quest
Thanks - on another thread I was looking for "paintable" trim (without chrome). Still looking for that as option 1 but option 2 would be stripping the chrome and powder coating to match paint. Option 3 is "chrome only" trim. Would love the ability to switch between chrome and matching painted/powder coated molding/trim...
CM68MM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome