Epoxy Primer Preference - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mike

Epoxy Primer Preference

I'm shopping for paint and body materials. I noticed a lot of the build threads use SPI. Has anybody tried the Eastwood or Summit brand epoxy primers? They are both fairly local to me and I can go buy them as I need them. Any negative experiences to speak of?

67 Chevy II Sedan 9.71 @ 134.00
69 Camaro SS/RS Project Car
2003 Suburban Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 12:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Re: Epoxy Primer Preference

SPI hands down! 2 day free shipping

stay away from eastwood/summit you want your paint to last

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

I had good success with SPI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93236812-2FC9-4A6F-981C-11A26855F4E9.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	767.4 KB
ID:	232765   Click image for larger version

Name:	444B6FAD-7F26-4056-B138-B0C8E486EF71.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	767.1 KB
ID:	232767  

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 12:57 PM
Team Member
Don

Summit and Eastwood is cheap Kirker epoxy as far as I know.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtty View Post
I'm shopping for paint and body materials. I noticed a lot of the build threads use SPI. Has anybody tried the Eastwood or Summit brand epoxy primers? They are both fairly local to me and I can go buy them as I need them. Any negative experiences to speak of?
Mike, it would be beneficial to find a good supplier with quality products and start developing a relationship. All my paint was PPG. Primer, masking/sanding products, body filler, seam sealer, etc. etc. You will be surprised how often you end up there looking for stuff on a big project, and you'll need to be sure that everything you get works together chemically. The guidance and education you can get with a good supplier is worth a lot. Plus, you'll find that they'll start discounting stuff for you when you start coming in all the time. My $.02
69L48Z27 likes this.

My Build Thread

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 01:21 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Mike, it would be beneficial to find a good supplier with quality products and start developing a relationship. All my paint was PPG. Primer, masking/sanding products, body filler, seam sealer, etc. etc. You will be surprised how often you end up there looking for stuff on a big project, and you'll need to be sure that everything you get works together chemically. The guidance and education you can get with a good supplier is worth a lot. Plus, you'll find that they'll start discounting stuff for you when you start coming in all the time. My $.02
My local jobber charges me out the wazoo. I can buy on eBay for much less.

I am a big SPI fan and user. Their forum is a great resource and the pros are willing to help the amateurs like me.

My other advice is to stay away from so called etch primers.

I hope I donít get spanked by you know who....

Don
350sshugger likes this.

1959 El Camino project

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
My local jobber charges me out the wazoo. I can buy on eBay for much less.

I am a big SPI fan and user. Their forum is a great resource and the pros are willing to help the amateurs like me.

My other advice is to stay away from so called etch primers.

I hope I donít get spanked by you know who....

Don
If you are not a registered shop and have an account with a supplier, you will most likely not get a business discount nor deliveries daily to your place. I have no isues with SPI which I have used. I simply choose to use other products which suit my needs. I know pros who have resto shops who use SPI. Others prefer BASF or Akzo Nobel, both provide quality products and I have and do use them. Utech and RM EP series epoxy are good products.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
For one car this approach is fine if product savings is not an issue, while not sacrificing quality. It is work for one in the business to keep track of products, performance and prices. If you bought all your products from PPG then you paid top dollar. Product compatibility is not that much of an issue unless you are referring to paint warranty. Most hobbyists won't get that from a company.

There are numerous pro sites out there that are willing to help others. Go check them out.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Feb 14th, 20 at 06:22 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have used SPI, and Summit epoxy. Both of them worked fine, and have not had any failures with either. On my personal cars I use PPG DP90. Yes it's expensive, but that's just what I like the most. The Summit gets a bad rap. It sprays and lays down better than the SPI. I use the SPI on the fleet type trucks I work on. Dump trucks/tow trucks.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 07:24 PM
Team Member
Don

Some freshly sprayed unreduced SPI epoxy on some 78 Trans Am bumper covers....

If you need it to spray like Summit and PPG just add a little reducer.... A 25% reduction should be about right based on my experience with those primers.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B7D083-27D8-48F8-9089-D1D82EF47A9D.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	232771  

1959 El Camino project

Last edited by dhutton; Feb 14th, 20 at 07:39 PM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 08:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Like I mentioned the SPI is not bad. I'm spraying it on a tractor restoration next week. My SPI rep cuts me a good deal on paper and tape too. Would be nice if SPI had more paint color options..

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 08:23 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Like I mentioned the SPI is not bad. I'm spraying it on a tractor restoration next week. My SPI rep cuts me a good deal on paper and tape too. Would be nice if SPI had more paint color options..
Sorry but in my opinion SPI is far superior to Kirker/Summit/Eastwood and PPG DPLF. And yes Iíve used all three. Solids content, adhesion, UV resistance etc. Yes, it takes a little skill to spray but if you donít spray the first coat too thick itís fine. And the price/value canít be beat imho.

DPLF used to be all the rage but I see more and more long time DPLF users moving to SPI. PPG is pricing the little guy right out of their products.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Totally agree on the PPG price. They are not targeting to the little guy. SPI is specifically targeting the little guy. It's not bad. I have , and do use it. The new formula sprays better than the original formula. The new formula has been out a few years now. Never used Eastwood, or Kerkler. I can't swear that summit is or is not Kerkler. Summit will not budge on the info. Kinda doesn't matter, I don't use it
anymore because I have a SPI rep that will deliver to me within 2 hours. Just easier to get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dis SPI.

Oh and by the way, saying I'm putting it on a tractor is not a put down. This tractor is probably worth as much as some of the Camaro's on this site.

X-77 keith
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mike

Thanks guys your posts' kind of confirms what I was thinking. I was just curious as Summit's retail store/warehouse is only 7 minutes from my house, at least I can get my sheet metal there and they have every piece I need in stock. I do not even know where my local PPG dealer is, I would probably have to use vacation time to go there during their hours. Also I have to be cognizant of my project budget so I will order some SPI to get things started on the underside of the car. I am far, far away from priming painting exterior panels and I think I will hire that done so I'll let them determine what they like to spray at that point in time. What about weld through primers I've heard u-pol is really good. Any other favorites?

67 Chevy II Sedan 9.71 @ 134.00
69 Camaro SS/RS Project Car
2003 Suburban Daily Driver
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 10:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I like 3M, or SEM. Some say don't even bother because it burns right out. I like to think it works.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode