Timing & Vacuum Advance 101 - Page 6 - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Marc

Re: Timing & Vacuum Advance 101

I did post recently about a knocking noise I experience with my camaro, after distributor and carburator setting changes.

Now as a return of experience I want to post for reference for similar engine configuration people may use....
Engine is 327 ci vortec heads comp cam 268HE straight propane impco 425 edelbrock perfomer intake and tri Y headers. with T56 and 4.11:1 posi rear end.

As tuned now the car is pretty fast, certainly 2-2500 rpm untill 5500 with very good throttle response, which correspond to the cam installed.
Under 2000 rpm I guess I could have better respons still maybe with more advance but as now with the 6° speed can have high load on engine and I didn't want to experience and play with more advance...

- AEM wideband lambda gauge is installed and working.
- I could then test drive the car and tune it.
So here it is :

Ignition Timing
11° initial
12° mechanical starts at 1400 full at 2500 (so total = 23°)
10° vaccum advance

AFR
lambda values
0.96 idle
1.10-15 cruising
1.02-05 acceleration under 2200 RPM
0.95 acceleration at WOT higher RPM

For the understanding of my research and coming to these numbers after having these knocking issues :
- CR 10:1 high compression --> less advance
- vortec L31 heads are fast burn heads with high quench chamber design --> less advance needed. On vortec heads we have numbers on gasoline as low as 28-29 total with very good performance
- propane rule compared to gasoline: +3-5° initial and -5° total, with curve coming in faster.

Regards,

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech
Marc

Sorry forgot to say : with this configuration, initial with manifold vaccum is 20~21° and I get 17 psi vacuum. PVC valve is also connected to the holey base plate.
Idle is very good, i had to reduce idle rpm.

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
12° mechanical starts at 1400 full at 2500 (so total = 23°)
You will need a ball park total around 30 to 34 deg at around 3200.
Asuming a non egr engine
intial 8 to 12 deg
Around 22/23 in the cent
And idle (intial+VA) 18 to 20 because of the lift to make stable street idle at reasonable
rpms.

A propane engine needs a very fast curve, petrol far slower
Propane also requires a low total than petrol
LPG also by nature will idle stable very low.. an engine like yours will idle at 550 in gear with an auto.
LPG when one leans out or over advances doest get hot, it cools.. the other way around to petrol.. and doesnt detonate at off cruise light load unless there is too much in the VA...
Typical non egr propane curve is around 10 to 12 initial, total around 28 to 32 depending on dcr, and all in around 2500 to 2600, and around an all up intial+cent+VA 42....petrol engine when dialed in with a knock sensor can often go way above this in to high 50s (thu if not dialing in with knock sensor never go above 40/42 on a petrol engine.)
Do not try to apply a gasious fuel characteristics to a liquid fuel

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 12:17 PM

Wow this is great post for me .....Yer right Steps... have to keep that in mind. I'm assuming I'll be leaning out the idle mixture too. Actually, does anyone have a step-by-step process they use?
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 18, 01:41 PM
Probationer
Marko

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Timing & Vacuum Advance 101

Thank you so much!! It is very interesting and enlightening!

Best regards
Marko

´69 Camaro, 307 cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode