Team Camaro Tech banner

engine oil temp.?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chicane67 
#1 ·
I hope someone here might know what is the optimum temp. reading I should show on my mechanical oil temp. gage. I took the car out for a bit of cruising yesterday and the oil temp. read 210, and the cooliant temp. was 190. To give you a bit of info. on motor it's a 350 bored .040, eagle forged crank, "H" beam rods, J&E -21cc blower pistons, hellfire rings, Brobix track 1 alum. heads, solid roller cam, lifters, stud girdles, 8-71 blower with 2 700cfm. blower carbs. It's all stuffed into a '68 Camaro that I tubbed, caged, Dana 60 with 4:10 posi, full comp. th350 tranny with 3600 stall. This set-up should have no problems running in the mid 10's in the quarter. Thanks in advance for any help. :D

#2 ·
Your oil always contacts the hottest parts of the engine, the areas that create the heat to begin with. Only a 20 degree difference sounds ok to me. Ive heard of 50 degree temp differentials at race tracks, so the drivers then add oil coolers.
Your safest insurance is to use a good Synthetic oil like Amsoil or Mobile One that have higher flash points and better viscosity indexes to withstand the higher heat. A good syn can also pull more heat away from the metal in its circulation path causing less friction and better mileage.
Im sure others will add their opinion, but thats my 2cents

#4 ·
The additives in the oils we use dont really do their lobs until the oil temperature is at around 220* or above.

The 190 coolant with 210 oil sound like youre right there. You want to maintain engine oil temperature between 210 and 240 F.

Oil to water heat exchangers are the best way (most efficient - most consistant) to maintain this but most people opt for an exteranal oil to air cooler. The oil to water will maintain the oil temp to +20 degrees of the water temp.....you also get faster engine warm up without having to use a oil thermostat.

On the late models, there is a Harrison 'sandwich' cooler between the oil filter and the block......one of the best, smallest and most durable units today. you can even retro fit the same unit onto any small/big block you want to.

You next best would be a oil to water cooler (heat exchanger) like what you would find in many race cars today AND a few HD trucks.. The biggest benifit is that you do not have to hang another cooler into the air stream....leaving you with more air to the engine cooling radiator.

If you look at this link and click on the image for the larger image, you will see how much room these really need.....not very much at all:

http://66.155.51.113/products/specItem.aspx?prodID=7330&genCat=39

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.