Good but bad weekend.... - Page 6 - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 17, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Good but bad weekend....

Might have to change the oil, sometimes all that gas just ends up in the crankcase unburned and can cause the oil to get washed out. I took a ride and my carb was flooding(float problem) ended up ruining the oil and wiped out the crank bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Oil is drained and the filter is off.

Going to get some cheap oil and a cheap filter and fire it back up to see if cleaning the carb worked.

I'm not going to race the car, so the cheaper oil will be ok.

Then after the problem is solved I'll put the better oil back in with a good filter.

69 Camaro, 496, 10.34 @ 134.77 mph.
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Could there be too much fuel pressure over coming the needle and seat?

post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I had 6 psi coming out of the regulator.

If there needle and seat was stuck open, my thought would be that when we took off the site plug on the fuel bowl, the fuel would have rushed out, but it didn't, it trickled out when we bumped the fender.

The only thing I can think is that there was some dirt in one of the lines that got into the carb.

I ran fuel through the main lines since that was changed from a #6 to a #8.

Afterwards though, I added a new regulator and that could have possibly had something in it??

post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
mike

I noticed you use race fuel but maybe at one time you had pump gas in the lines.With the ethanol in gas I noticed it can cause some deterioration to the gas lines and put debris in the carb. Good luck sounds like a fun ride.
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 17, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Yes, racing fuel only. The entire fuel system is new, with the exception of the fuel cell and the two #6 lines that run to the carb.
I even cleaned the cell out prior to this, and ran some "lawn mower" gas through the system to see if there was any dirt in it, but somehow, somewhere I'm thinking dirt got through and got into a passage in the carb. I'm thinking the secondary part of the carb because the air bleeds were always looking wet, so when I took the rear bowl off, I did see a small piece of debris, it reminded me of a piece of rubber.
I want to get it running before the cold settles in and find out what's going on so that I don't have to worry about it all winter long.
Haven't you and I talked before? I think it was a long time ago even before my car was in the finished stages?

post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 19, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Wow, I just realized it's been over a year since I updated things.

Well to simply say, there is nothing to update. I haven't been in the car since I ran it last in 2017.

Had serious knee pain and in Feb 2018 had two torn meniscus repaired and that didn't help one bit, in fact, made things worse.

Then in August of 2018, I had a total knee replacement and to this day, still hurts.

I ordered a quick release steering wheel hub to help get in and out of the car and my wife got me a new steering wheel for Christmas.

We do believe my miss was due to a bad coil. The fuel line ran extremely close to the coil and we think it jumped spark and damaged it. I put a new coil on and fired it up and it sounded like normal again, but ran out of fuel before I could really check things. I adjusted the fuel pressure down to around 5 psi. I also made a few changes to the carb, new jet size and remove a pair of air bleeds. It was also recommended that I lock out my distributor again, which I did.

My friend went over all the valves and everything is ready for this year.

Hopefully this time, no issues will come up and I can get some solid runs in and break into the nine's, so that I can at least say the car runs nine's even though I'll run in a 10.0 class.

That's it for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode