415 vs 421 - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 17, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: 415 vs 421

I must admit I always pause when I see a post like the original. If you don't realize that you can't use the same piston when you stroke a motor, I tend to doubt/question all decisions after that. I in no mean that disrespectful We all had a point where we didn't know things. The joy of the hobby is learning. It just shows some very basic learning is needed.

Like others have said, a 400 is just fine. A tiny bit of stroke and cubic inches will be completely un-noticeable on the street. Maybe not even with a time slip. If you want a change you can feel, sure nitrous is great, but back to the original point of knowledge base. "Learning" with n2o usually comes from melted pistons if you don't have a certain basic understanding.

How about a head upgrade if you are looking for a project? Or a supercharger (boy did I learn a lot with that one. Luckily no melted pistons).

What are your goals? I see 600 HP, but what does that translate to in terms of an e.t. goal or autocross time? With a stick and street tires on the street, you wont be able to tell the difference much from 500 to 600 HP IMO. Both will be instant tire smoke on the street. And with a small block chevy, moving from 500 HP to 600 HP naturally aspirated is a BIG leap. Not so much with an LS, but with Gen I for sure.

I'm thinking just go out and drive and enjoy the car. Sounds like you have a great package as is.
Larger Dave likes this.

69 Camaro, 3450lbs., 400, Cal Tracs, Coan 10", TH400, 3.50 gear, no trailer
D1SC blow thru, pump gas, 9:1, ~10 PSI,
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kip

I have twisted every bolt on my 67. Researched every swap... and definitely made plenty of mistakes along the way. I want more"more power"... AND I know that there are tons of guys on the forum with knowledge and experience that I dont have.... and probable will never have. I know that many of you have had several different types of engines. I was just looking for some feed back on whether a change was worth wile. I dont race the car. I want it to be faster... or do longer or smokier burnouts... or do 120 across the lake dam instead of 110... all of which are more fun... Its all about getting a smile on my face. I may miss some of the nuances along the way when making changes... but you cant learn if you dont try ... or ask...

1967 SSRS
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 17, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I want more"more power"...

I was just looking for some feed back on whether a change was worth wile. I dont race the car. I want it to be faster... or do longer or smokier burnouts... or do 120 across the lake dam instead of 110... all of which are more fun... Its all about getting a smile on my face. I may miss some of the nuances along the way when making changes... but you cant learn if you dont try ... or ask...
Been there, done that, got a drawer full of T-shirts!

What you ask is usually responded to by "How fast can you afford to go?". This is because it is all about the Benjamin's. What you want is more torque. Torque is what pushes you back in your seat, accelerates your car and puts a grin on your face.

This is why I recommend a rear gear change as the cheapest and best modification you can make for a street driven car. A steeper gear multiples the torque your engine makes right now. Down side is you are spinning the motor higher and you won't be setting any land speed records.

A power adder adds torque by increasing the pressure on top of the piston (more downward force, more torque). Down side is expense and accelerated wear (a turbocharged piston powered aircraft only gets seventy five per cent of the mandatory time between major overhaul due to this added stress on the motor). With Nitrous-oxide you will discover that the bottle is always empty when you want it most (to put that annoying kid with the Honda or Subaru in his place).

The way you build torque normally aspirated is to close the intake valve as soon as possible (no rumpity-rump cam noise), raise the static compression ratio, and lengthen the stroke to hold the piston at the top of the stroke longer. This also enlarges your displacement which is the easiest way to increase torque. That is why I always build a bigger and bigger big block Chevy. It explains why everyone thinks a 383 is God's gift to Camaros. They obviously have never driven a SBC 406 or a blown 540 BBC, or a NA 632 big block.

As been stated anything above 550 foot pounds of torque will overwhelm a street tire producing not only a lot of tire smoke, but loss of control if you punch it on the interstate doing 70 mph. I don't know how much you have in your engine now but some pocket porting and a cam swap can get you 586 horsepower at 5,800 rpm, and torque of 589 lb-ft at 4,100 rpm out of a ZZ502 crate motor. It has a lot of bang for the buck.

Big Dave

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 17, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

500 shot. Do it.

...or be safe and put the money into smarter things like gearing, suspension, traction, wider rubber...

I say go big. 500 shot.

kv67ssrs likes this.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode