1 7/8" Header for SBC in first gen ! - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

1 7/8" Header for SBC in first gen !

Hi Guys,

I have a 68 first gen with a SBC in it. It runs standard engine mounts, Turbo 400, power steering, no air con. It has a 580HP 421 cube motor in it. The heads are AFR210's.

I currently run a set of 1 3/4" headers which are press bent so very restrictive as in down to less than 1 5/8". When the engine was dyno'd they used 1 7/8" pipes so that's what I want to put on it.

I was originally going to run a set of the 2207 Hooker Super Comps ( 1 7/8" primary, 3.5" collector, 5/16" flanges, 18guage tube, $613. ) but I have read a lot of mixed reviews regarding quality & needing to dent pipes to clearance but my main concern was how low the header hangs under the floor. Because my car is fairly low there will be too little ground clearance. I then started doing some research.

I got told to look into another Hooker product which is a new design - 2109HKR ( 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" primary, 3.0 collector, 3/8" flanges, 18 guage tube, $566. ). Apparently 4 or 5 years ago Hooker designed some new headers that cleared everything & were tucked up hard under the floor. Sounded like these were exactly what I needed until I read they are only made for D-Port exhaust so back to researching.

I looked into the Dougs D323 - R ( 1 7/8" primary, 3.5" collector, 3/8" flanges, 16guage pipe, $603 ). I have not been able to find a whole lot of reviews on these headers except they may or may not fit my AFR heads. They look like a nicely made header & they have the 3/8" flanges & heavier 16guage tube but just unsure they will fit so kept looking.

Found the Dynatech 740 - 21310 ( 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collector, 3/8" flanges, 16 guage tube, $630 ). Found lots of review's on these & everybody said they were a really nice header, no clearancing needed, they tuck up nicely under the car. For similar $ to the other brands these come ceramic coated. I had made up my mind to order a set of these headers & nobody has any in stock. I rang Dynatech & they have stopped making this header so back to scratch again.

I am in Australia & can get a set custom made but they are around $2500. If I buy a set from the likes of the above by the time I get them landed in Australia with freight, $ conversion, tax they will owe me around the $1300 mark.

Do any of you guys run a 1 7/8" header that does not need to be bashed around to clearance everything & does not hang down way below the subframe ? Something that fits with my AFR heads ?
I am not worried if they are coated or not.

Thanks for any help.
Scott.

Last edited by SBC-68-FIREBIRD.; Jan 10th, 19 at 04:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 06:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: 1 7/8" Header for SBC in first gen !

For years I ran the Hooker 1-3/4" Super Comps and 1 tube needed to be dented to clear the steering box. When I built the 427 that's in the car now I contacted Lemon's and they built a set with 2" primaries and 3-1/2" collectors. They fit awesome with no denting needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1350001.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	223921  

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 07:08 AM
Team Member
Darin

If you get an off the shelf header make sure you tell the you have the .25" raised ports on your AFR heads.

Too bad Dynatech doesn't make them any more(weird), thats what I have on my 421" with 210 AFRs, they clear everything and tuck under the car real nice,ball and socket flange is a plus also.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
For years I ran the Hooker 1-3/4" Super Comps and 1 tube needed to be dented to clear the steering box. When I built the 427 that's in the car now I contacted Lemon's and they built a set with 2" primaries and 3-1/2" collectors. They fit awesome with no denting needed.
I bet that is a PITA to change plugs on #5 &7
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
If you get an off the shelf header make sure you tell the you have the .25" raised ports on your AFR heads.

Too bad Dynatech doesn't make them any more(weird), thats what I have on my 421" with 210 AFRs, they clear everything and tuck under the car real nice,ball and socket flange is a plus also.
I bought hooker super comps and I have raised exhaust ports . no fitment problem
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 10:45 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
I bought hooker super comps and I have raised exhaust ports . no fitment problem
I had the old style super comps from 5 years ago, no way the drivers side would fit, it hit the steering arm big time,and I think someplace else on that side, I still have them beat to hell on that side trying to get it to fit until I ordered a new set.

I talked to Todd at Hooker who's on the forums and asked about the new style 2106HKR, he said not with my heads. raising the bolt holes and ports 1/4" is a no go. I didn't want to chance it so I got the dynatechs which I knew would fit the AFR 210.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
I bet that is a PITA to change plugs on #5 &7
Actually, it's not hard at all. Number 5 can be done with a ratchet and socket. Number 7 comes out with a box wrench.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

I did look at the Lemons & they look like a nice pipe but by the time I get them out here they will owe me what a custom made set will cost

I have had a few messages back & forth from Todd also & other than the 2207 Super Comps they don't have anything in 1 7/8" that will suit the standard port head, the ones they have look nice but are for a D-Port. I would have thought the standard port would have been a lot more common port shape.

I have looked everywhere for a set of the dynatechs but everybody has " out of stock " on their pages

Thanks for the replies.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Send a message via AIM to 97 CAIVIAROSS

Scott,

They are showing in stock here. Maybe call to verify.

https://thmotorsports.com/4246789-dy...header-systems

I love my dynatechs I have the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 stepped on my 383 with AFR Heads. Fit and finish are top notch. No clearance issues and tuck up to the floor nicely. I had a great experience dealing with them directly. I had to do the smaller tube due to factory A/C suitcase on firewall.

Good luck,
Derek

97 Camaro SS #1925 6spd (Cammed, now it sounds right!)
67 Camaro SS 350 #s Matching (Being Restored..umm covered in garage
)
11 GMC Sierra 2500hd (Driveway Queen)
09 Impala 175,000 and still going (Work Car)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Watch this:

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...ts/0_ujj8a8mw/

Lynn
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks for the reply Derek. I rang THMotorsports & they don't keep the headers in stock, they order them from Dynatech as required so no luck here.
Thanks anyways.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Watch this:
Not sure what your previous link is to but it does not work.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 04:34 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

69Z28 likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Got it now thanks. Thats an interesting video, relates fairly well to what I have as in cubes & HP at very similar RPM.

The 1 3/4" pipe was about 20HP down on the 1 7/8", even in the lower RPM's.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I have Lemons on mine, 1 7/8 stepped to 2. They are a custom made header but they have mock ups for the most common and oddballs too. So they build then ship, they dont need your car.
They will build them however you want, pipe size wise, steps, collector length etc. Awesome product and awesome folks to work with.

And they fit better than anything I have seen in a Camaro. And every plug is easily accessible. Better than my 1 3/4 headers by far.

I would definitely give them a call.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode