• 1 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 20, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harris

Garage
Stock 781 BBC Heads - Max rpm?

Hey guys,
do any of you know about the common limit rpm-wise with these heads in stock config?

Im tryring to figure out, till which max rpm i should design my valvetrain to be stable.

No point in an 8500rpm valvetrain, if the stock valves limit to e.g. 7500..

Heads: 336781
454, 73-85, oval-port, open chamber,
113-119cc, 256-258/114-116cc ports, 2.06in 1.72ex

Thanks in advance!

1967 Camaro SS/RS 396 Convertible 4-Speed L78-M20. I am happy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my car account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or peep into my garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Re: Stock 781 BBC Heads - Max rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris Roc Malouda View Post
Hey guys,
do any of you know about the common limit rpm-wise with these heads in stock config?

Im tryring to figure out, till which max rpm i should design my valvetrain to be stable.

No point in an 8500rpm valvetrain, if the stock valves limit to e.g. 7500..

Heads: 336781
454, 73-85, oval-port, open chamber,
113-119cc, 256-258/114-116cc ports, 2.06in 1.72ex

Thanks in advance!
I would check with Chris Straub @ Straub technologies, he would probably know
Harris Roc Malouda likes this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If your valve guides can keep the valves centered then it will be the valve spring that limits the RPM of the head. Recommend replacing the rocker studs with ARP studs, using PAC springs and a Rocker Arm Stud Girdle to maintain that high an RPM. A CompCam rev kit wouldn't hurt either, but it limits your choice in lifter bodies. The lighter you get things like valves (Ferrea titanium intake valves), with CompCam titanium valve retainers, and either hollow stem 21-4N steel alloy or sodium filled exhaust valves (depending on a power adder raising exhaust temps or normally aspirated) the more stable your valve train will be and the higher the engine can be spun and still make power. If you are not making power why spin it up?

You will need a solid roller cam to hit that high a goal and I recommend a minimum of a 7/16th inch diameter chromoly push rod with an adjustable guide plate to fit. Also the '781 had an exhaust valve rotator that has a deeper seat machined into the head; so you will need a spacer to fill the hole before you set the correct spring height.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 20, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harris

Garage

NEWS!

I talked to Chris Straub, he recommends with fully stock 781s, if:

1.) valvetrain is high-rpm-stable and all those parts are capable of these rpms --> lifters, 7/16s Pushrods, roller rockers, dual springs, light as possible remaining parts

2.) Bottom-End is up to that task:

7000 rpm bullet proof,

7400 absolute limit

so now we know!
Just 1 More likes this.

Check my car account
or peep into my garage

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 20, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

With what I recommended above I used to twist my tunnel ram two fours with vertex mag to 7,800 RPM all the time. never lost a bottom end. Ate a lot of valves figuring how to make everything live at high RPM, but discovered all it took was money to buy premium parts.

Big Dave
Just 1 More likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Harris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
With what I recommended above I used to twist my tunnel ram two fours with vertex mag to 7,800 RPM all the time. never lost a bottom end. Ate a lot of valves figuring how to make everything live at high RPM, but discovered all it took was money to buy premium parts.

Big Dave
Hi Dave,
What is a "two four with vertex mag" ?

And what exactly do you mean by "ate a lot of valve"?

I am impressed by that numbers.. what lifters, rockers, springs, Speck you have?

Btw Chris told me that his rockers are up Tasks in sky high 8500rpm. And the limits travel morel lifters up to even more.. so basically the valve weight + spring Combination determines the max... and in my case - stock valves - that 7400 seem to be a limit...

Check my car account
or peep into my garage

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris Roc Malouda View Post
Hi Dave,
What is a "two four with vertex mag" ?

And what exactly do you mean by "ate a lot of valve"?

I am impressed by that numbers.. what lifters, rockers, springs, Speck you have?

Btw Chris told me that his rockers are up Tasks in sky high 8500rpm. And the limits travel morel lifters up to even more.. so basically the valve weight + spring Combination determines the max... and in my case - stock valves - that 7400 seem to be a limit...
"two four with vertex mag" I raced back in the good old days. I had a 1968 Camaro RS/SS clone of Grumpy Jenkin's Pro Stock from 1970 (Grumpy's Toy IV). It was powered by an over the counter 427 L88 with an Edelbrock tunnel ram and two 660 cfm Holley carbs. Because point bounce and voltage was an issue with points style distributors I ran a Vertex Magneto that had strong springs on the points (that burnt up quickly) and out put ever increasing voltage to the plugs the faster I spun up the engine.

The BBC Chevy engine was designed to be a race engine. But to pay for the tooling it was produced mostly as a truck engine. This means the bottom end was designed to run 300,000 miles at wide open throttle. The bottom end was bullet proof. However because of the canted valves there were strong harmonics that developed in the springs (valves were tilted on two different axis). If you didn't run a damper on a dual spring the spring would break from metal fatigue as the engine reved. You also had to run over 450 pounds of open pressure on the springs to control the valves at high RPM. Because of this you were required to run a solid ROLLER lifter (the spring pressure would wipe the lobe off of a flat tappet cam). This didn't prevent spring failure (were the valve dropped down into a running engine destroying the piston, head and valve by the engine "eating" the valve), it just prolonged the interval between failures.

If you checked the spring pressure on the heads with this tool:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62391?rrec=true

You could find a weak spring about to break before it created carnage. I also ran triple wound springs instead of double wound springs to get one more spring to keep the valve from falling into the engine. Parts are cheap compared to the price of a complete engine being destroyed.

If you are going to wind a BBC up (Pro Stocks are now limited to only 10,500 RPM on shifts instead of winding them even higher) then you have to consider valve springs to be a consumable and replace them regularly.

Back in the early seventies I couldn't afford Titanium valves so I was limited to only 10.13 time slips while "da Grump" was capable of turning in 9.70 ETs.

Stock valves are made of a 5100 steel alloy that is friction welded (valve head to valve stem welded by heat of friction). I prefer tuliped stainless steel swirl polished valves that offer more flow at low valve lifts and are lighter than the stock steel valve. Titanium valves and retainers are a race only part due to the titanium metal quickly metal fatiguing and breaking apart. You also have to run lash caps with a titanium valves to keep the ends from mushrooming under the beating of a solid cam and 400 plus pounds of spring pressure.

One other thing is at high RPM the the actual rocker arm studs flex under the pressure so you have to run a stud girdle (in addition to ARP studs) or roller rockers on a pedestal (Jessel or T&D) which drives up the price. Since I keep my big blocks at a more reasonable 7,800 RPM instead of over 10 grand I can get by with a rev kit under the head and a stud girdle (old school). I run an HEI style distributor triggering a seven series ignition box now instead of a Mag, which has no points to bounce at high RPM.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode