69 Coupe Resto - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Re: 69 Coupe Resto

Hey, I didn't hold on to a car for 20 years to sell it. My friends would never let me hear the end of it. My wife has never even gotten a ride in it, and we've been married 15 years.

I will finish it. Although, we're never really finished. Let me say:

I will register and drive it. That's better...

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

That's awesome. You'll enjoy it when it's done.

I was just looking through your Picasa account and noticed that it has original paint! No? Looks like it's only been painted once at the factory. Pretty cool... rare find too.

I would love to bug you for some measurements when you have a chance. Trunk opening, height from trunk floor to package tray, door opening heights, etc... I always like to double-check that mine is as accurate as possible. However, these cars do vary a little bit from car to car, so measurements are only a good guide honestly. Would you mind if I PM'd you some measurement questions? Looks like a nice stock-unmolested car to get good solid figures from.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

The car is original body, original paint, original glass (other than the windshield). Other than some bad bondo work on the crunched doors It's all original. Send me whatever you want and I'll help out. That goes for anyone. I'd like to contribute where I can.

Bear in mind, right now, there is no upper cowl (but the FW is still in place) and the driver side quarter got crunched slightly.

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

George--- thanks so much!...

Here’s the dimensions I would love to verify: *(I provided the blank answer key below to enter the dimension into and then you can cut+paste them into your post) I can't help it, I'm a teacher. I fell like I just wrote a custom test for you to take. haha...

A. TRUNK OPENING:
1. Left to right across the car –measuring in the middle of the opening

2. Front to rear of the opening—measuring in the middle of the opening

B. DOOR OPENINGS: (passenger or driver side)
1. Top to bottom measuring at a 90 degree angle to the outer rocker panel flat surface where the sill plate mounts to the front end of the roof rail drip channel (to check the rocker panel height and overall door openng)

2. Top to bottom measuring at a 90 degree angle to the outer rocker panel flat surface where the sill plate mounts to the drip rail directly vertical of the door jamb striker bolt surface. (to check the rocker panel height and overall door openng)

C. TRUNK FLOOR TO REAR PACKAGE TRAY:
1. Measuring from the flat surface of the trunk floor directly underneath the package tray lowest surface where the speakers mount to. (*I need this on both sides please. (to check the measurement of the rear seat back surface from floor to package tray.)

D. INNER ROCKER PANEL TO INNER ROCKER PANEL:
1. Measuring across the floor board from inner rocker to inner rocker inside-most surfaces right where they end by the back seat. (to check the factory width of the full floor board from side to side.)

E. FRONT FLOOR ON TOP OF TRANNY TUNNEL TO THE FRONT WINDSHIELD OPENING:
1. Measuring from the top surface of the tranny tunnel to the bottom edge of the front windshield opening (to check my firewall positioning and floor height at the front of the car.)

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
a. Trunk opening:
1. Left to right across the car –measuring in the middle of the opening

2. Front to rear of the opening—measuring in the middle of the opening

b. Door openings: (passenger or driver side)
1. Top to bottom measuring at a 90 degree angle to the outer rocker panel flat surface where the sill plate mounts to the front end of the roof rail drip channel (to check the rocker panel height and overall door openng)

2. Top to bottom measuring at a 90 degree angle to the outer rocker panel flat surface where the sill plate mounts to the drip rail directly vertical of the door jamb striker bolt surface. (to check the rocker panel height and overall door openng)

c. Trunk floor to rear package tray:
1. Measuring from the flat surface of the trunk floor directly underneath the package tray lowest surface where the speakers mount to. (*i need this on both sides please. (to check the measurement of the rear seat back surface from floor to package tray.)

d. Inner rocker panel to inner rocker panel:
1. Measuring across the floor board from inner rocker to inner rocker inside-most surfaces right where they end by the back seat. (to check the factory width of the full floor board from side to side.)

e. Front floor on top of tranny tunnel to the front windshield opening:
1. Measuring from the top surface of the tranny tunnel to the bottom edge of the front windshield opening (to check my firewall positioning and floor height at the front of the car.)
Todd,

Here goes nothing. I hope it helps:

a: I couldn't get a consistent measurement across at center because of this: so I measured across at 9 inches down from the seam where the quarter meets the filler panel.
1.49 7/8

2.16 7/8 (I don't think that this measurement is too far off, even with the damage)

B:I couldn't figure out what you needed on the second measurement. This is how I measured for the first:

1.34 3/4 at the bottom of the drip rail

C: I used the sheet rock square here as well:

1. Driver side=12 1/8 Pass Side=12

D: had a little trouble with this because of the trans hump. Used welding magnets on the seam to raise the plane so this measurement is suspect
1. 48 3/4

E: I don't have a cowl any longer , so I can't get you this measurement
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

As promised, here are pics of my attempt at closing the blower motor hole.

I opened up the hole with the plasma to get to flat steel and mocked up the patch. So far so good.

Then my really bad welds.

And the finish work:

And that makes it look better than it is. There are pinholes and lots of uneven areas. I kept increasing the wire speed which helped the coverage, but was depositing too much metal. I ground off a ton of weld. I'm sure I would improve with practice, but I don't want to practice on this car. I'll have to find some 80's G-Body to mess with.

Thanks for listening, or reading.

George
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

George-- thanks so much for measuring. I just went outside and compared them all (except for the trunk opening since mine is not clamped together right now).

For the door opening --exactly how you measured it is exactly what I meant--nice.... BUT-- I am getting 35 3/4" exactly for each side. Are you sure about the 34 3/4" for that? It would be horrible to be a full inch off there. My doors fit nicely, but I haven't rolled up my glass yet. Would you mind re-checking just that one please?

Also, my package tray, measuring down through each speaker hole as you did, were 13 1/4" and 13 1/8" (L+R) I measured straight down perpendicularly to the trunk floor at the center of each speaker hole for those. Well, I guess that's why they make drop springs right? he he... If my floor is too low, it will raise the rear end of the car by that much since the spring pockets are lowered too. Hmmmm... The good news is since I am tall, I will have more headroom right? That will work out well since I will have power seat tracks that usually sit slightly taller than manuals.

Then, finally... I got 47" across the floor-- measuring right on the seam where the trunk floor meets the main floor. (no tranny hump in the way there)

Thanks again for the help. Will wait for your re-check on the ones mentioned. I won't be able to sleep without knowing...

My build thread:

post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 10, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkala View Post
As promised, here are pics of my attempt at closing the blower motor hole.

I opened up the hole with the plasma to get to flat steel and mocked up the patch. So far so good.

Then my really bad welds.

And the finish work:

And that makes it look better than it is. There are pinholes and lots of uneven areas. I kept increasing the wire speed which helped the coverage, but was depositing too much metal. I ground off a ton of weld. I'm sure I would improve with practice, but I don't want to practice on this car. I'll have to find some 80's G-Body to mess with.

Thanks for listening, or reading.

George
That's not horrible, and would just take a little tweaking to get to look right and be water tight. Do you have an angle grinder that you can attach a roloc attachment to? Also, are you using argon/co2 gas with your welder? After smoothing it out with 60 grit without taking off any cowl box metal, then checking for pinholes and weld-filling those with quick tacks, then taking the roloc 60 grit there one more time, and then again with a 180 grit roloc, I bet it would look good. Those types of repairs are most times done in several steps I have found. Sometimes you are playing the back and forth game just to make it look right. Maybe try it before shipping it off to moneyland? It's worth a shot...

My build thread:

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I sure hope you didn't wait for my response. I went right to bed after Game 1 ended.

I ran into the garage before leaving for work and dbl-checked myself. Note to self, when using a sheet rock square to measure-add 1 1/2" for that header. Oops. I can see why these things take me so long to do.

That makes the door measurement 36 1/4" and the package tray 13 5/8" and 13 1/2". That is still a 1/2" off from what you have. I will measure the passenger side door when I get home as a second reference and I'll get you that last measurement as well. That would basically be inner wheel well to inner wheel well at the trunk seam.

Thanks for taking it easy on me on the welding critique. I used argon/co2 with .023 E70S-6 wire. I finished with a 4" flap disc and 36 grit rolocs, never got to a higher grit. I gave up at that point when I saw all the pinholes coming through. The pics make it look much better than it is, and it ONLY took me 5 hours! I don't have that much patience. I will try to learn the art of welding, I just don't want to do it on this car.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Todd,

The passenger door also measures 36 1/4". The width at the end of the floor is 46 3/4". Let me know if you want anything else.

I wasn't sure if anyone likes original tags and stickers:

I feel a bit bad that they're going to disappear.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

George

Thanks again. That's perfect. I get 47" at the rear trunk seam, but it may be that since I was having a hard time leaning through the door opening with the door closed and holding the tape still, so it's probably the same. As for the door openings, to the bottom of the drip rail ( which I just removed---DOH!) so I had to clamp them back on, I got 35 3/4" measuring from the large flat area on the outer rocker panel where the sill plate would sit. That means our cars door opening heights are 1/2" off. Hmmmmm.... It may be a difference in how we are measuring? I hope! I also have those nice NORWOOD plant door stickers. I carefully heated them up with a heat gun and peeled them off to save them.

My build thread:

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 10, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Does anyone have a body shop they can recommend for blocking and painting once I get my car back from Tony? I am willing to travel to get a good job done (I'm in Queens, NY). I've started to make some phone calls, but wanted to check with you guys. This would be the first car I've ever had painted. Thanks.

George
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Just a short update. Tony from Muscle Car Metal picked up the car on Thursday:

That frees up my garage to tear down my front sheet metal. I might be able to get to it tomorrow.

I feel like I'm cheating with all you guys doing your own sheet metal. I'll be more comfortable with the wrenching. I'll try to update again soon.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 07:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Man!--- that's going to be exciting for you when you finally get to see your Camaro for the first time again after they are done with it. Listen--- it's not cheating... it's getting it done-- and that's what matters. There aren't many people that are good at everything.. and if they are, something's got to give. Remember that saying "Jack of all trades and master of none"? Make the most of the time while the car's out of the way... you have the right idea.

My build thread:

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I didn't get to the disassembly, but I did manage to move the front half to the middle of the garage to take some pics. I know my frame and rad support color is not going to be everyone's liking, but I had it powdered in the early 90's and I still like it. Suspension rebuilt with PST poly parts and Moog springs (don't remember which part number).

All original metal except for the fenders. Mine were rotted completely and these were a swap meet find that were supposed to be temporary. I think they are original GM. They both have rust in the lower rear. I need to strip them to see if they are worth saving.

A view from above with the original DX-1 stripe.

That's it for now. I will post if I have any progress.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode