69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time! - Page 11 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 08:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Pat

Re: 69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time!

Mike, drop the subframe. If you want I can come give you a hand this weekend or on Monday. We could have it out in no time. While its out we can pull the motor so you can do the frame and firewall. When its done its easy to put the 350 in. I believe all you need for now are the motor mounts which I think I have. Let me know, Pat.

1969 Camaro X77 Z/28 Lemans Blue
1991 Camaro z28 1LE-R7U #58 Players Challenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67restoproj View Post
Mike, drop the subframe. If you want I can come give you a hand this weekend or on Monday. We could have it out in no time. While its out we can pull the motor so you can do the frame and firewall. When its done its easy to put the 350 in. I believe all you need for now are the motor mounts which I think I have. Let me know, Pat.
Hey Pat give me a call. Monday would work. I have to do it at the shop. Once I pull the subframe I need to blast it, swap the coils and paint it. Then put in the small block and re install.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Blending is a waste of both time and money, and so is any temporary paint. The % of white left after repairs is too small for effective blending and the result would be an inferior job anyway. You're there, you know the schedule and finances. It's jamb it and do it later, or do it now, shoot the car and get it over with.
Thanks Scott. How did I know you were going to say that. I know you are right.

My Build Thread

post #154 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron67mm View Post
blending is a waste of both time and money, and so is any temporary paint. The % of white left after repairs is too small for effective blending and the result would be an inferior job anyway. You're there, you know the schedule and finances. It's jamb it and do it later, or do it now, shoot the car and get it over with.
x2
post #155 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

You could shoot some Zinc Chromate on the bare metal then shoot some poly primer until your ready to paint. Spot painting and blending is a waste of time and you will have more work later when you decide to paint it Cortez or the 2010 Camaro Silver.
post #156 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 04:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

My original suggestion is my favorite choice, paint it now--Cortez Silver with black stripes ( it does sound like what Mike really wants)... not blending or temporary work... I agree 100% guys. However, Mike has just been so "on the fence" with the decision, I just thought to suggest all possibilities to let him decide. It is his car afterall and no one on here can make a decision for him. We can only offer friendly advice. (or not-so friendly depending on how you read/take it)...

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #157 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
You could shoot some Zinc Chromate on the bare metal then shoot some poly primer until your ready to paint. Spot painting and blending is a waste of time and you will have more work later when you decide to paint it Cortez or the 2010 Camaro Silver.
Hey Bruce how close is the 2010 Camaro Silver to Cortez Silver? I wonder if that would be a good color choice.

My Build Thread

post #158 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
My original suggestion is my favorite choice, paint it now--Cortez Silver with black stripes ( it does sound like what Mike really wants)... not blending or temporary work... I agree 100% guys. However, Mike has just been so "on the fence" with the decision, I just thought to suggest all possibilities to let him decide. It is his car afterall and no one on here can make a decision for him. We can only offer friendly advice. (or not-so friendly depending on how you read/take it)...
Thanks Todd. I will be on the fence until it is in the paint booth most likely. But, hey that's just me. If the entire car gets painted it will be silver. Just waiting for an estimate on cost and the owner has been out of town, hence the lack of facts and direction. Should be all wrapped up next week. Sure is a lot of work. More than I thought. I thought it would have all been done in 2 weeks. Hello! What was I thinking?

My Build Thread

post #159 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

DAY ELEVEN PROGRESS

Not all that much progress. Spent most of the time today power washing the engine and subframe, firewall etc. 41 years of crap came right off and I was pretty pleased with was was under for the most part. Next step more stripping. painting and detailing. This will buy me enough time until next week when I get the paint thing sorted out. No matter what, now that the car is this far apart I need to get it finished up so I can start to hang the sheet metal back on it. Check it out.

Is all this overspray correct from new or was it from a repaint? A lot of the overspray came off with the power washer.

Hey Todd check out the condition of these tulips. Notice how the paint came off the seam sealer only. Wierd as inside the car the seam sealer is on top of the paint but on the cowl it appears to be under the paint. Would this indicate a repaint?

Original coils springs with sticker still in place. It was all there until I blasted it today with the pressure washer. I used a 2500 PSI unit. If I had gone any stronger it would have removed a lot more paint. Perhaps it would have been better with more PSI. Might step it up a notch tomorrow to see how much more gunk and paint I can strip off. Ever hear of power washers with a sand mixture?

Sandblasting parts takes forever with this ancient machine.

My Build Thread

Last edited by 69z28freak; Nov 4th, 10 at 09:01 PM.
post #160 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Hey Mike, what are you using for stripping the frame?
post #161 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dred View Post
Hey Mike, what are you using for stripping the frame?
Hey Doug. I used a wire wheel. It works pretty good. Might need a little sand blasting on the deeper surface rust, but for the most part the wheel works great. I use about 4 different sizes. One for large surfaces and so on. I also scraped the undercoating off first with a putty knife. Since power washing today I suggest doing that first. Use degreaser. leave it on for 30 minutes then wash. I also suggest at least a 3500 PSI unit. I think that will blast everything off. Also I heard there is a devise that can add sand to the power washer. I kind of did it backwards but I now know what works. Also a high power pressure washer might work great under your car. Might save a lot of time. That is what I am going to do when it comes time.

My Build Thread

post #162 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

There was no body color overspray on the radiator support and other parts you observed. The nose was painted in pieces and off the car at the factory. The wiper transmission was installed after paint and should not be body color. Those are not tulip panels. Seam sealer application and other data addressing your obsevations are obtainable in the "First Gen Assy Process" report. Do you know there is a section on CRG dedicated to 6-cylinder cars? Documenting things like those spring tags and various original parts may be helpful to others.
post #163 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Mike, I haven't seen a 2010 silver next to a 69, but most of the new paints have either more metallac or pearl in them to give it a little more bling. You can compare paint chips at the auto paint store, but you should go to the chevy store and look. I shot a coat of pearl on my white stripes to give it a little more shimmer and it really sets it off against the black. Looks like your making good progress and getting the dirty jobs out of the way. You can use some Eastwood Chasis black either in a gun or cans for later touch up, or shoot some semi gloss enamel on the floor pans and frame. Different parts have different sheens if you want to be a purest and Eastwood has the stuff. I would suggest a good primer first then your color coat. I use PPG products for years and have had good luck, your painted has his favorite as well. Keep it up, I am installing console and dash next on my project, just back from welding the exhaust and aligning the front end. First time it has been out of the shop since I started almost 2 years ago!
post #164 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Coming along nicely Mike! Now hurry up, I wanna see it in paint!

69 X-44/ 427BB/ M22/ 12 bolt
Muscle cars, more expensive than crack!
post #165 of 3197 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
There was no body color overspray on the radiator support and other parts you observed. The nose was painted in pieces and off the car at the factory. The wiper transmission was installed after paint and should not be body color. Those are not tulip panels. Seam sealer application and other data addressing your obsevations are obtainable in the "First Gen Assy Process" report. Do you know there is a section on CRG dedicated to 6-cylinder cars? Documenting things like those spring tags and various original parts may be helpful to others.
Thanks Scott I had no idea about the CRG 6 Cylinder info. I will check it out.

My Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode