69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time! - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Re: 69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time!

I swear I am going to spend as little as possible on the car an just try to drive it as close to stock as possible and change the least amount of parts.

Famous Last Words...

But I mean it this time!

righhhtt! We'll remind you of this!! My 67 doesnt have paint on it now, it was butternut yellow from the factory. I've been playing with some paint colors and came up with Bermuda Blue Metallic. We sprayed the windshield cowl today to see how it looks and OHHH YEAH!!! Its going to be sharp! Enough of mine, I dont want to hijack your thread!!

1967 Camaro Yenko Pro Touring Tribute (being built)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Ca...item3ef06d02bc

I put one in mine.

Follow my build
post #33 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 11:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
How do you feel about only replacing part of the outter wheel well? I was thinking since most of it is solid I would keep as much original solid metal as possible. Had the same idea for the quarter. Doh!

The partial replacement on the outer wheel well makes perfect sense if the rest of it looks solid. That sounds right to me. Have you checked out jamesfreddy's informative videos on his thread yet? He did the same exact repair on a '68 Firebird on it's outer wheel well too. Turned out awesome and that's a part you really never see since it's tucked under the quarter anyway. Going to bed, I'm beat like a scrambled egg!

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #34 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
The partial replacement on the outer wheel well makes perfect sense if the rest of it looks solid. That sounds right to me. Have you checked out jamesfreddy's informative videos on his thread yet? He did the same exact repair on a '68 Firebird on it's outer wheel well too. Turned out awesome and that's a part you really never see since it's tucked under the quarter anyway. Going to bed, I'm beat like a scrambled egg!
Thanks Todd. I'll post tomorrow night and let you know how I make out. Your advice in invaluable and enjoyable.

Good night John Boy!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #35 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandara View Post
Mike,

The guys I used for my parts are just an hour away from you and have 95% of all the parts I ordered in stock including the two full quarters I bought. They do stock the AMD stuff, its where my AMD trunk lid came from as well.

http://www.hotrodsclassics.ca/

Hey Kevin I am going to call them in the morning. How did you find the AMD quality?

My Build Thread

post #36 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 04:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Pat

Mike, Make sure you cover all your glass or remove it. The sparks from the grinding wheel will pit them. Ask me how I know Looks good.Keep up the good work

1969 Camaro X77 Z/28 Lemans Blue
1991 Camaro z28 1LE-R7U #58 Players Challenge
post #37 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Hey Kevin I am going to call them in the morning. How did you find the AMD quality?
When I went down to pick up my order they had four lids to look at 3 were metal and one was glass. I had no interest in the fiber glass lid so did not bother looking it over. The other 3 were all metal and I can not remember where they said the other two originated from. I do recall there was a price difference between all of them and it went up with the quality. By far and away the AMD product was the best stamped. You could physically see the difference and feel it, the AMD was a few pounds heavier due to heavier gauge metal. It was no contest I brought the AMD part home with me, it did cost an extra $85 but well worth it. The other AMD parts I have bought and or looked at seem to be a superior product as well hopefully they keep doing what they have been doing so far.

My 68's resurrection thread

post #38 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67restoproj View Post
Mike, Make sure you cover all your glass or remove it. The sparks from the grinding wheel will pit them. Ask me how I know Looks good.Keep up the good work
Hey PAt. Rear glass is out as I am only working on the rear right now. I will take your advice and cover any glass in the areas I am working on. Front glass is coming out as well.

We should get together agian some time that was fun to hang out. You car looks great and the sound of the big block sold me right away.

My Build Thread

post #39 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandara View Post
When I went down to pick up my order they had four lids to look at 3 were metal and one was glass. I had no interest in the fiber glass lid so did not bother looking it over. The other 3 were all metal and I can not remember where they said the other two originated from. I do recall there was a price difference between all of them and it went up with the quality. By far and away the AMD product was the best stamped. You could physically see the difference and feel it, the AMD was a few pounds heavier due to heavier gauge metal. It was no contest I brought the AMD part home with me, it did cost an extra $85 but well worth it. The other AMD parts I have bought and or looked at seem to be a superior product as well hopefully they keep doing what they have been doing so far.
Thanks Kevin I will make sure to order AMD for any other panels I may need. Not sure if I need any at this point but I will find out soon enough!

My Build Thread

post #40 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

DAY THREE PROGRESS

Well as luck would have it when I got to the shop this morning Don already had both the quarter and outter wheel well mocked up and cut up, so I am stuck with the crappy quarter. But I am not worried I think Don will do me well.

Here is the rough mock up. It is going to need a lot of work. Now I finally know what everyone has been talking about the whole time. Look at how high the top of the quarter sits. Dons says no problem. I guess I will see how he works his magic.

Cleaning up inner wheel well before covering in gravel guard.

Removed the factory undercoating. The only way I could remove it was to heat with a torch and scrape it off with a putty knife. With out heating it, it is like solid magma and will not budge, event with a grinder. Another trick I learned from Don today. The inside and outside of the inner wheel wells as well as the inside of the Quarter will be sprayed with gravel guard. It will act as a rust prevetative and sound deadner. I hope! The good news is that so far everywhere I have removed the factory under coating, the metal underneath is like brand new. Too bad about the other rust areas.

Salvaging the original rear drop off

Cut the outter wheel well in half for the mating

Here is a surprise I was not wishing for, but Don is calm and says it is no problem. I am learning a lot from Don and only three days into it.

Cleaning up the rear quarter seams

My new home for the next little while. A simple Goal... To Finish!

My Build Thread

Last edited by 69z28freak; Oct 21st, 10 at 09:10 PM.
post #41 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 09:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

It looks like he does nice quality work. Great progress so far, and the quarter skin looks like it lines up nicely (from the pics). Always easier to judge in person ya know... but it looks great! Wish mine was that fast of a repair. Consider yourself lucky with such a solid car (comparitively speaking). It is 41 years old, so it's to be expected. I think you'll be happier than a Happy Gilmore with it in the end. (great movie by the way)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #42 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
It looks like he does nice quality work. Great progress so far, and the quarter skin looks like it lines up nicely (from the pics). Always easier to judge in person ya know... but it looks great! Wish mine was that fast of a repair. Consider yourself lucky with such a solid car (comparitively speaking). It is 41 years old, so it's to be expected. I think you'll be happier than a Happy Gilmore with it in the end. (great movie by the way)
Thanks Todd you can live Vicariously through me if you want. Not sure if that applies to me driving my car or having a six banger, and I can live through you knowing that you are doing it the right way, we all dream of!

I am sure there will be more surprises as well as I go, as you know only to well. I hope Jeff finds a car that he can drive and be happy with. I know exactly where he is coming from. Dang, theres that damn parallel planet thang happening again!

Can't wait to see your car roasting over the coals on that fancy Roto/SS. Drool, drool... It's BBQ season!

My Build Thread

post #43 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 03:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Can't wait to see your car roasting over the coals on that fancy Roto/SS. Drool, drool... It's BBQ season!

Just call me the "Pit Boss".

My build thread:

post #44 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

DAY FOUR PROGRESS:

Well here is todays' progress. Just a lot of prep for the rear quarter. I wish I would have gone for the full quarter but since I resigned to the fact that I am building a daily driver I am over it. I was beating myself up over not using an AMD full quarter, but I am one with the project and will see it through I hope. As we all know these projects take a toll on us financially, emotionally, and at times physically. But I guess that is why we do it, cause we love the challenge it presents and the strong desire we have to succeed and create something we love with our hands. Sorry If I got too deep for a moment. here's the update...

Applied etching primer to bare metal. Wheel well and drop off. Next will apply gravel guard to wheel well top and bottom as well as the inside of the quarter, then mount quarter. I hope to have the quarter done next week. Note the part number stamping on the drop off panel. Other than some major rust issues this car is very original. Still some of welding to do to finish on the drop off patch piece I made today and outter wheel well .

It is but weld city or as Don calls it hammer welding. He used a torch, and hammers the weld flat. He is very old school. He works very fast and really knows his stuff. I am very fortunate to have him teaching me the trade and working on my car. I am amazed at how long and how much work is involved to mount the quarter. Hopefully have it done by day 5. I am kind of freaked out because as I move forward, the deeper I dig the more I find I need to do that I did not plan on. Welcome to restoland my friend...

My Build Thread

Last edited by 69z28freak; Oct 23rd, 10 at 01:07 AM.
post #45 of 3197 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Nothing wrong with that Mike, looking good! Thought about you today, I had my Buick Turbo T in a car show today and a lady had a 69 Camaro in white just like yours. It was nice!

Follow my build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode