69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time! - Page 51 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #751 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 11, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 69 Grandma to COPO Clone Resto... One step at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
That's too funny. I have been thinking the same thing. Any color will look awesome on these cars if done right. My indecision at that point will be a HUGE hurdle for me to jump over. Frost Green, or ????
Hey Todd I have been a bit out of the loop lately. What is new with you car. You must be almost finished by now. Looking forward to new pics!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Thanks Dean it has been a roller coaster ride for sure. Ups and downs, good and bad, but I guess there is a certain amount of that in all builds I am learning.
I know exactly where you’re coming from getting down to the last few items on mine. Drove it around the parking lot a week or so ago took another week to wipe the smile off my face.

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #753 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man View Post
I know exactly where you’re coming from getting down to the last few items on mine. Drove it around the parking lot a week or so ago took another week to wipe the smile off my face.
Hey Dean I love you car it looks amazing. I can't tell from the pictures if it is dark green or black. Either way it looks great. What is your drive train?

My Build Thread

post #754 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Quote:
Hey Dean I love you car it looks amazing. I can't tell from the pictures if it is dark green or black. Either way it looks great. What is your drive train?
Thanks Mike,
It's Fathom Green with a very slight darker tint.

Drive Train:
302 TKO600 4:10 12 bolt
Click on the link in my signature for pictures in the show gallery.
Lot's of pictures there.

And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #755 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Hey Todd I have been a bit out of the loop lately. What is new with you car. You must be almost finished by now. Looking forward to new pics!

It's all in the thread man... all in the thread.

All I will say is.... LET THERE BE PROGRESS!

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #756 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Thanks Mike,
It's Fathom Green with a very slight darker tint.

Drive Train:
302 TKO600 4:10 12 bolt
Click on the link in my signature for pictures in the show gallery.
Lot's of pictures there.
Hey Dean is it the original motor? I love the dark green. I had a Z28 same color way back in '79 and I loved it. At night it looks black. At the time I wished my car was black, but over time the color really grew on me. I would love to have that color combo now. However I wasn't all that crazy about the green interior. Mine had a light green interior, but if I had a car that looked like yours I wouldn't care what color the interior is. Very nice all the way around.

My Build Thread

post #757 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech
Vic

mike, amzing build! where are you building out of? id love to come check it out this spring, ill bring my camaro down

im still pending inspection and timing, thinking about going to classic and performance down on riverroad delta.. any suggestions?

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #758 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
mike, amzing build! where are you building out of? id love to come check it out this spring, ill bring my camaro down

im still pending inspection and timing, thinking about going to classic and performance down on riverroad delta.. any suggestions?
Hey Vic I have been working on the car in Mission. Quite a hall from North Van. I have been to see Mike at Classic and Performance. They built a '69 Charger for a friend of mine. It was not cheap, but it sure was nice. All Black and very mean. I was going to get them to build my '68, but the cost was way off the map, so I attempted it myself. They have done some pretty high end cars and the shop is really nice. I hope you are getting a good deal. When I went out to take a look a few years back they had a few Camaros in the shop. Keep me posted on your car. I should be all done by the end of the month. Do you have any recent pics?

What are you planning on doing exactly? Just paint? I can get a quote for you from the shop that painted mine if you want to shop around.

Did you get a quote already from Classic and Performance?

My Build Thread

Last edited by 69z28freak; Mar 10th, 11 at 11:59 PM.
post #759 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Quote:
Hey Dean is it the original motor? I love the dark green. I had a Z28 same color way back in '79 and I loved it. At night it looks black. At the time I wished my car was black, but over time the color really grew on me. I would love to have that color combo now. However I wasn't all that crazy about the green interior. Mine had a light green interior, but if I had a car that looked like yours I wouldn't care what color the interior is. Very nice all the way around.
Mike,
Current 302 is not original to my car but it is date correct.
A little history on my car I bought it in 1986 undocumented Van Nuys car so that gave me a clean slate.
Upon tearing it down in 1987 it was apparent to me it was a real Z/28 way to many unique parts that no one back then was replacing.
The car sat dissembled in my shop for some 20 years as I am also heavily involved Street Rods mostly 32-34 Fords.
I have a couple close and very talented friends Rick & Shannon who would stop by the shop and motivate me to get going on the Camaro.
And finally in 09 we started on it, been a long time coming but I was never on any type of schedule.
I have restored all the stock Z/28 items along side and put them on a shelf just incase I may want to go back to stock someday. “I don’t think that will happen but you never know”
With there help my dream Camaro is about done, it replicates the way we build our 32-34's never stepping to far away from the traditional factory look.
The Fathom Green came from the trim tag, another color and it would have been Cortez Silver with Black stripes, Sound familiar? Thanks for your comments it’s nice when your peers appreciate the hard work involved in doing such a restoration.

And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #760 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Mike,
Current 302 is not original to my car but it is date correct.
A little history on my car I bought it in 1986 undocumented Van Nuys car so that gave me a clean slate.
Upon tearing it down in 1987 it was apparent to me it was a real Z/28 way to many unique parts that no one back then was replacing.
The car sat dissembled in my shop for some 20 years as I am also heavily involved Street Rods mostly 32-34 Fords.
I have a couple close and very talented friends Rick & Shannon who would stop by the shop and motivate me to get going on the Camaro.
And finally in 09 we started on it, been a long time coming but I was never on any type of schedule.
I have restored all the stock Z/28 items along side and put them on a shelf just incase I may want to go back to stock someday. “I don’t think that will happen but you never know”
With there help my dream Camaro is about done, it replicates the way we build our 32-34's never stepping to far away from the traditional factory look.
The Fathom Green came from the trim tag, another color and it would have been Cortez Silver with Black stripes, Sound familiar? Thanks for your comments it’s nice when your peers appreciate the hard work involved in doing such a restoration.
Very nice job Mike. I hope to someday own a real Z28, but for now I will just have to settrle for what I have. At this point I will just be happy to get a small block in it, then add the stick and gears. I will keep the original parts as well incase when I sell it the new owner wants to put it back to original. I think it is always a great option and a bonus if required.

My Build Thread

post #761 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Vic

Quote:
Hey Vic I have been working on the car in Mission. Quite a hall from North Van. I have been to see Mike at Classic and Performance. They built a '69 Charger for a friend of mine. It was not cheap, but it sure was nice. All Black and very mean. I was going to get them to build my '68, but the cost was way off the map, so I attempted it myself. They have done some pretty high end cars and the shop is really nice. I hope you are getting a good deal. When I went out to take a look a few years back they had a few Camaros in the shop. Keep me posted on your car. I should be all done by the end of the month. Do you have any recent pics?

What are you planning on doing exactly? Just paint? I can get a quote for you from the shop that painted mine if you want to shop around.

Did you get a quote already from Classic and Performance?

I got a quote of a 100 an hour, i am just getting inspection and timing done, dont knwo exactly how long they need to do that.

I have got paint, im not too happy with it, how much did you spend on your paint? i really hoped i picked someone else to do my car, but i have a friend that works for mercedes, and hes been painting cars there for many years, he said he wouldnt mind wet sanding and recoating it with a black of my choice.

Would you recommend someone else for timing and inspection? they are local to me, i live in north delta, so river road is only a 10 mins drive/tow

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #762 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
I got a quote of a 100 an hour, i am just getting inspection and timing done, dont knwo exactly how long they need to do that.

I have got paint, im not too happy with it, how much did you spend on your paint? i really hoped i picked someone else to do my car, but i have a friend that works for mercedes, and hes been painting cars there for many years, he said he wouldnt mind wet sanding and recoating it with a black of my choice.

Would you recommend someone else for timing and inspection? they are local to me, i live in north delta, so river road is only a 10 mins drive/tow
Hey Vic who did your paint? Was it your friend or is he just offereing to help fix it? What is wrong with your paint? I have not got my final bill yet, but as you know I had a lot of body work and prep done, so I am not sure how much just the paint portion was. Did you get a paint quote from Classic and Performance or just the hourly rate? I do know one thing, these cars cost a lot to paint.

I take it you are just looking for a quote for the inspection and timing and not the paint. I know that Doug Red needs to get his car inspected as he bought it in the states and the car needs an inspection to get registered. I can check with the shop. My guess right off the bat is that the shop rate is around half of what Classic and Performance is.

My Build Thread

post #763 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I guess that I will take a chance here and se if I get any feedback, if not I will start a new thead. I am getting to the point where I am going to put the last few parts on the car and I am wondering what the best method for cleaning. All stainless is being polished and I was told to use fine steel wool or SOS pads on the chrome. Also what is the best way to clean the interior, seats and side panels, side marker and rear tail lights. Also the interior, dash,pad, steering wheel, and that is about it.

My Build Thread

post #764 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Almost forgot. Grill went on today and it is not lined up. Unfortunatly the front end was not mocked up. Any ideas as to what is the best way to get a better fit on the grill. Thanks

My Build Thread

post #765 of 3197 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Did it fit that poorly before? Same grille or new?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode