A week or so ago I pulled the whole rearend out to work on cleaning it up. After giving it a good scrubbing with some degreaser I put put together a Evaporust recirculation setup using some thick black plastic sheeting, a concrete mixing pan and an using an old submersible pump I had. Started out with just doing the center section and half the axles.
Then wrapped the whole thing with shop towels and sealed up the ends around the axles.
Let it run for a couple days and flipped the axle over once as well. Tried to do the same thing with the rest of it but by that time the Evaporust was no longer affective.
Still had some some deeper rust on cover but the main cast iron center section turned out pretty good. Can actually see the original blue paint inspection mark.
Most of the rust in this photo is just flash rust from being exposed to elements for a couple days.
Yesterday was my day off so spent about 12hours working on various things including cleaning up the remainder of the rearend.
The weather man was calling for rain today and tomorrow so decided to work as late as possible to get it painted before the rain. Had debated getting some DP90 to paint it but decided to just use the SEM Trim Black that I already.
Here's what it looks like this morning.
Also painted all the misc suspension brackets and fuel tank straps.
PVC pipe in the background is my driveshaft soaking in Evaporust. Saw the idea in another build thread.