69 rustbucket turning to 69 Camaro. - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

69 rustbucket turning to 69 Camaro.

I didn't know if I should have posted this on this forum or in the body shop. I have been building this car about the same time Todd started his 69. The only thing that slows me down is that I went back to school after 16 years to become a smrt Enguneer. .

My question is on the section where the quarters meet behind the rear window, The quarter panels go under that panel right? I would just have to do some light hammering and mending to get it to line up.

I attached some pics

Thanks in advance!

PS: See Todd! I don't just roam around the forums without working on my car.
and look some actual welds too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0533.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	33915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0535.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	33916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0534.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	33917  

Name:	DSC_0536.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	33918  

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 03:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Re: 69 rustbucket turning to 69 Camaro.

Roger! Glad you finally started your own build thread so we can follow along WITH PICS!
You have the rear (filler) tulip panel positioned correctly--yes. It gets placed on top of the quarters as you have it. You will most likely have to do some minor trimming, filing and/or reshaping on the filler panel ends to make it sit cleanly and tight with the quarters. I had to on both cars I'm building. Call it "par" for the "repro" course.

I used locking pliers on those seams from inside the trunk, and a ratchet tie strapped around the entire rear end of the car (from side to side) pulling the quarters towards each other to get it as tight as possible there too. Every little bit helps and acts as extra hands for this...

Looking great! Very happy for ya...

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Thanks Todd!

Yeah I learned early on that those ratcheting straps can be your best friend especially when your working on the car buy yourself.

1969 Camaro

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech
claes

Just another option I used I welded tabs to the quarters in the corners by the weatherstrip channel on each side with a hole for a ratchet strap and sucked the quarters together worked great and no chance of crushing the outer skin with the straps when done break the welds on the tabs and grind down the tack welds easy spot to clean up and no one will see it
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede1969 View Post
Just another option I used I welded tabs to the quarters in the corners by the weatherstrip channel on each side with a hole for a ratchet strap and sucked the quarters together worked great and no chance of crushing the outer skin with the straps when done break the welds on the tabs and grind down the tack welds easy spot to clean up and no one will see it
I like this idea better. Of course, it will only help pull them in at the tops of the panels, not near the drop offs and tail light panel. But definitely a great technique for the rear (filler) tulip panel seams.

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede1969 View Post

I think this is a good idea as well.

I was looking at the rear of the car extensively last night and was not shocked to find that how many times I would be removing and placing, removing and placing and grinding and cutting and placing and removing....... You pros get the idea. in order to line up the rear section of the car. I am going to try and get to work on it today. I want to finish welding the passengers side frame rails in and also the passenger side mini tub. I have already welded the frame rails in the trunk, just need to weld them around the wheel tub area and in side the car. Then the mini tub. Once that is finished I will focus on aligning the quarters and rear of the car sheet metal.

I was trying to wait to the end and align everything like I originally planned but I have come to realize its pointless to do that. So, I align as close as I can get just to make sure I am on the right path and work from there.

1969 Camaro

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Look Todd! I'm Welding, I'm WELDING!!

( for those Looney Tunes lovers out there, Suppose to sound like " Look MA I'm Dancing, I'M DANCING!!") <---- I believe it was Daffy Duck at this one.

Thanks for the push Todd!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0535.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	33942   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0537.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	33943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0539.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	33944  

Name:	DSC_0541.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	33945  

1969 Camaro

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 04:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Haha! I remember that episode... classic. Glad to see you back at it! Remember to keep your metal as clean as can be around your plugs. I use a 180 grit / 2" roloc to clean away the edp around the plug weld holes I punch. Keep it up!

My build thread:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

and you really only need weld-thru primer where to panels meet at the seam. Not necessary to coat plug welds on an exposed surface. Just roloc wire wheel, or hand sand them clean later on right before coating them in epoxy.

My build thread:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Yeah thanks. I ve keeping my welds clean with the 180 like you mention. Whn i cqnt get it with the 180 ill use the wire wheel as well. The red primer you see is the weld thru primer im using between the metals. Did not realize it was red until i sprayed it.

I will go back and get any bare metal with a wire wheel before I epoxy primer it.

1969 Camaro

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 08:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Good deal... Yea-- weld-thru primer has terrible adhesion --especially under epoxy. Not good to do... You're making some nice progress! I need to jump in now! (been restoring several sets of GM A-body power door locks today (wire harness work, etc)... my hands are killing me!)

My build thread:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Hey Tood,

Here some pics of what we were talking about. I think that they are pretty straight on. Oh and yes I did weld the in already.

In the pics with me pointing and showing the SFH (BFH mini me), I just have to tap it in a little so that the quarter will slide in and meet edge to edge on the lip of the wheel housing. I hope I am explaining this part right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0533.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	34289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0536.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	34297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0537.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	34305  

Name:	DSC_0538.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	34313  

1969 Camaro

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Yes... those flanges look like they will have to be messaged upward and more level to mate with the quarters. You figured it right... nice work Rooger. (you spelled my name Tood) oh and.... I wish I tubbed my '69.... Grrrrr.....

My build thread:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Sorry about the typo lol

1969 Camaro

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Haha.... yep-- this new 10 min or less "edit window" will getcha every time. Glad to see you back at it. Maybe if you get some free time, you can head up here for a day and kick me into gear. Can't seem to escape the norm yet... I'm using the '68 as a parts hanger rack now.

My build thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode