LS Conversion Complete - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 13, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

LS Conversion Complete

It took me three years to get the conversion done and here it is. Tried to keep it as stock looking as possible. No additional bling.

The engine is an L92 from a 2007 Cadillac Escalade (used w/28k miles) with an LS3 intake, injectors, throttle body and 2010 Camaro accessory drive. I used Doug's Headers and engine adapters. The Mast Motorsports M120 ECM controls the stock VVT cam.

OK pics didn't upload... give me a little while.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 13, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Re: LS Conversion Complete

Can't wait to see the pics!

How's she run?

1969 Cheverolet Camaro - Pro Touring
2018 Dodge Challenger R/T ScatPack 392 Shaker Hood Hemi
2016 BMW R1200rs
1976 Honda CB550 - I restored
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

pic #1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	34585  

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 13, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Well, doesnt look like I can add any more pics, very limited space.

Runs awesome. Just like I was hoping. Significantly more useable torque than the old 350. I can get down to 45 MPH in 5th gear and the engine pulls right out of the hole.

I took a friend on the Power Tour and we averaged almost 21 MPG on the 2600 mile trip.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 13, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Added pics in in the Photo Gallery. See 1969 LS Conversion album.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 13, 05:59 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Looks great

21 MPG ??,nice......... I'd be happy with 12

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 13, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

The conversion looks very sharp & clean.
If you donít mind my asking, what is the total approximate cost of everything, if you did all the labor? Where did you buy your engine, in the D/FW area?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 13, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Honestly, it was way more expensive than I expected. I estimate it was around $10-$11k for the install and that was with me doing all of the labor (that's why it took 3 years). I did not want a junk yard special and I wanted everything done right with the right parts the first time.

The two biggest costs were the engine ($3,200) and the Mast ECM ($2,500). The remaining amount was spent on lots of other parts - Aeromotive Stealth gas tank, Doug's Headers, Mast oil pan, LS3 intake.

You could definitely do it cheaper by buying a complete car engine and starting from there or by getting a truck engine with an iron block. When I bought the engine 3 years ago, car engines were very rare at the recycling yards. Also, I went high end on the ECM as well. A GM ECM and modified harness would save some bucks.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 13, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

VERY nicely done! I love it....

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 09:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

That looks great! Well done!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

What's the advantage of the higher end MAST ECM?

1969 Cheverolet Camaro - Pro Touring
2018 Dodge Challenger R/T ScatPack 392 Shaker Hood Hemi
2016 BMW R1200rs
1976 Honda CB550 - I restored
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 12:51 PM
Guess

Nice Gene! Very clean install... I like the "no additional bling" setup.
More usable power AND double the gas mileage. How can you beat that?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
claes

did you have a big block in it before ? or did you have to switch the heater housing to the big block housing to make the ls fit ?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 03:18 PM
Guess

Claes, an LS isn't much different than any other small block. Sometimes the heater hose connections for a small block heater box can be pretty close in an LS swap, but you don't HAVE to use a big block heater box if you don't want to.
Mine are close, but I'll still be able to get hoses and clamps on them.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

il_randyb

The Mast ECM handles drive-by-wire and operates the VVT. It uses two wideband O2 sensors, one for each cylinder bank and is self programming. We started with the equivalent of a 2010 Camaro L99 tune, modified for headers, and the ECM takes it from there. No trips to a tuning shop were needed. Fired it up Memorial Day weekend and was on the Power Tour a week later.

It also does not require a VSS signal and does not use a MAF sensor (MAP only), which simplified intake tract plumbing. Finally, it is capable of handling a cruise control function, although it is not supported in the current software version (I hope this is eventually supported).

I had other reasons for buying the Mast ECM as well. They sell VVT cams and they have developed tunes for their cams from their own dyno testing. I buy the cam, install it and they give me the tune - one stop shop. Also located about two hours from me, so if I ever have a problem, they are relatively close.

Support was good. There was an initial hiccup on the tune that was in the ECM when shipped, but it was quickly ironed out with a new one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode