'67 RS rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

'67 RS rebuild

Hey all,
I'll start off with a little back story on me/the car. When I was 16 I started looking at getting an old car to work on. What I ended up getting was a 71 Nova. I loved that car and learned a lot on it, but when I was a senior in HS a guy offered my a Camaro (in about a thousand boxes) for what I thought was a good price so I sold my nova and bought it. I started to buy fixe and sell many motorcycles and cars to help get money for parts. Well, I didn't get much done that summer. I got a front end disk brake conversion from Ground Up (Still use Ground Up for almost everything, awesome people to do work with) and installed it and that was about it. Then I went off to college and didn't really go back to my parents much over then next 4 years so I didn't work on the car. While at college I received a degree in Aeronautical Engineering Technology and passed my test for my A&P (Air frame and Power plant certificate from the FAA).
I graduated in May of this year and received my commission in the Air Force. I took out a loan and got a good daily drive (2011 chevy cruze, it's a really nice car if anyone was wondering) and used some 'left over' loan money to get parts for the Camaro.
When you commission out of ROTC in the AF they usually don't have orders for you so you get to go back home and sit at your parents house until you get an email telling you when you show up to base. So that's what I did, But instead of sitting around I got to finally work on my car that I had for close to 5 years. Turns out I didn't have as much time as much time as I thought I would, I got orders to Active Duty in late June. So now I am away from again for awhile but such is life.
I know I enjoy reading build stories and i'm sure the rest of you do too, So I figured I would show you what I (and a family friend) accomplished this summer.
Right, I never said what was in the car. I was told it was matching numbers, but after some research on here I realized that was not correct. It has a 327 with camel hump heads, victor jr intake, 750 carb, no idea about the cam but when I turn it by hand the rockers move a lot. No idea about the pistons or anything else internal either. It has a Muncie 4 speed and a 12 bolt rear end. I counted the rotations on the rear end and it has 4.10 gears. That's to much for me but it's cheaper to leave it in the car so that's what is staying.
It was originally the teal color RS car with vinyl top, 327 4 speed car. I plan on painting it Deep water blue and keeping everything else.

Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.

It came with the dog house and quite a few boxes of misc. parts.

The front end with the new brakes on it (5 years after they were put on), I'm taking the engine out to paint the firewall/cowl/dash/interior

Here is some rot i found on the back window

more rot

and more

even more

finally fixing stuff!

ok, so I'm figuring out how to weld. we all start somewhere right ?

New parts !

Here is what it all looks like

removal

and started to fix

oh right, more rot

Things are coming together

It's painted (It took way to many tries)!

tops glued down and windows are in

What I don't have pictures of: I ran all the brake lines and put new drums in the back, mounted the fuel tank (new sending unit), ran the fuel lines to the pump. Someone broke a flange off the base plate of the carb so I got a new one and got that installed again. I got the Hurst shifter installed and adjusted (that was a pain)

So that's where I left for base and how the car sits. My buddy said he was going to mess with it when he has time but he is a grandpa and His grand babbies come first !
I can't thank this website enough, I have spend countless hours to research on here !

So there's my story, we all have one and I love reading them, so you all should post yours too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 13, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: '67 RS rebuild

Great story! Look forward to seeing your continued progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech
George

Looks like you worked pretty fast!

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
o 68 Vette 427, 4 spd ac owner 25 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Cool story. I would keep the original color with course metallic in the same formula to update the look. That is a rare and cool color. There are plenty of Blue cars out there already. Good luck on the resto.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

I'm down on base now in Southern Texas so I will be a few years before I can get back to it again.
The Camaro guy, I thought about that too but I really like the Deep Water blue and I don't plan on ever selling the car so I figure I would do it.
The last issue I had was trying to figure out the pulley issues I was having. The car came with a bunch of pulleys and brackets but none of them work with the head, intake, water pump combo on the car. So I thought about a march bracket setup, but all that takes in money right ? haha Heck all the whole car takes is time and money and we all have plenty of that right ?

Here are some pictures on the Vin and Cowl tag on the car.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Nice project. Did you install the vinyl top yourself? How did that go for you? I'm going to be installing on back on mine eventually so I am curious.

My Build Thread

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

350sshugger, it was on the car when I bought it, I only removed it far enough to repair the rust. Gluing it back down wasn't to bad. I used the 3M vinyl top glue. Apply it to both side and wait about 5 min, then press it down firm. I used the plastic spread thing that comes with bondo to smooth it all out and applied green or blue tape tape to hold down the edges. It wasn't to hard of a process just takes time to get it all smooth.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 14, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Small update, over thanksgiving I went back to Indiana to visit my car and got the correct front springs in and the rear leafs out and re bent to make the car sit normal.

I also found out I am moving to Denver ! More importantly I will be able to bring the car there with me! I am looking at buying my first home when I get there so it probably won't join me there till the fall but I'll get to start on it again so I am excited !
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 07:30 AM
Team Member
Randy

Congrats on the move, and maybe getting your own house.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Send a message via Skype™ to hueycamaro

You will love Denver. We have a great car culture here. When you get to town, tune into a radio station called KBPI 106.7. The morning show guy is "Willie B" (same guy that is on 2 guys garage) He talks about car events in the area all the time. He even makes arrangements for the "KBPI family" with shops and venues and then he will host car events: For example: a Dyno day where you can put your car on a Dyno for $20, or a track day at High Plains raceway where you can take your car on 2.5 Miles track and its $99 for the whole day. There is something classic car related going on all the time. Congrats on the build and your commission to the AF and thank you for your service to our country.

1968 Camaro
1968 Chevelle Convertible
1973 Camaro
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 14, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys ! Yeah i'm here in southwest Texas and there is NO car culture here. There are old 50's and 60's cars just sitting around everywhere though.
Huey, I'm glad to know there are car related things going on in Denver. I used to enjoy just going to a local cruise and hanging out back when I had my Nova. As of now I'll be in Denver for a few weeks, then off to California for training for a few months then back to Denver.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

It has been about a year! While I was in California, I bought a house out in Denver to move into so there wasn't much time to do anything with the camaro. My buddy decided he was sick of seeing it sit around my dads place in Indiana and got some work done on it. (Thankfully he was in between projects). He installed the wiring harness, got the motor running, and painted the whole thing ! I can't be more thankfully for everything he did for me!
The car still isn't with me in Denver because of the title issues that should be fixed here in a month or so. In the mean time I have a 1959 GMC sitting in my garage that I have been slowly playing with. (The truck is doing to me dad, he has always wanted an old truck).
Here are some Pictures of the car:

Still have a long list to finish it, but it finally runs and drives !!

Here is the truck, need to get this think running still!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 15, 11:52 PM
Tech Team
John Dow

Quote:
Still have a long list to finish it, but it finally runs and drives !!
good to know! hope you can post a video for the car's test drive. by the way, what are your mod plans for the truck?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 15, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good to see it back on the road and great to have helpful friends like that!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode