Switching gears... not a Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 13, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Switching gears... not a Camaro

Yeah yeah.. it's not a Camaro but some of you guys are old friends so I figured I'd show ya what followed me home this past weekend. I was born in 1956 and have had a ton of old cars & trucks but for some odd reason one from my birth year has always eluded me. Had a couple 57 Bel Airs a 55 and a ton of stuff in the late 50s & all of the 60s & early 70s but never a 56 anything. Finally I have the 56 I've always wanted. She's a rough old girl from New Mexico but has good bones and will make a fine project now that my Camaro is finished. Started disassembly yesterday. Lemme know what ya think. Anybody got any parts throw me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56 truck.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	41025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5172.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	41033   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015_1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	41041  

Name:	P1010016.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	41049   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014_1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	41057  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 13, 09:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Re: Switching gears... not a Camaro

Awesome truck and awesome year to choose Mark! If It were mine, I'd go for a Tow Mater clone--(from the Movie CARS)... Seriously! Since seeing that movie with my kids, and I've watched it dozens of times (both of them)... I've envisioned building either a Tow Mater or Lightning McQueen clone. This would be a perfect truck to do it with! (although I think Tow Mater was a '51 International? ) Enjoy the journey! Excited to witness it.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Congrats on the '56, Mark.
She's cruiser for sure, Tough Girl, been through alot, She'll tell ya.
Good luck with the journey and the new relationship.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 05:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Mark:

Very cool man.

Glad to know I am not the only one on here who LOVES old trucks.
Looks like a great start. I am jealous.

I need to get some work done on my old 1.5 ton Studpecker truck with a dump bed. It is the first vehicle I have ever owned that is older than me. I think I am going to clear it to try and keep the old truck look. It is unbelievably solid.

Still, your 1/2 ton looks like a ton of fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM2800.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	41058   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2801.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	41066   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2802.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	41074  

Name:	HPIM2804.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	41082  

Lynn
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Love it, Mark! What are your plans for it?

(Too bad about that big dent in the rear fender, though )

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Take a closer look, the dent is the relief for the spare tire- see the rack for bolting on the spare tire?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 09:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Take a closer look, the dent is the relief for the spare tire- see the rack for bolting on the spare tire?
I was being cheeky. That's why the .

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Oh, really left skid marks on my head...

'
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks Lynn. It's a cool old truck. Yours is VERY cool as well. Only thing I ever owned that was older than me was a 39 Chevy Coupe that I had big plans for many years ago. Unfortunately my wallet said no and it was passed on to a good friend. And yeah the drivers side "dent" is supposed to be there. Unfortunately the passenger side rear fender has one almost as big and some pretty severe rust as well. The good part is that living down here in Tennessee I called a couple of OLD salvage yards and they have these trucks in their inventory. And the rear stepside beds are the same from 55-66. Also much like the first gen Camaros, nearly everything for these trucks is being repopped. Just takes cubic yards of money to buy them. For example both front fenders are pretty crusty and have been badly repaired in the past. A repro pair is $1000. Now I'm off to Harbor Freight to see if I can buy a "clutch head" socket. 40 years of turning wrenches and I only ever needed the really small one that fits Holley carbs. Now I need a big one to take the rear fenders off. For you young pups who haven't got a clue what I'm talking about this is a clutch head bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clutch head bolt.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	41113  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Love it, Mark! What are your plans for it?

Tom it's probably going to be restored to the extent of looking stock. Maybe even painted wheels and dog dish hubcaps. Mild smallblock with a 700R trans since I have a good one under the bench and this truck likely has 4.11 gears. It's a 3200 series which is a 3/4 ton and those were geared pretty low for use on the farm. Then just use it as a driver. Car shows, grocery getter, parts runs, etc. It's a truck. That's what they're for. On another note the wife & I have been "prospecting" for a local car club all Summer. Last night we got voted in and are the newest members of the Ridgerunners Rod & Customs from Greeneville TN. Yay me ! LoL PS... you should come down and help me with this truck & we'll pass around a jar of shine..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007 (2).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	41121  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 10:46 AM
Guess

That'll be a very cool project...
Trucks are becoming very popular again.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Send a message via Skype™ to hueycamaro

Very cool truck and Awesome project- Camaro or not, its worthy of a spot on this site. Thank you for posting it.

1968 Camaro
1968 Chevelle Convertible
1973 Camaro
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 07:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
Now I'm off to Harbor Freight to see if I can buy a "clutch head" socket. 40 years of turning wrenches and I only ever needed the really small one that fits Holley carbs. Now I need a big one to take the rear fenders off. For you young pups who haven't got a clue what I'm talking about this is a clutch head bolt.
Man, forgot about clutch head screws. I remember one of those on my 57 chevy. Not sure, but seems like it held a headlight bucket in place. My dad had a very limited tool assorment, so I ended up finding a flat blade screwdriver to fit.

Lynn
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 13, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Lynn the clutch head bolts have been dealt with using my trusty cutoff wheel and when I put it back together the fenders will be held on with button head Allen bolts. Here is todays progress. The rear bumper must have weighed 100lbs, was bolted on AND welded on and also had extra braces welded from it to the frame. The old girl must have been towing a cattle trailer or some such contraption in her younger years. All traces of scabby welding are now gone. The frame is actually much cleaner as far as rust than the frame in my 2002 S10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010017.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	41249   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	41257   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	41265  

Name:	P1010022.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	41273   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	41281  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 13, 02:06 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

I'm envious....

Dad had a 57 when I was a youngster. Had a 6cyl and I recall tagging along to the wrecking yard to find a 283 as a replacement. Have loved those pick-ups and that body style ever since...

Good to hear body panels are readily available. How 'bout bumpers ? Maybe I'm wrong, but thinkin there was a couple different style rear bumpers available from the factory. A chrome light duty or a heavier towing bumper ? Dad's had a painted (silver) heavy rear bumper, I'm not sure if it was factory or aftermarket. Overall, your cab looks quite solid. How's the floor boards ?

I must say, after watching these old trucks cross the auction block at Mecum, Barrett- Jackson, etc, I'd say they're as sound of an investment, or more so , as any other American Classic.

Thanks for sharing. An interesting build indeed......

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Aug 14th, 13 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode