Mattyz28's 1981 Z28 build(Bit of a read) - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Mattyz28's 1981 Z28 build(Bit of a read)

Hello guys, figured I would put my project car up here for all to see. Warning: The photos I am about to show you are graphic in nature and not suitable for all audiences. Let me start with the story of how I came to own this car.

I had bought an 89 Foxbody mustang(I know I know) but it had way too many problems than I wanted to deal with. So I ditched it and my daily driver which was a 2000 Impala and went on the search for a fixer upper. I stumbled across this camaro and decided to take a look at it. Guy wanted 2200 for it so I figured it would be a nice start. Went and took a look at her and fell in love. Don't know why now looking back but I did. Drove her back home with one headlight, no tags and open mid length headers. Stopped and got insurance on the way. So after lighting the grass on fire one the side of the road and passing by 5 cops just off of idle, I made it home.

Now came the fun part. I got her running okay and fixed a blown wheel cylinder(which was why my brake pedal went to the floor the whole way home I suppose). I really got to looking at her and realized that my fancy dancy push button ignition was wired with about a foot of blue amp wire, 4 feet of speaker wire and the rest was about 20 gauge wire. Ballpark estimate of 9? splices total in that small section. That was when I realized I had my work cut out for me. So of course the obvious option was to buy go fast parts and ignore the critical systems on the car completely. Haha, what an idiot right? So a comp cams K kit, weiand stealth dual plane intake, a set of freshly machined vortec heads, some good looking wheels and tires and a few other odds and ends later(to include subframe connectors) I am finally here. Ran a true dual 2.5 inch exhaust through Magnaflow High Flow cats and Flowmaster Super 44's with turndowns just in front of my rear end. The engine is out and getting the cam, heads and intake swap as we speak. I am planning on buying a torque converter and a mini spool as well as a laundry list of other pieces to make her a really fun street/strip car. I am going to be tickled pink if she runs high 13's but I would be just fine with a 14 for now. I will post pictures as soon as my photo bucket finally uploads everything. Stupid computer is slowing me down. Sorry for the novel, but hey, thats my story and I'm stickin to it!

Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Re: Mattyz28's 1981 Z28 build(Bit of a read)

Here are some pictures.

One eye bandit!!!

Almost put back together!

Gettin worked on.

Before my new wheels and tires.

Cam Card in case anyone was interested in those specs.

A little bit of fun out at the drag strip. Clicked off a 15.80 at 74mph with the 260 horse crate motor.

Starting to look like something.

Motor and tranny pulled out to start tearing them down at my buddies house.

Man I have alot of work to do.

As she sits right now. I need tall center bolt valve covers.

Some shinies.

Sorry for all the pictures but I have been with this girl for a little bit. Had to catch you guys up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 13, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good start. Keep up the good work.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 13, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Thanks! She is in rough shape but I can't take my eyes off her.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Well, things are slow going, but I guess that is how my project is gonna go for a while. Managed to strip a head bolt hole on my drivers side bank and broke a head bolt on my passenger side. So another valuable lesson has been learned. Always chase threads and though many people have a great experience using their old head bolts, buy new ones. Picked up a helicoil set and a brand new set of head bolts so we can get the short block buttoned up. Next will be getting my weiand stealth intake on and choosing a torque converter.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Well I just ordered everything to button my engine back up. I am putting in a brand new oil pump as well as a water pump. Throwing in a 160 degree thermostat. Copper header gaskets and some stock vortec intake gaskets. Bought a B&M shift kit for my turbo 350 transmission as well as picked up a 2000-2200 stall torque converter. Replacing all the seals and the filter in the transmission. Last but not least I picked up a mini spool for the rearend. Hoping to see some 13's out of my girl! I'll post pictures once the parts arrive!

Mat
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Here is what I have sitting in my kitchen!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1380249866.224830.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	47145

I'm so excited!!!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Sorry guys, I have been away for a while. I broke my back on a jump so I have been busy with my recovery. Just a little update, I have finished the engine. It is just a mild cam, head and intake swap. I looked at the cylinder bores and the rings hadn't even worn in the cylinder walls yet. Now it is sitting on the stand waiting for me to take care of my floor pans. I pulled my entire fuel system out in favor of a 16 gallon fuel cell with an electric pump and stainless braided fuel line. I am going to drop the rear end and rebuild it with a mini spool and 4.11 gears. It is slow going for me right now with my back, but I have some great friends helping me! I will keep updating as parts arrive and get installed.

Mat
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Take care of that back. You only get one... I'm just now really feeling the aches and pains of active duty more than fifteen years after I left. The Z will be there when you're ready. It looks like a great project. It looks like it was a pretty solid start.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 11:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Send a message via Skype™ to hueycamaro

Mat- Thank you for your service to our country. Do your physical therapy. The cool thing about a camaro is, if you finish it in 2 weeks or 2 years, it just gets more cool over time. I was a recon grunt in the Marines 20 years ago and did all kinds of damage to my body that I just "muscled" through in my 20's. In my 40's it turned to arthritis and regret for not taking better care of my injuries at the time. Hang in there and get better soon.

1968 Camaro
1968 Chevelle Convertible
1973 Camaro
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 14, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Thanks for the support guys! And thank you both for your service! I have a buddie of mine that was Force Recon. Only guy in the 82nd I know with a scuba bubble. Haha
Just an update, I splurged today and picked up some parts and pieces to really improve the performance of my car. Not to mention I saved a ton of money! Picked up an MSD 6AL digital ignition box, MSD Street Fire HEI distributor, Proform 650 CFM Mechanical Secondary carburetor, an Auto Meter 5" monster tach with external shift light and full length floor pans. Next on the "need to buy list" is my Painless wiring harness, 16 gallon fuel cell and stainless braided fuel system.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 14, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mathew

Well, I just got my fuel cell in today. Needless to say it is going to be a challenge to mount in my trunk. It is a summit racing 16 gallon fuel cell with a rear drop sump. I'm definitely open to suggestions as the best way to lay it out flat in there. Right now it looks like I'm gonna have to cut the trunk pan and flatten it out the weld up the holes. Also, anyone here in NC know of a good place to get sheet metal? I need a couple of flat pieces to finish up my floor pans and possibly my trunk pan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode