67 RS build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

67 RS build

Did something wrong trying to post pictures

Ok here's some pictures of my '67 the day bought it. I know it looks a little rough but with a little TLC from me and help from the guys here at Team Camaro Tech she's going shine again. I bought the car in March of this year from a friend of the guy that owned it before me. The previous owner passed away in Dec. of last year and his friend sold the car for the guys wife. Anyway he owned it for 23 years where it sat in his yard under Pine tress which contributed to its current condition. He was planning to restore the car but never got around to it. The car is a 1967 Rally Sport 327/210hp with power glide trans. floor shift,original Black on Red and my plan is to go back with those colors for finish. I'm going to do a complete ground up resto on it because it needs pretty much everything, floor pan, lower firewall, both qtrs., fenders and a roof skin, the doors may make it back on the car,they're not too bad. I've never taken on a project like this before but I think with some help from the guys here it looks like there are plenty of DIYers here that can help me out I think I can do this. I'm using all NOS GM parts that I can for my build and I have most of it already. The car is in my garage now and I've dismantled it already and its ready for the rebuild. I'll post more pictures later as it sits in my garage now. Anyway I'm excited and a little nervous about this but anxious to get it started. What do you think guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 494.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	44169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 536.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	44177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 535.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	44185  

Name:	IPhone Pics 540.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	44193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Re: 67 RS build

Ok I didn't download all the pictures I wanted to post so here goes another try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IPhone Pics 498.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	44201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 530.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	44209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 497.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	44217  

Name:	IPhone Pics 499.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	44225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone Pics 537.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	44233  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Very nice. It will be nice to see another Camaro saved!
Have you thought about getting a photobucket account to help with the posting of pictures? I can't speak for all but I like looking at the larger pics instead of clicking on the smaller ones. Just a thought.
Now get to building and posting!

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Thanks Robert, yes I do want to do a photobucket but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

It took me a while too.
Once you set up an account, you upload pics to the account. I found if I email certain pics from my pic folder, I can adjust the pic size to the smaller one. I believe 800x600 is max for Team Camaro. Once my email is opened with the pic attachment, I just drag them out of there and into the Team Camaro folder. I have all my build pics in a folder on my desktop so it makes it easy to find them when I upload.
I'm not computer literate so I'm sure there is a simpler way.

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
paul

Hi, That's a good starting point !

Have you done a restoration before ?
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

I'm not sure I can follow all that Robert but I'll figure it out sooner or later. Looking at some of your pictures I see yours needed quite a bit of work also. Are you doing all of your metal work yourself and is this your first restoration? Your work looks really good. And thank you Paul but no I haven't done a resto before so I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions and looking at a lot of pictures along the way during my build so I'm looking forward to talking with everyone on the Team that I can.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 06:38 PM
Team Member
Steve

Kenny , Dont be nervous ! Jump right in and do it !! I was the same was , but once you get going , you will love every second of it - Trust me on that ! Keep us posted on the progress ok ! Good luck
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 13, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
paul

The best place to start is to take it totally apart, slowly, take hundreds of pictures of all the little details so you can go back over them when putting it all back together.

Next thing to remember is to be very very careful when removing anything, especially the chrome trim as the original stuff is very good quality and even if it has dents it can be repaired and polished.

Do you have the chrome trim that runs along the edges of the headliner ? If so be careful removing these as they are hard to find and easy to bend.

Ask lots of questions, this site is brilliant and almost anything you need advice on will probably be either searchable or answered by someone who has done the job before.

I have 20+ years of restoration experience but only 1 year on 1st gen camaro and I find this resource very handy!
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 13, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Ok I'm skipping ahead on the pictures to how the car is today in my garage and what I'm working on. I've dismantled the car other than the rear end, its still under there. I've started at the front of the car taking the lower firewall off and the passengers side kick panel support. Both kick panel supports need to be replaced and I'm posting a few pictures showing the rust and decay. I've also taken pictures and measurements to look back on to be sure everything is where it should be when I weld it back in. So I guess my first question at this point is what's the best way to prepare the surfaces of the metal for welding and should I remove all the coating that's on the new pieces and prime them. I have some rattle can weld thru primer and I also have a spray gun for paint and priming with the compressor. What are the best products to use for this step. I know I need to prime with epoxy primer at some point but do I do that after the pieces are welded in and cleaned up or before. I don't know how to ask these questions without sounding like I'm a dummy to this but these are things I need to know. Steve thanks for the encouragement, I guess for me its going into the unknown is what makes me nervous about this. I've worked on cars and motorcycles a lot over the years but this is totally different from anything I've done before. And Paul I do have all the chrome trim that's original to the car and its in pretty good shape although it does need to cleaned up and polished. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	257.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	44450   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	44458   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	44466  

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	44482  
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 13, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	44794  
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 13, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you don't have a blaster I'd suggest buying a spotblaster to at least do the flanges where the panels are welded together. You can then blast the entire car later when you acquire a quality one or sub the job out. Buy a POS blaster and you will be disappointed. Are your NOS panels early or late stamps?
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 13, 09:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gentry View Post
I'm not sure I can follow all that Robert but I'll figure it out sooner or later. Looking at some of your pictures I see yours needed quite a bit of work also. Are you doing all of your metal work yourself and is this your first restoration? Your work looks really good. And thank you Paul but no I haven't done a resto before so I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions and looking at a lot of pictures along the way during my build so I'm looking forward to talking with everyone on the Team that I can.
Yes, I did all the work myself in my garage. First time attempting a restoration. I wouldn't call it a restoration though. I did it with a lot of help from the friends on this site. Great people with a lot of information... sometimes too much info!
But like he said, take a lot of pictures and grab some ziploc baggies. Bag it and tag it. I didn't do it until it was too late. But it did help even though I was late.
Don't be in a hurry!! I did a lot of the work you've seen in 6 weeks! Namely the wheelhouses, quarter skins, and the paint. I wish I would have taken a bit more time because she never went to Hot August Nights last year.
Take your time and ask a lot of questions. Don't forget the "search" feature.

My slooow build thread
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 13, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Kenny,
That's a nice little project you have there. I'm no professional but I wanted to share some things that help me. This site and the awesome members here is invaluable. There is a wealth of knowledge available, just do your research. Spend a little up front on the right tool for the job, you won't regret it..
break things up into little manageable projects even if they are as simple as sanding a panel or removing a single part. I like to make checklists for each section I am working on and then for each item on the list, sit quietly and think your way through the process. I know this may sound silly but in this way I can anticipate problems, ask questions, and round up materials I will need instead of waiting until I start the project only to stop midway.
Don't rush any project or task. Fit and refit, sand carefully, measure repeatedly, think three steps ahead and learn from your mistakes.
I like to prep each piece by sanding or blasting them, then epoxy primer, then sand off only the areas to be welded, and go back with weld thru on these areas. After final placement and welding I give another coat of epoxy primer and then look for seamsealer opportunities. That's just my method and everyone may do things a little different. The pros on this site know how to do it right..
Good luck and don't give up.

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 13, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Black 67 RS with red interior! Ever see the movie better off dead? Best color combination to be had IMO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode