73 LT Build to start - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 13, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage
73 LT Build to start

That is if I can figure out where to start!
Plan is to get this car back to it's form from 1974 when my friend bought it. Not a show car restoration, but safe reliable car.

I did find one area of rust in the rear frame rail on the passenger side. Looks like a big project to me but I will not be in a hurry and hope to have lots of help where needed.

Here is a link to where I store the pictures:
http://imageevent.com/happy_dan/dantoys/73lt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 13, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
K.P. Walsh

Re: 73 LT Build to start

i did that same thing to a 65 mustang 289 "A code" car 10 years ago, I found it in a relatives garage in san diego and drug it out of its tomb, good luck.
I believe you can find a complete floor replacement section with the rear frame rails.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-73-F-Body...d545e2&vxp=mtr
your going to have to fully dismantle the car, sandblast, replace and repair metal as you know. i think its great that you are saving that car.

kevin p...................
1972.5 Camaro!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 13, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

That's awesome. Thanks. Yes t will be completely disassembled and blasted so I know what I am working with. Long road ahead but love to save one.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 13, 08:50 AM
Team Member
Ty

Starting with the rust issues is a good starting point.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 13, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Looks like you've got a good car to start with. Wish I still had my '73.
Good luck and post some progress pictures.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 13, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Just a quick update. I have most of the interior out, of course it's fall here and lots to get done before winter so not too much time to work on the car.

I am taking pictures of everything and since it is pretty much an original, thought some of them may help folks in finding where things go on their projects.

Pictures are here:
http://imageevent.com/happy_dan/dantoys/73lt
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Spent the day taking the dash and aftermarket stereo out. That should be the end of the mouse poop and now I can get it in the garage and take my time working on getting it ready for blasting. Many plastic parts are so brittle they just break with little or no handling.

I even washed it. LOL. Not sure why but it made me feel better. Time to relax!

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Dan, looking good! I think washing it before pulling it inside was a good idea, it looks better now and that can only help with motivation.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Hey Scott, already seeing where as you go along you keep finding more and more things to address. It's been a good start and a long journey ahead. Nice to get indoors with it.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 13, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Nice looking car! I need to get one of those...

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 13, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

My best friend in high school (1980) had a '73 LT...great times in that car!. Good luck with the resto...

My 67 convert build in progress:

1967 RS Convertible, 350/TH350
1964 Corvette Coupe 327-Muncie 4 speed
1951 Ford F-1 Pickup project

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

It's been a year now. Wow, time flys. I had to spend the summer working on my house so not much progress there, but I did get a bit done the last few weeks so I thought I would update the thread.

Subframe epoxy primered and ready for paint:

Subframe painted with Ceramic chassis black:

A-Arms, blasted primed and painted:

Box or parts showed up from P-S-T Suspension:

Time to get busy and put the subframe back together. Then it's time to start cutting and welding on the body. First I need a trip to the steel shop to get some stock to brace it all up.

Thanks for checking it out.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 14, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Dan, Kudos on your progress thus far, it all looks great. Soon you'll be reassembling parts rather than removing, cleaning, painting, etc. and that's when you'll really feel like you are on your way (which you are)

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 16, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Just a quick update.

I had some friends over for the day Saturday to give me a hand on the car. We spent a lot of time messaging metal to get the fit right for the torque boxes, full floor and trunk. We welded the torque boxes to the trunk part and framerails and then put it all in the car with sheet metal screws. We fitted everything pretty much where the original was and put the doors on. Next step will be to mock up quarters, dropoffs, tail and trunk. Then take it apart and finish weld the floor and trunk for good. Long way to go.

I did finish the subframe some time ago. It is all painted and all wear items replaced. I forgot all about it until now. The body and metal work is much harder for me.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode