'67 Coupe Refresh/Upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

'67 Coupe Refresh/Upgrade

Hi,
My name is Grant and I have 2 Camaro’s, A ’67 and a ’69. The ’69 was just a factory V8 with the X11 option. It’s not a matching number car or anything.

But I want to document my upgrade/freshen up of the ’67. There are a few mods I wan't to do/have to do before I can register it too. Like lap sash seat belts.

The Refresh/Upgrade of the ’69 will be another thread when I get to it in a few months/years’ time.

About the ’67 thought. I actually live in Australia and I bought this car in the US off ebay in 2011. I only got the car into Australia in September this year. It had been sitting in my cousin’s garage in Mississippi since I bought it.

The Camaro was originally a 6 cylinder car with a column shift auto. It now has a TH350 with a floor shifter and console. The engine is now a 327 with “Camel hump” heads. I will get the cast number as soon as I open it up. The engine block is the correct year and serial number for a ’67 Camaro. When I bought the car, I was told the engine was rebuilt recently along with the transmission. It has roller rockers and there is a 2800 rpm stall torque converter.

My plan for the Camaro is to make it car that handling well with nice power, nothing stupid but enough to cruise around with. No racing or dragging, but I plan to use it a lot. The ’69 will be the one spending more time in the garage.

I have already bought new doors and fenders, but I have decides to hold off in installing these. The current doors were poorly re-skinned and the fenders are aftermarket jobs that fit poorly. Driving around in the old panels and doors will mean I’m not worrying about a few chips and dings in the paint .I live on country roads and there is a fair bit of loose gravel around. I don't plan to do any body work this time around, except clean up and paint the underside of the car with Wurth Stone Guard.

I will also drop the engine and sub-frame to paint both. Dropping the engine will allow me to do a few of the mods I want to do to the engine too.
I work in construction in a remote location in Australia. I work 21 days on, 9 days off (R&R). I hope to complete this project in two R&R’s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 13, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Re: 67’ Coupe Refresh/Upgrade

Suspension and Handling

I have actually been using this site for a long time. When it came to what suspension upgrades I planned to do, along with David Pozzi’s site, the below linked thread has been a big source of inspiration for me. I’m sure it will show with the upgrades I plan to do.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151501

Below is what I am going to install. I am not going to do the Guldstrand mod. Some of the below I already installed before bringing the Camaro into Australia. I have marked those with an asterisk *. I only installed these in the US to minimise shipping and tax.

Wheels - American Racing Torque Thrust M's. 17 x 7's on the Front. 17 x 8's on the rear. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2’s all round*
Brakes - Wilwood Dynalite Big Brakes Front and Rear (12.19” Rotor)
Shocks - Koni Adjustable*
Control Arms - Global West Tubular Upper Control Arms with Del-a-Lum Bushings*, Global West Tubular Lower Control Arms Del-a-Lum Bushings
Springs - Global West 1" Drop Front Springs*, Hotchkis 1 1/2" Drop Rear Springs*
Frame Connectors - Global West Frame Connectors
Sway Bar - Hotchkis 1 1/8" Hollow Sway Bar*
Body Mounts - Global West Solid
Ring Gear Carrier - Eaton Posi
Steering Box - AGR 16/13:1 Variable Ratio Power Steering Box
Steering Linkage - Proforged Tall Outer Tie Rod Ends. All the other steering components will be replaced will be replaced with new. (Except the Drag Link and Steering Arms)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 13, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Engine

As the engine is meant to have been recently rebuilt, I’m planning just to do a bit of a clean-up, re-paint, replace some of the wearable parts and add some modern bits. I already have all the below parts

I actually have a spare set of brand new AFR 180cc Eliminator heads, which I think I will put on. It’s a long story as to why they are spare. But I do like the idea of the old school “Camel hump” heads, but I also like the idea of the power, weight and efficiency of the AFR heads.

I also have a brand new Comp Cams XR270HR Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Cam(218/224 @ 0.050" Lift) “spare” that I would like to put in. I decided to go a bigger cam for the engine I’m going to build for the ’69, so this one is now spare. I think it would be a good match for this build too, but obviously the retrofit followers are not cheap.

I’m not planning to touch the short block, but I will be changing out and installing the following;

Distributor – MSD Pro-Billet Ready to Run
Heads – AFR 180cc Eliminator
Cam - Comp Cams XR270HR Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Cam (218/224 @ 0.050" Lift)
Followers – Don’t know what yet, but I will need to get some Hydraulic Roller Followers
Timing Chain - Comp Cams Double Roller 2100.
Damper – 6.75”Professional Products PowerForce Harmonic Damper
Oil Pump - Summit Standard Volume. I actually thought this was going to be a Moroso Pump. It was part of an Oil Pan kit from Summit . I just assumed. I’m sure the Summit pump will be fine.
Water Pump - Weiand Action Plus – Short
Oil Pan - Moroso Street/Strip, 6 Quart & Moroso Windage Tray
Headers – Doug’s Headers, Tri-Y’s

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 13, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Just checking the compression. All were within 1 or 2 PSI of 165 PSI.

I will take it for a drive tomorrow!

Last edited by Widseth; Oct 5th, 13 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 13, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Diff

The diff is original, which is an 8.2” 10 bolt. No idea about the ratio though. I haven’t even driven it yet or checked that hard. But I’m confident it has never been touched, so it is going to get a major rebuild. I want to keep the 8.2” and I’m sure the new parts will be able to handle any power increase.

The new parts I have ordered and some I have already are;

Ring Gear Carrier - Eaton Posi
Ring and Pinion - MotiveGear 3.55:1 (I’m starting to think I should have gone 3.36:1)
Axels - Moser Engineering Replacement C-Clip Axles
Cover - Moser Support Aluminium Differential Cover
Installation Kit – Richmond Gear Mega Ring and Pinion Installation Kit with Timken Bearings.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 13, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Re: '67 Coupe Refresh/Upgrade

OK I drove the '67 for the first time this morning. First impressions are that the steering is lighter than expected, but as expected, too many turns. The AGR box will still be going in.

The brakes are an absolute joke. I thought the brakes on the ’69 were bad, but this is terrible. I know it is non-assisted drum, but there is something really wrong there.

The shifter has not been properly converted to work with a TH350.

The diff gearing is very tall (Numerically Low), and not at all a good match for the 2800 rpm stall torque converter.

The engine was actually pretty strong, which is amazing considering I hadn’t checked the timing since installing the new distributor back in the US.

The gearbox shifted nicely!

Time to start stripping!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 13, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Looking under the car isn’t good. The Camaro has been in a front end crash. (I was told it had never been crashed) The sub frame is pretty badly bent. You can see it in the photos and it explains why one of the wheels was rubbing in the wheel well. All the front panels, radiator supports etc are new. Not too bad a thing, but it just shows that they were most likely replaced due to crash damage.

There have been repairs done on the floor pan and firewall that have been done extremely poorly and more of the firewall should have been replaced to remove all of the damage. The hole for the shifter is too big, in the wrong place… just wrong! I will post photos of these when I get the sub frame out.

I will need to have a think about this one!

The exhaust, although it looked fine when looking in from the side of the car, it is actually pretty poorly assembled and welded. Some brackets have been welded directly to the chassis. It does have flowmaster mufflers though.

The brake line is all braided hose. No hard-lines at all. This is probably a part of the reason for the crap brakes.

The fuel tank looks good, probably because my cousin installed it for me back in the US!

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 13, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

I’ve taken the heads off to have a look what I have gotten myself into. Like I said, I would have liked to leave the small block alone. The first thing I saw was the mirror finish on parts of the cylinder walls and a few scour marks. The recent rebuild as promised I think is obviously not correct. I will need to at least hone the bores and install new rings. But at least there in no to a very small lip on the cylinder walls. Just a hone should be all that is required. The current pistons are Speed Pro units and are .040” over.

The rockers are definitely not roller rockers as promised!

The heads are the 461 casting camel hump heads.

From the measurements I have taken and the specs of the piston, it looks like the static CR is about 8.75:1. I will look to use a Fel-Pro 0.026” thick MLS head gasket to raise the CR to 9:1. I will also look to get new pistons. Probably KB’s.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 13, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

The engine is a fair piece of crap! The rods and crank are original, which is actually kind of cool but not something I want to add much power to. The pistons have some pretty nasty scoring up the sides. Cylinder 3 has a gouge in the wall that even machining out to .060” would be lucky to remove. It looks like one of the ring ends has been digging into the wall? I'm really surprised about the compression results now.

The big end bearings are stuffed and the crank journals don’t look much better. The big end bearings are only 0.01” oversize though. I have never seen a timing chain with so much stretch either.

The cam is a Comp Cams XE284H (240/246 @ 0.050” Lift.) which seems way too big for this build, but it might explain why they installed the 2800rpm stall torque converter?

Along with the bent subframe and poor repairs on the floor, I need to have a think about what I am going to do here too.

You can just see the poor state the bearings are in. I should have got a better picture!

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 13, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

I have a plan, but it depends on the block in the 69’ being in good condition. I will take the cylinder head off as soon as I can.

I was always going to replace the engine in the ’69. I actually already have all the parts to build the new engine, but I had another project in front of that that I wanted to finish first. The engine in the ’69 is a ‘77 SBC with the really low compression standard heads.

I really want to have a gen 1 small block. I don’t like the idea of a big block in a light street Camaro and I’m not interested in a LS swap. I really like the idea of Gen 1 Small Blocks with modern internals. I would prefer if it looked more stock, but the AFR heads offer too much in power gains and they are just sitting around. If I didn’t already have the AFR heads, I would probably look at a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads for a more stock appearance.

I also had my local smash repair guy up to have a look at the car. He usually hates restoration works, but was very keen to replace the firewall and floor pan for me. He says this is real smash repair and not restoration work. I will look at getting a new Firewall, Floor Pan and Sub-Frame over from the US.

This wasn’t part of the plan.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 13, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Here are a few more photos from the strip down. There are also photos of the bad floor pan and firewall repairs.

Body mount

You can see some of the remaining crash damage on the lower part of the drivers side firewall.

The shifter and poorly cut out mounting hole

Where the floor pan meets the firewall on the drivers side. I'm not happy to leave this. I think it may also cause me to fail the registration check.

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 13, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

OK, the block in the '69 has never been touched so I'm planning to use it to build a 355. I will get the cylinders bored out 0.030” over and the deck machined down to give a deck height of 9.015” (This is to be confirmed). This will give me a quench on 0.040” when using a Fel-Pro 0.026” MLS head gasket and KB 112 pistons. It should be good for a static CR of 10.1:1.

I want to build something more for cruising, so good torque from idle and max torque somewhere between 3000 and 4500 rpm. It can be all over by 5500rpm. I think my selection below will give me that.

I really like David Vizard’s book "How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget". So my build and parts selection will be influenced by this book. I would have built a 383, but with the180cc AFR Heads I have I think a 355 is more suitable. It should make over 400hp though, so it won’t be a slouch. My computer has just died so I can’t check it on Desktop Dyno.

Asterisks * show the items I already have. The rest I have now ordered except for the push rods. I want to check those for length first.

So the build will be;
Carburetor - ​Edelbrock Performer, 600 cfm (Probably the only thing I will use from the old engine)*
Distributor –​​MSD Pro-Billet Ready to Run*
Intake - ​​Edelbrock Performer EPS
Heads – ​​AFR 180cc Eliminator
Cam – ​​​XR270HR Retrofit Hydraulic Roller (218/224 @ 0.050" Lift)*
Followers – ​​Howards Cams Street Series Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Rockers - ​​Comp Cams High Energy Die-Cast Roller Rocker 1.6 Ratio
Push Rods – ​​Howard's Cams Chromoly (I think)
Timing Chain -​​Comp Cams Double Roller 2100. *
Block - ​​​’77 SBC Block, 0.030” Over*
Rotating Assembly – ​Scat Balanced Rotating Assemblies 1-90150BI. Which includes the pistons, con rods and crank below;
Pistons -​KB 112 Hypereutectic +7cc
Con Rods - ​6.0" Scat Pro Stock 4340 Forged I-Beam
Crank - ​Scat Pro Stock Cast 3.480" Stroke
Damper – ​​6.75”Professional Products PowerForce*
Oil Pump - ​​Summit Standard Volume*
Fuel Pump - ​​Summit 80gph
Water Pump - ​​Weiand Action Plus – Short*
Oil Pan - ​​Moroso Street/Strip, 6 Quart & Moroso Windage Tray*
Headers – ​​Doug’s Headers, Tri-Y’s*
Exhaust – ​​2 ½” Flowmaster American Thunder - Stainless Steel
Fasteners - ​​ARP Everywhere

Now I also don’t expect the gearbox to be that fresh, so I will be rebuilding it with the B&M Transkits 30229 and adding a B&M Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan 30280. I will be using a more suitable 2000 rpm stall B&M Holeshot Torque Converter. I have also ordered a new Summit brand 58 tooth fly wheel.

I'm really impressed with the Doug's Headers. They are really nicely built and the ceramic coating is really well done internally and externally.

I've thrown the 327 back together. It definitely won't run now though. I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 13, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Gorgeous car and color! I love it! I have yet to go through my engine.. I wonder what I will find..

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 13, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Thanks Tony. I love the color too. Although it has been repainted, it has been repainted its correct factory color, Marina Blue (FF).

I will be repainting the car sometime down the track, but I will definitely keep it the same color.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 13, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Grant

Just stripping the subframe down. Some of the parts have obviously been there for a while. From the car as I bought it, the only things I will be reusing are the spindles, steering arms and drag link. Everything else will be replaced. Obviously the new springs and upper control arms will be reused. I did for some reason originally order the upper control arms with poly bushings instead of the Global West Del-A-Lum bushings. I think I was trying to save a few bucks. Well I've now bought the Del-A-Lum bushings separately. I'm an economic genius! I was smart enough to get the lowers with the Del-A-Lums already installed this time.

I have ordered the new subframe through Classic Industries. Only problem is that it is on back order and not expected to be in stock until December. So with shipping to Australia, I won't be seeing it until February at the earliest.

Those Global West control arms are beautifully made. The lowers could survive a nuclear blast, but they are quite a bit heavier than the stock arms. You can just see the Moser axels there too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
327, engine builder, global west, hotchkis, suspension upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode