Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maclean, Australia
Re: '69 Camaro Engine and Suspension Upgrade
I'm in Australia and I bought the Camaro from a Mecum auction I went to last year. When I bought it I knew I would have to replace or totally rebuild the engine. It was obvious they had just chucked in whatever they had laying around. I'm guessing there was something in there they wanted to keep.
The suspension is also fairly stock and has some cheap bits and pieces in there, so I knew I wanted to replace a lot of that.
But besides that, it's a very solid car and I will barely touch the interior. It is an V8, X11 car, but not an SS. I will be removing the SS badges. I think the standard blue Bow Tie on the '69 grill is one of the best looking emblems anyway. I won't be touching the paint of any panels either. There is no need to.
So my basic plan so far is;
- Build and install a new engine
- Install a functional cowl induction
- Replace the springs and shocks
- Install all new steering components
- Change to power steering
- Install sound deadening
- Install discs on the front
- Change the diff ratio. It felt like quite low on my first drive (Numerically Low)
I'll elaborate on the above as I have a chance