69 X11 Engine rebuild & engine compartment resto - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

69 X11 Engine rebuild & engine compartment resto

Well its been about 5 years since I bought this car, and the day I bought it I knew I was going to be redoing the engine compartment. The reason I bought the car was it had a rock solid body with very nice paint, and the interior was in very good shape.

The previous owner had gotten silly and painted everything with a gloss black, it was hideous. And for a lifetime mechanic, there is nothing worse than owning a car yet being embarrassed every time I opened the hood.

After driving the car around for a few years I finally got fed up with the under hood area so much I parked the car and yanked out the 327 planning on performing a light overhaul. But I started to think if I went thru all the work to do a light resto, I wasn't gong to be happy. But as life happens, I knew that I didn't have the time or funds to do a full blown front end resto. So it sat for about a year with no heart, just waiting.

Well here it is about 1 year later, and I finally have the time/motivation/and a few extra buck to get this project started. I just ordered all of the parts to rebuild the 327, actually Im building a separate block to a new 1 pc roller cam 383. And before I set the engine in, I want the front end restored.

So yesterday I finally did the deed, and yanked off the front sheet metal.

My goal is to strip and repaint everything, replace all the brake lines, run new fuel lines and have it back together by spring. Its my 4 time doing this so there should be many surprises. Should be fun times ahead.

Hatya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 08:34 AM
Team Member
Randy

Re: 69 X11 Engine rebuild & engine compartment resto

I bet it is going to look great!

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Kumar

Man if your as picky as I am, that "dominoe effect" will drive you nuts now

"while I've got this off, I might as well do this, and that"....and so on....good luck bud, I've been there, but at least it will look great when your done. Just get most of your parts delivered when your wife is working or away

1969 RS Z28 clone, not the real deal, but meh...i like it

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post
Man if your as picky as I am, that "dominoe effect" will drive you nuts now

"while I've got this off, I might as well do this, and that"....and so on....good luck bud, I've been there, but at least it will look great when your done. Just get most of your parts delivered when your wife is working or away
Lol yup. I'm already thinking just 4 more bolts and the subframe comes out. I'm insisting the car is done by spring so that may curb my aggression a bit. And rule 1 is that it's a driver so that should help me from getting to carried away. We'll see

Hatya

Daily Driver

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Yeah, they are kinda like remodeling an old house... you never know where to stop! I'm sure either way you go, Chris, it'll look good when done.

p.s. Nice to see you back!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
Yeah, they are kinda like remodeling an old house... you never know where to stop! I'm sure either way you go, Chris, it'll look good when done.
Well I actually buy and remodel distressed homes for a living, and my boat gets bigger by 2 feet every time I trade it in. I think I am doomed !

Hatya

Daily Driver

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

One of the things that really kept me from starting this project was trying to figure out a way to safely store my fenders in such a space confined garage. I was going to make a couple cheap 2x4 saw horses and then throw covers on the fenders to protect them.

I went up to Lowes to grab a pack of the $6 saw horse brackets and they where out of stock. So i went over to the storage area and found these wall mount hose brackets, I'd swear they where designed specifically to store fenders lol.

Now the fenders are safely mounted on the wall, behind the car, and out of the way. The fenders are also covered, I just took the covers off for the pic.

Hatya

Daily Driver

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatya View Post
Lol yup. I'm already thinking just 4 more bolts and the subframe comes out. I'm insisting the car is done by spring so that may curb my aggression a bit. And rule 1 is that it's a driver so that should help me from getting to carried away. We'll see
You will have to change the body mounts, so surely it would be just as easy to get the sub-frame and control arms sent off for blasting and powder coating at the same time. You would have them back in a week

How does the diff look?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 04:33 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Great storage idea. What color is that blue?

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widseth View Post
You will have to change the body mounts, so surely it would be just as easy to get the sub-frame and control arms sent off for blasting and powder coating at the same time. You would have them back in a week

How does the diff look?
I changed the subframe bushings right when I got the car

Diff is a 10 bolt posi that needs to be cleaned and painted. The rear and underside may be next winters project.

Hatya

Daily Driver

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Great storage idea. What color is that blue?
Dusk Blue if I remember correctly. A friend of mine has an original paint color selector from 1969. The paint color on the car matched the chip nearly perfect.

Hatya

Daily Driver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode