1967 SS - Resto mod project. - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

1967 SS - Resto mod project.

After working overseas in fun sand filled places for a number of years I decided to come home. As a welcome home present to myself I found this lovely 1967 SS on E-bay and made it mine. It's was already in pretty reliable daily driver type condition but the motor was not original and someone had added a Richmond 5 speed. The car itself is virtually rust free and incredibly straight, they did a fairly good paint job on it so after tooling around in it for a month I decided to remake it new from the inside out. https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...78940328_n.jpg

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but why won't it let me post a pic directly? Do you need to be a paying member? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Re: 1967 SS - Resto mod project.

Nice car. Unfortunately I can not answer your question. I always use photobucket. Its pretty easy and free.

Good luck on the car!
post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

very nice ride to start with! x2 on photobucket. host your pics there and copy and paste the IMG into your post.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

The new engine I went with a 515hp set up from Texas Speed.
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

This project started out like I'm sure many small things do with me just wanting to upgrade a few things and then it snowballed from there. I started out just wanting to upgrade my front disk brakes and upgrade to rear disk as well. At the same time I decided to improve the handling a little with a front suspension kit from Heidts.

The second picture is after I got carried away with the project.
post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Shortly after the brakes I decided I wanted a new engine and with the new engine of course I needed a new transmission, etc. etc.. Next think you know
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I started out wanting to simply swap out the engine and transmission with the Texas Speed power plant and a T56 Magnum 6 -speed gear box.
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

With the help of my dad and brother, who are much better mechanics than myself, we started the tear down process.

As you can see the clean exterior hid a number of cover ups and an inside that needed quite a bit of attention.
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

At this point I had already installed the Heidts front suspension pieces and the rear disk brakes. The car is no A/C so along with the new power plant I decided we needed to add some cool air because it gets very hot in that black car in the Texas summer time, so I picked up a Gen IV system from Vintage air as well.
post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 07:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Nice build you have going Michael, And that power plant and tranny is NICE to say the least! Keep the pics coming in. Your build gives me a needed boost to get mine rolling ASAP!

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 14, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Thanks Smitty, yeah doing the build has been an interesting experience there have been times when it felt like it will never get done and then others where it's flown along. It's great to see all the prep work paying off. As you can see the car was pretty dirty when we started getting into it. I originally had planned to do very little internally but once I saw how it looked striped down I knew we had to go a little deeper. I decided to buy new inner fenders and a lower valence panel and have them all powder coated. This resulted in the decision to remove the front clip and have it powder coated as well and then the steering pieces and so on and so forth.

post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 14, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Once we had everything tore down we found out that the previous paint job was only skin deep. Underneath the cowl panel and fenders we found that the car had simply had the skins painted and hadn't been properly done. So the paint looks nice but it's not a total job. With that we went ahead and sanded down, primed and painted the firewall.

We used Eastwood's 2k spray paint for both the primer and the black. If you've wondered about using it the stuff is great. It took one can of primer to do the firewall and about the same for the semi gloss body black. We used the remainder on some small pieces. you can also so where the vintage air kit delete parts are installed.
post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 14, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

That looks great! Keep up the good work and the progress pics coming in.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Got a little more work done this weekend. After stabbing the engine and transmission it was time to see if the transmission tunnel was going to require any surgery. I found that who ever had car before more had done some pretty shoddy work

It looks like they simply took a pipe or pry bar and and enlarged the existing hole. I went ahead and took a cut off wheel and cut back the excess so that I could get the shift top bolted down and on. Here soon I'll be able to get to make a plated to cover the nasty hole left behind and properly seal it.

I put the seat back in the car to make sure the handle was located where I wanted it to be. The Hurst kit that I bought had come with a shift relocation top to make it a "No cut," modification to the car but since the car had already been modified I felt the further back position of the shift lever would work better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode