My wifes 1969 Camaro build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

My wifes 1969 Camaro build

Hello fellow builders. I have recently joined the group. I picked up the 69 from my father in-law a few weeks ago. My wife has always wanted the car since I have known her. The car has been parked for the last 26 years. When we would ask my father in law to sell the car he would say that he would not sell it because he was going to do restore it. A few weeks ago he told us that he wanted to sell it so that we could restore it. I was able to pick it up for $1800. The car is pretty much complete minus the engine. He also gave us a 4 speed Muncie and a new cowl hood, it also has the 12 bolt rearend. As far as engine I am still working on trying to get a 427 that came out of a 1967 corvette with the the tri-power. I am hoping that he will break down and sell it to us. Here is a picture of the car when we picked it up a few weeks ago.

I meant to take a few more pictures before I started taking it apart but got a little excited to get started. Here a few more pictures of the car.

Last edited by rchavez101; Jan 19th, 14 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Re: My wifes 1969 Camaro build

I have since removed the sub frame. I am going to replace the sub frame with a new one. My father in-law said the car had been wrecked, previous to him owning it. The sub frame has been pulled and stretched to fix the issues. Although the issues with the frame only seem to be on the front part where the bumper attaches I am going to buy a new one. He said there was a vibration in the front end. I would like to eliminate the idea that it could be the frame.

Here is a picture of the damage to the frame.

Last edited by rchavez101; Jan 19th, 14 at 07:52 AM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

I was able to remove the interior yesterday. Most of the floor pan looks good minus the front passenger and driver side. I will purchase replacement pans to fix the issues.

Here is the rust on the passenger side.

You can see that there is some rust on the driver side. Although there is no hole I will replace it since now would be the time to do it.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

When I replace the floor pans do I need to brace the car up so that it does not tweak the body? Im not taking out much of the floor pan but would like to make sure it's braced if necessary before cutting them out.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Robert, If the rockers are solid you should have no problems replacing the floor sections w/o bracing. The "doughnut" steering wheel brings back memories. Hard to drive with it but we thought it was cool.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Welcome to the build forum Robert! Looks like you have a very solid starting point for your project. If you are just sectioning the floor I wouldn't worry about it to much like Al said. My car is in much worse shape and I was surprised how sturdy the structure really is. Have fun!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 12:31 PM
Team Member
Randy

Nice looking project! Keep the pictures coming.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Congratulations! It looks like it's in pretty solid condition for 45 years old. Is that the original paint or has it been previously worked on?

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z282NV View Post
Congratulations! It looks like it's in pretty solid condition for 45 years old. Is that the original paint or has it been previously worked on?
It has the original paint, although it does have some free hand pin striping through out the car.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Welcome Robert, from the looks of your pictures you are right across 528 from me. Good luck with your build, it looks like you have a great car to start with & if I can help in any way just let me know.
Nick
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 02:28 PM
Team Member
Ty

Welcome to board. I understand you bought it from your father in-law and it is your "wife's" 69 Camaro. LOL We all know it is your car and your secret is safe with us. LOL

1800... wow, great deal/steal.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Yeah!! i love seeing these cars getting restored.

1969 X66 PROJECT:

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28 View Post
Welcome Robert, from the looks of your pictures you are right across 528 from me. Good luck with your build, it looks like you have a great car to start with & if I can help in any way just let me know.
Nick
Nick its good to see that somebody is local. I live near Unser and Northern. The picture was taken near 528 by Ridgecrest near Allsups. I will keep you in mind if I run into any problems. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
Welcome to board. I understand you bought it from your father in-law and it is your "wife's" 69 Camaro. LOL We all know it is your car and your secret is safe with us. LOL

1800... wow, great deal/steal.
LOL My wife said the same thing.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 04:04 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Welcome to TC

Great price (even being from a family member) and a good starting point.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 14, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Robert

I have got a lot completed in the last week. I just about have the car stripped down to the shell. I still have to finish removing the windows among a few other things. I also will make a brace for the back of the car similar to what I did for the front.

Over all the car is structurly sound. The only rust so far is small sections on the floor panels and the trunk. I know there is more on the rear quarter panels over the wheels wells.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode