69 Frost Green Resto Mod Build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 Frost Green Resto Mod Build

I have owned this Camaro for 24 years. This is it's second frame off build. The paint and overall fit and finish will be improved this time around. The quarters, fenders, and header panel were replaced 20 years ago with NOS GM pieces. The rest of the sheetmetal is original to the car, so no metal work this time. The build will be done in 2 phases. Body, paint, suspension, and interior will be done in phase 1. Phase 2 will consist of motor and transmission. It was an original 307 powerglide with factory air and vinyl top when I bought it, but it's had several engine and transmission combos in it over the years. This time it will have a pump gas 383 stroker with AFR aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam. The trans will be a TKO 600 sending power back to an original replacement GM 12 bolt with 3:73 gears and Moser axles. Also this time the factory air stuff and vinyl top will be removed. Suspension will consist of a Hotchkis TVS stage 2 system with a 3" drop and their new aluminum shocks. Stopping power will be handled by Baer 4-wheel disk brakes with a DSE master cylinder/booster combo. It will have 18" Rushforth "Fuel" wheels, polished hoops with Smoked Titanium spokes and BF Goodrich KDW2 tires. Interior will mostly stock with a few exceptions. It will have TMI sport seats, aftermarket console gauges and Billet Specialties pedals to work with the Lokar throttle cable. The goal was to blend the right amount of aftermarket parts with right amount of factory parts and have a well balanced Camaro. Not to stock but not to modified either. Since the motor is at the machine shop and could take a while I thought I would post pictures of phase 1 for everybody to enjoy. All body/paint and assembly were handled by Gary Richey and Vic Klingsmith down at Gary's shop in New Albany. Gary is a very talented body and paint technician and Vic did a great job on assembly. They both treated my car like it was their own. I could not ask for anything more, they did a great job. As a plus Gary just happens to love Chevrolet Muscle and shared my vision of what the car should look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: 69 Frost Green Resto Mod Build

In the paint booth.

post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Out of the paint booth.

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Gary working his magic.

post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 12:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Looks awesome. My original frost green paint is all but gone. Doesnt seem like it had much to begin withClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	60626

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

While Gary was attending to the body and paint, my good buddy and fellow Camaro/Chevy enthusiast Dennis picked up my subframe to do some work on it for me. The subframe is original to the car and is in excellent condition with the exception of the jacking point which is dented in like most. Not only is Dennis my good friend but he is one of the most talented people I know. I should also mention that Dennis did all of the disassembly work on the car at the beginning to get it to Gary for body and paint. He had it disassembled in a matter of days. I feel very honored and privileged for him to work on my car. After it was fixed and painted, he partially assembled it for Gary to stick back under the car.

post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Vince, The paint turned out awesome. It's a color that you don't see very often but I've been seeing some fine examples of it lately. The one Dave Birdwell did for Brian a couple hours north of me looks awesome to.

Brian
post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Back under the car with new Energy Suspension bushings and stainless hardware used throughout. I sent the powersteering box off ahead of time to Power Steering Services for a rebuild. While there Chip also converted to 12.7:1 steering.

post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Couple of pictures of the paint after some buffing. Forgot to mention earlier that it has a NOS GM cowl hood. I bought it 20 years ago when I bought the rest of the sheet metal.

post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Couple of side shots with the new door handles, mirror, and quarter panel louvers. I tried to use all Trim Parts brand wherever I could. Quality was excellent.

post #11 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Some rear shots with new Trim Parts tail light lenses and Bowtie emblem. Also pictured is the new rear bumper. The bumpers came from Tri City Plating in Tennessee and are excellent pieces. I picked them up myself on the way back from one of our many trips to Florida we do each year. The new trunk seal is on from Metro. Most of the weatherstripping came from Camaro Central who are great to deal with. Can also see the new stainless bolts on the trunk hinges. All of the stainless hardware used throughout the build came from Totally Stainless another excellent vendor.

post #12 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I should mention that most of the exterior items, door handles, mirror, quarter panel louvers etc. came from Camaro Central. Shawn and the guys there have been a great help on this project.
post #13 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Beginning stage of front end going together. Pictured is the ac delete box from AGM Industries, DSE wiper motor and master cylinder combo. The radiator support is NOS GM again bought several years ago.

post #14 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Some close up shots of the fire wall. The booster bracket will get painted black later.

post #15 of 123 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 14, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dog house going on. The bumper brackets are powder coated, the rest is painted. Also pictured are the DSE fender braces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode