Bruisr - 1968 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Bruisr - 1968 Camaro

Yup I know Bruisr isn't spelled correctly, but hey it was the only available plate option here! Ha!

When I purchased this car it was exactly what I wanted. A running, driving, decently modified car! I wanted something I could buy and drive day 1 while picking up mods along the way to get it how I wanted it. So for this purchase, mission accomplished.

I quickly decided I wanted to go fuel injection with an LS swap so that's what everything will be based around. The use of this car will be street, autocross, and road courses (everything from HPDE's to time attacks). The only time it'll see the drag strip is when I go to just hang out with everyone else. Sure I'll probably do a few passes but nothing crazy, not setting the car up for that.

Car as it sits now:
  • Eldelbrock TEC 200 Aluminum Heads
  • COMP Cam 12-612-5 Solid Lifter Cam
  • Roller Rockers
  • Ceramic Coated Headers
  • Holley Competition 750 cfm
  • MSD Ignition
  • Super T10 4 Speed Transmission
  • Center Force Clutch
  • 8.5 10 bolt posi 3.73 from 81 WS6
  • Aluminum rear support cover
  • Subframe connectors
  • QA1 Adjustable Aluminum shocks
  • 6pt Custom roll cage
  • Hotchiks 2" drop leafs and Coilovers
  • Hilwig 1 1/8" front sway bar
  • Quick ratio 12.7:1 power steering box IROC HX box aka hot OEM setup
  • All new suspension & body bushings
  • Front & Rear LS1 Disc Brakes w/ Hawk pads
  • BMW Parallel wheels 18x8.5/9.5
  • Autometer Tach & Speedo
  • OEM Forged Crank
  • OEM polished rods
  • TRW pistons w/ floated wrist pins
  • Balanced rotating assembly
  • ARP Head Bolts & Fasteners
  • Scatter Shield
  • Kenwood stereo and amp
  • Redone interior

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Re: Bruisr - 1968 Camaro

I found a local LQ4 for sale so I decided to pick it up. My goal is to go boost with this, wasn't set on turbo or supercharger at this point, so I figured this would be a good start.

I took my wagon and drove 1.5hr to pick her up. 2005 with 64k miles

After speaking with an engine builder he's confirmed my thoughts of going aluminum. He knows my driving ability and even currently races with me in on the karting scene. He says I'll for sure notice the weight difference on the front of the car, welp that was short lived! Out with the LQ and in with an LS! I tossed up a FS/FT thread and came across someone who was looking for an iron block and currently has an aluminum LS6, woot! We are currently in the process of working out shipping but we're trading short blocks.

I plan to still use my 317 heads and toss some parts in them, not sure what yet. I'll want to go with a custom cam for boost and of course some springs as 7500rpm is desirable for me. It's current disassembled but I think that'll be fine as a stroker kit is in my future.

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Matt

So what are my plans? LS swap, supercharger, upgrade rear end suspension, possible aftermarket front subframe at some point and I'm leaning towards leaving manual brakes vs swapping to power. Anyway I've seen a ton of build threads and people don't seem to list specific parts. I'm going to try and list a part number and link to what I'm planning on using. If you have any opinions as to why I shouldn't use what I've listed, or have better parts that I should use then by all means let me know! I'm new to the LS world and to muscle cars in general!

My LQ4 didn't come with an ECU or harness so keep that in mind. The LS6 is just a short block so no ECU/harness with it either. Below are the motor parts I’m leaning towards. After speaking with my engine builder and Texas-Speed it’s agreed that the 10:1 range is where we’ll want to be, going supercharger too. So this setup is trying to create this. I know Texas-Speed offers a stroker kit, just trying to list out part numbers here. The internals should be a 383 stroker setup, correct me if I'm wrong.

More parts for the swap and other upgrades:
For parts where there are no Part #'s or I'm undecided again feel free to make suggestions. However, if you do please back it up with a reason and a link if possible!

An engine builder will do my machine work and assemble the short block and I'm no welder so mini-tubs will have to be done by someone else as well. I plan on doing most other things myself or with anyone willing to help.

Thankfully my wife is into cars as well and loves muscle cars. She actually pushed me to pick this car up, yesss!!! This isn't going to be a speedy build and will take some time to accumulate parts but hopefully I'll be able to keep a steady stream and get to know my UPS guy even better!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice Camaro and correct year.
Good list, frame connectors? DSE
If poly subframe bushings, I'd go to alum bushings, Moroso.
Wire harness has choices, OE style, Amer Auto Wire, or pick up a ATO fuse panel with harness and wire in.
12SI or CS130 alt with sense source at the battery cutoff switch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 14, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Nice Camaro and correct year.
Good list, frame connectors? DSE
If poly subframe bushings, I'd go to alum bushings, Moroso.
Wire harness has choices, OE style, Amer Auto Wire, or pick up a ATO fuse panel with harness and wire in.
12SI or CS130 alt with sense source at the battery cutoff switch.
Thanks for the options. I really hate wiring haha. Right now it has a cutoff switch in the trunk. I like it's current placement as it's not sticking out for everyone to see.

For harness I've been told multiple times to look at Modern Vintage. I want something clean, I hate seeing wires in the engine bay.

Aluminum bushings, little much for a 'street' car, no?

Frame connectors, like this? Not sure how these will be effected by going with a 4 link, should be able to stay, right?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Had to get the LQ in short block form for shipping. Should go out tomorrow and then I wait on my LS6 short block to show up!

I'll probably re-use the 317 heads, undecided if I'll have any machine work done on them. I'm getting a new set of LS6 springs with the short block, not sure if they'll hold up to what I'm building but most say they will! So possibly just springs and a custom cam is all I'll need to do to the valve train? Hmm

Also need to decide on an intake. Currently I have a truck one which I need to toss up for sale. LS6 manifold and TB or FAST manifold and TB?

LQ water pump is so big. Probably toss it up for sale and get a vette one, should snug up closer to the block and look better. I'm so use to BMW water pumps, SO SMALL compared to this haha.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Present frame connectors should be okay.
Solid mounts for the street, you won't notice it.
Might try Modern Vintage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Matt

Good to know. Some guys are PM'ing me saying they have Holley HP EFI for ecu and harness and have been extremely happy. I also know some local shops that would rather use a stock harness and factory ECU, so many options with big price differences, haha!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

Great sensible build...not going overboard in any one dept and staying stock on others.

Your best "option" is having that wifey on board the way she is.

You've got a sleeper there (the car) until you put it to the metal, eh?

capt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 14, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Shipped out the LQ block and due to the bad weather we've had the last few weeks down here I'm still waiting on the LS block to arrive. :gruffy:

After some long searching and reading on tune options and harnesses I've decided to go with PSI:

Harness: PSI PN HAR-103 - http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/.../HAR-1013.html

ECU/PCM: PSI PN PCM-1003 - http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/.../PCM-1003.html

ECU/PCM Mount: PSI PN ACC-1030 - http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/.../ACC-1030.html

HP Tuners Pro: PSI PN 6021 - http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/...NERS/6021.html

I've also sent Ricks Tanks an email regarding the specifics of the tank I'll need. Tubbed application that can support 750whp.

So while the snow and ice are here I'll continue to research and order parts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode