68 camaro.Need Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

68 camaro.Need Advice

hello guys i have a 68 camaro that i have replaced the floor,trunk and frame rails.but when i tried to install the tail pan its about a 1 1/2 to low.how do i fix this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 68 camaro.Need Advice

start over ! dont mean to be a smart a** but , you should try to do a panel at a time if its not something you've attempted before ...
since you dont have a Jig , the best thing i could tell you is that ...you should fit the panels in place and clamp them together, measure the gaps and adjust accordingly BEFORE any welding is done.

If you have welded the frame rails onto the trunk floor , you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot so to speak...

doing it all at once isnt as easy as some make it seem...

I dont think your going to be able to pull that into place without stressing the frame rails , rear 1/4s and tail panel...

you say your replaced floors and trunk...
need more info and pics... 1 pc floor ? complete trunk ? or just pan sections ??

i hate to say it but you may need to drill out a lot of spot welds and start at square 1 to get that corrected.

My advise is , Get someone with some better experience and have them come take a look for you.. GOOD FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE and GUIDANCE WILL HELP A LOT !

i give anyone credit for trying to do it themselves tho !!! its not easy .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
James

We need more detail on exactly what you did. An how you did it. An pics of each repair would help

1968 454 muncie 4spd
1967 RS L30 M20

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 14, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

i replace 1pc floor first then 1pc trunk.then i fitted the tail pan and quarters.everything fitted great with good gaps and all.The problem happen when i installed the frame rails. i had to push down on the trunk pan so i could clamp it to the frame rails and that caused the tail pan to drop that inch and a half. will upload more pics later
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 14, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech

ok , just thinking here ... even though you removed the original frame rails ( if thats the case and they werent gone when you started ) IF , even tho they were bad , did you remove them by drilling out the spot welds ? or just cut things out to get it out of your way. Only ask because , IF you have the originals even in bad shape , you could set them next to the NEW REPROs and compare.

If you had things lined up and clamped together and eveything lined up ..UNTIL the frame rails...that pretty much tells you where the problem lies.

do you just have them tacked in place or are they fully welded in ?

i would start with removing the rails - getting everything back in place...and seeing where the rails seem to be out of shape.

never PULL or FORCE something into place and weld it . when it comes to sheet metal...
fit the panel , and if it doesnt , adjust , modify or get a bettr part ....1 1/2 inches is major off...and dont see pulling that into shape and making it work.

Not what you want to hear but hard to diagnos online . just my point of thought.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 14, 11:03 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Good Rule for ALL. NEVER finish weld anything UNTIL its all tacked together or in a JIG . Back step your welds to help minimize distortion . The frame rails should be Last.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

SO , were you able to get things straightened out ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode