67 Plain Jain Camaro Build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 14, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Frankie

67 Plain Jain Camaro Build

Hello, my name is Frank. I am not new to the site but have been in the shadows silently reading and appreciating everyone's hard work and cars.

I have been trolling and visiting this site for a long, long time. I am finally getting my project back on track. I have had this car since High School and have always been inspired to make it something better than when it came from the factory and still look stock. Hence the factory hood covering an L88. The car has run and driven but only to get from here to there and parked. Really it has been sitting since 1983. Since then it has been covered and garaged. Back in the day I did a lot of street racing and cruising before they were shut down.

Here are all of the photos:
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/zz...?sort=3&page=4

Take a look post comments on the photos or give me feedback, I am open to any and all. I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic so I am learning all of this as I go. I have read many posts here on this site and am learning every day more and more of what it is going to take to get this project done. I really appreciate this site and the openness of all of the people here.

I live here in Los Angeles so if you are in the area do not hesitate to hit me up for a cup of coffee, on me I am buying. If you do not mind a million questions.

Currently the car has the transmission out, working on converting it to a 5-speed, the fuel system is in the process of being removed and the interior being restored. I will get to the engine when I pull the front clip and do the paint and body when the time is right. I have a ton of time so I am doing those things first. I plan to do as much learning as I can, welding, body work and well, whatever it takes to finish this job.

My current plan is to go with an Aeromotive Stealth tank. I would like to keep the interior stock but finding the cost of OEM Camaro seats rather pricey since I need everything. So if anyone has a seat solution I am open to ideas. I am also planning on a TKO600 or a Richmond 5 or 6 speed. My current big issue is rust in the rear channel. I will be painting the interior, under carriage, and the trunk. I have a Binks 2001 spray gun so I plan to spray as much as I can.

So that is it in a nut shell.

I really appreciate this site since it has an awesome community and wealth of information.

Anyway progress will be slow, hour by hour or week to week but I am working om it making progress if nothing more than learning a new trick.

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks for looking...let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 14, 02:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: 67 Plain Jain Camaro Build

I love your old American 200S wheels. Looks like a great starting point.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 12:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Hey Frank, looks like a good solid start. What color was that car originally ? Looks like it had a gold interior at one point ?

Frank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 14, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Frankie

hey John the rims I bought were place holder, but they have since grown on me. I do like the simplicity of them. My favorite wheels are Cragers...

Hey Frank, I believe the interior was gold as well. I need to check the VIN tag and see for certain. For the next month or so I will be grinding the paint from and mats from the floor of the interior. Half of it I did when my oil gauge line broke in 1980. Man that was a mess, oil and jute... I am searching for stock seats since the ones I have are from a LeMans, and a recommendation of a good supplier for oem replacement interior parts since I think I need almost everything from carpeting to all of the fasteners. I will also be redoing the wiring harness and fuel system at this time as well since that requires more of my labor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 14, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Frankie

I got some time to work on the car this week and have made some progress. I was able to get the filler out using a Dremel tool. I can really see why dentists have so much fun. The tool really removed the rust that was deep in the holes and made fast work of all the filler that was in the deep areas. The area is starting to get that shiny metal look, woo hoo!

Here is what I have uncovered so far:
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/zz...ml?sort=3&o=43

Here is another shot of the rust:
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/zz...ml?sort=3&o=50

I have been trying to get the rust out and have used every wheel and tool in my garage. I have not found one that really works. I do not like the damage to the metal that some of the wheels cause. I have pictures posted on PB and you can see the fight I am having against the rust.

Here is a photo of the area from the trunk side. I am not certain what is going on and need help interpreting what I am seeing.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/zz...ml?sort=3&o=19

Sorry I have not flipped them yet. In this gallery I have left and rights for comparison. It looks like the metal was never welded and has been separated. Can that come from the factory that way or is it a prior repair?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode