got ahold of my dad's old 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Neal

got ahold of my dad's old 69

hey everyone new to the forums here. Love the site so far though. I am getting ready to start tackling my first restoration. I recently was able to track down my Dad's old 69 camaro. Pretty cool! A little background information on the car. It is an original 1969 SS two tone gold and white according to the owner who had it in the late 70's early 80's before my dad bought it. He says it was a 396 rs/ss four speed car and he drag raced it in the late 70's. My dad came along and bought it in the mid-80's and had it until about 1995. It was a long shot but my brother remembered the guys name who he sold it to back in the mid 90's so i looked him up, contacted him and it turns out he hadnt started restoring the car and it had in fact been in storage in his mother's barn in PA since he bought it. So we struck a deal and she's returned home!

Since I have no documentation to prove that this is an original SS car and the original engine is long gone, I have decided I am going to make this into a RS/Z28 clone of sorts. All stock looking but under the hood and handling wise it will be better than stock. I am going to go with a Tuxedo black, white stripes and all red interior color combo. I have not decided if I am going to still go with a 302 and just beef it up or if i will go with a different small block. thoughts? Im a noob so this will definitely be a learning process for me as this is my first restoration and its going to be a slow one so bear with me! haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	67170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	67178   Click image for larger version

Name:	405655_10151624365423584_388940832_n.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	67186  

"babies use the bottle, real men get blown"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 10:10 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Re: got ahold of my dad's old 69

Thats awsome. good luck with the build and post lots of pics.

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 10:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
got ahold of my dad's old 69

Very cool! If I were you I would definitely go the rs/ss route and put in the engine of your choice. No sense cloning a z when you have an SS. Good luck with the build!

Sent from my iPhone

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 10:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

If you actually intend to drive and enjoy it, then keep it an RS/SS and just install an LS motor with a T56 six speed! That would be the bomb!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Neal.
Good story and glad of reading the results, I wish you luck.
Make a log book of the work/parts bought/electrical circuits added to the Camaro - invaluable later in life.

Good suggestions given and as she was born an SS, I agree with adding a LS/T56 combo, but I would leave out the RS pkg as it would another thing to break and adds weight. JMT's, your Camaro, your plan.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Hey Neal, Welcome aboard. Story was great, I have a 68 that I saw for the first time in 1980 when my ex-brother-in-law bought it, he never did anything with it and then sold it to my brother in 1987, he never did anything to it and then my brother gave it to me in 2009 and I am in process. You have a great journey ahead of you. Enjoy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome, Neal! Post up a picture of the trim tag on the firewall near the brake master cylinder. If the car was built in Norwood on 12B or later, there will be a code on the tag that will shed a lot of light on what the car originally was.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Neal, welcome aboard!
Brian is correct about the trim tag and will tell you what the car colors actually were as it seems your only going by what a previous owner told you.
If it was a Big Block car there are things to check to determine if it was from the factory. If it was a BB from the factory I'd let it be a Big Block IMO.
As previously stated, check everything, document, and do your research both here and the CRG (Camaro research group).
Have fun, be prepared to spend a LOT of money, and again welcome aboard.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 06:11 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Welcome Neal. Nice back story. I agree document your restoration, and I agree keep it SS/RS as born - too many people ruin a great thing making clones. Looking forward to watching your progress.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 06:52 AM
Team Member
Randy

Neal, I am glad you found the car. The guys on this site can help you know what the car was originally.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 06:59 AM
Team Member
Randy

Neal, check to see if it has this rectangular plate on the drivers side rear frame rail. It is for cars that had duel exhaust.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Neal

I have checked for all the big block indicators. It is a very early 69 build so there are no x codes on the cowl tag. It is a true two tone gold and white car but to be honest I hate that color combination haha. It was a true dual exhaust car it has the big block motor mounts the big block heater box where hoses come out the center instead of the side. It is also an original four speed and has the original 12 bolt as well as the beefier rear leaf springs. But i figure that without the original engine and transmission, no x codes and no documentation to prove originality why not make it what I really want. Thoughts guys?

"babies use the bottle, real men get blown"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Check for crayon markings behind the back seat area. Should look something like this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 10:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

[QUOTE=VanLew69;2326106] why not make it what I really want. Thoughts guys?[/QUOT

What is it that "you really want"? A cloned Z/28? If you don't put a 302 cubic inch motor in the car, most guys would agree that would be a waste. In the end, all you would have are Z/28 emblems and some boring story. An "SS" on the other hand is more versital so you could go with a 396 motor or other BB or "Moderize" the car for "driving" in todays world. Note the key word "driving" which is what most of us really want to do with our cars, so why not make it a modern driver with an LS1 & T56? Just saying……….

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanLew69 View Post
I have checked for all the big block indicators. It is a very early 69 build so there are no x codes on the cowl tag. It is a true two tone gold and white car but to be honest I hate that color combination haha. It was a true dual exhaust car it has the big block motor mounts the big block heater box where hoses come out the center instead of the side. It is also an original four speed and has the original 12 bolt as well as the beefier rear leaf springs. But i figure that without the original engine and transmission, no x codes and no documentation to prove originality why not make it what I really want. Thoughts guys?
You could sell it as a big block car and purchase another more suitable for your z/28 cloning or better yet, buy a clone and save a lot of Dollars$$$$$.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode