1968 Camaro X275 Build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 14, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Chris

1968 Camaro X275 Build

A little background to the car. Bought it in 2006 when I was 16 years old when I had little to no automotive experience. I saw the car at a classic car dealer and fell in love, with no clue what I was getting myself into.

This is the car after I bought it. Z28 badged, fiberglass front end, 67 doors, 454ci BBC, 4 speed, 12 bolt multi-leaf rear end, Centerline Convo Pros, and a whole lot of problems.

To sum up my ignorant teenage years and not knowing what I wanted with the car, I put a D1SC Procharger on it, never dynoed it and never brought it to the track.

I went to school, decided I wanted to run in the X275 class and run an LS. A couple years later I came back to the car and started tear down.

I pulled the powertrain out and sold it. After tearing everything out of the car, I started to realize just how bad it was.

Seeing all the bad body work on the car and that the floor pan and trunk pan was gone, I had the shell sandblasted and upon return, saw that almost everything needed to be replaced and brought it to a local classic muscle car restoration shop for the body work.

So for whatever reason, I decided I was going to take this car to the end. At least I when I build the car, I'll know where it has been.

The car needed almost every body panel replaced except the roof skin and the firewall. The firewall was beaten in trying to fit in a distributor, but will be bodyworked.

I also had the front subframe, suspension, differential, rear suspension sandblasted and painted.

Here is a picture of the car after replacing the majority of everything.

After some "confusion" the body shop that was doing the work told me the car was done and dropped the car off. After I saw the car, the front toe boards were not installed, just left in the trunk. One quarter panel was welded on top of the roof, not underneath (like it is supposed to be). And most body panels weren't finished getting lined up and welded. Needless to say they have plenty of work still left they owe me. I was told it would be a few months before the Camaro could get dropped off again. So I took advantage of the downtime to do the roll cage, subframe connectors and parachute mount.

Custom subframe connectors

12 point 4130 chrome moly roll cage

Front bars (and the beat up firewall)

Parachute mount

So.. its my luck. I got the Camaro back from the chassis shop and the passenger's side seat harness tab wasn't welded on the cage. I was also told the dash bar would "probably" clear the steering column. So, I need to order the seats and install them so the chassis shop has centerline to weld in the tab and steering column installed before it goes back to the chassis shop.

The Camaro is in storage until some room frees up at my shop, we're packed now.

That's the progress on the Camaro to date! I'll be sure to keep this build updated. If anybody has any picture requests or questions I'll be more than happy to do the best I can to post, thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 14, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Re: 1968 Camaro X275 Build

Got a few parts in!

For seats I got Corbeau LG1 seats in black cloth, Corbeau 5 point harnesses, and Corbeau brackets.

Got a Flaming River black powdercoated steering column and D wheel

I've been waiting for a while to check one of these out! I bought the new AEM Infinity EMS! What an awesome standalone, pretty excited to try it out. Such a clean and compact computer.

AEM just released the LS infinity wiring harness. Honestly I was planning on doing a custom harness but this will be much more convenient. I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

Found a pretty good deal on a LQ4/LQ9 long block today. Have it lined up to pick it up within the week. Soon as I pick it up I'll be tearing it down to see if the cylinders need to be bored and decide what size pistons I'll be using. I was told it has 80,000 miles, hopefully its in pretty good shape. Crossing my fingers.

Can't wait to get the Camaro out of storage!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 14, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Nice build!! Gotta love a caged, LS '68..!!!..

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks Darrell! Just bought the LQ today. Hopefully pick it up in a few days and teardown should begin next week. I'll keep it updated!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 14, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Cool build, and cool story. X275 is probably one of the best classes left in heads up racing.

What power adder will you be running? ET goal?

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 14, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Sean I definitely agree. Power adder will be nitrous. X275 rules are very lenient on nitrous small blocks. I'm not building the car to win, just have some fun and be fairly competitive for the time being. For now the goal will be to hit 5.45 1/8 mile. Hope to make it there. I'm on a big budget as far as the engine goes. I'll only be able to take the car as far as the block will hold up, which I've seen only hold up to 1200.

1968 Camaro X275 6.0 LQ9 (Build in progress)
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6.2 LS3
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo Sno Pro
2000 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 14, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Cool, you should be able to hit that goal.
We raced a lot in Outlaw 10.5 with Nitrous, the faster the turbos and superchargers have gotten the easier it is to go fast on Nitrous in all classes, you get some pretty good breaks.

Outlaw and pro street have gotten pretty ridicules, cubic dollars is king, but the X275 class is pretty restrictive so full on race cars are not as common. They are wicked to watch and scary to drive at times too... A buddy of ours crashed his XDR in Vegas a few years back actually.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted I love these types of builds!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 14, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks Sean, will do!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Got the AEM Infinity LS harness, this should make installation a lot quicker versus wiring it all up myself. Nice looking harness although I might replace the plastic loom with braided wire loom .

Also got the LQ9 in! I was surprised that it came with the intake manifold, fuel rails & injectors. I won't be using any of it, hopefully I can get a few bucks for all of it to put back in the engine. Its going to need some serious cleaning!

Got it all torn down and sent the block off to the machine shop. The engine had 80,000 miles on it and was replaced due to no oil pressure. Found out it had spun a cam bearing. That's the easy fix but I'm hoping it won't need to be bored although I highly doubt it won't need to be.

Tomorrow the car will be picked up to get painted finally! Excited to get this thing painted finally. Its been a long road.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 02:48 PM
Team Member
Shad

Awesome, I've had several friends run that class...
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 05:04 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

LQ4 here...same issue with the cam bearing (#3) and got it for a song
Now LS3 heads (shaved for some compression...now 10.4-5:1)

I'm following along and wish you the best....X275 is a great class to watch Have a buddy running a 'Stang in it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 05:38 PM
Banned
Rob

Who's doing the body and engine work?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
LQ4 here...same issue with the cam bearing (#3) and got it for a song
Now LS3 heads (shaved for some compression...now 10.4-5:1)

I'm following along and wish you the best....X275 is a great class to watch Have a buddy running a 'Stang in it.
That's the one! It was split in half so there was no problem getting it out once the rotating assembly was out.

I'll be running LS3 heads as well, 11:1 compression. I'd definitely like to check out your build!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
Who's doing the body and engine work?
Classic Cars of McHenry County is doing the sheet metal, body & paint work. A private machine shop we use is doing the machine work as well as balancing and I will be assembling the engine.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 06:00 PM
Banned
Rob

Do you get to any of the local cruises? Classic Cars is in Woodstock, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968, build, camaro, drag, x275

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode