'68 "Restore as I Drive" Project in NH - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

'68 "Restore as I Drive" Project in NH

I finally acquired my 'first' First Gen Camaro last week (see explanation here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277969) so I figured that I may as well start a thread. It's a decent driver now, but there is so much I would like to do. However, I have promised my wife and friends (and myself!) that I won't get into any major projects on the car until after driving season.

I have a Quick Fuel carb on the way and my wheels/tires are for sale as the wheels are pushed out too far (3.5" back space) and the tires are too tall (70s). I will be "cleaning up" the engine bay over the next several weeks (it's a mess as you can see below) as well as fixing a few oil leaks. The interior will need to wait until winter, but it isn't too bad now (needs a new headliner and sail panels).

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Car Media Blasting:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: '68 "Restore as I Drive" Project in NH

Very cool Phil. If I start any projects during the car season, I always try to keep my Camaro one weekend away from being back on the road. Save the big stuff for the off season.

I have done a ton of upgrades on my '67 while still keeping it on the road. Good luck with yours.
Mauimax3 likes this.

post #3 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

Nice, now I have to check here for your build threads. LOL.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

1968 Chevrolet C-20 CST

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

post #4 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Definitely a cool driver! keep us updated Phil on the car as you add a little here and there.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #5 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Great year and great car!

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #6 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Thanks guys! I am having fun with it!

I think I need to update my screen name to 68RSPoser.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #7 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 10:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondora68 View Post
Great year
Well, I wouldn't go that far...

post #8 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Good luck and have fun with it. My drive as i restore project has been going on for 13 years now.....
post #9 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave69Z View Post
Good luck and have fun with it. My drive as i restore project has been going on for 13 years now.....

Well, I got to drive it for about a week before it was put on jack stands.

Sold the wheels and tires on Monday and the carb this past Saturday. New wheels and tires will be here by Friday and this showed up today...

I have been selling off a bunch of old stuff to help fund my "upgrades." I am down to 2 dogs and 2 kids. Anyone need an over-privileged teenager or two?

This is a sickness and there is no cure.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #10 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 06:25 PM
Jerry

Nice car

when I die, on my deathbed, I will receive total consiousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice
post #11 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemancole View Post
Nice car
Thanks!

New shoes arrived today (at least 2 of the 4 anyway)...

...They are the new "green letter" series...

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #12 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 14, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Nice! Enjoy!
post #13 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 14, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
Nice! Enjoy!
Thanks!

Now that I have the wheel and tire combo that I wanted:

...I am going to need to "adjust" the stance. It's about 1.5-2" too tall.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #14 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 14, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Freddy

Nice wheel choice. What width/back spacing are they?

'68 Z/28 OO bronze/black 05B 712 124378N429642 owned since 1976 Country boy restored!
post #15 of 1294 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 14, 09:45 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The new wheels and tires look great Phil, does it look like the tire rub issue has been taken care of with this change?

I agree she does look like she's riding a bit high.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode