69 x-55 ss project - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

69 x-55 ss project

Well here it goes. I have officially start to refurbish a 1969 X-55 that I have had for a couple of years now. This will be my first run at a full resto. I have built a jig (from pictures and build instructions off of this sight, thanks for that info). It is a basket case, but a promise to a friend who has since passed away has put me on this path. I will post pictures when I figure out how to. I have 2 1969 RS/SS 396 cars as samples to help. Sorry this is so long but I am new to this and will have alot of questions from all of you guru's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

Re: 69 x-55 ss project

post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

Okay figured out how to get pictures up. iI will post the pictures of the things (many) that need to be replaced.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Floyd, looks like you've made a great start on another stablemate to that fantastic pair of big blocks
Can see a bit of rust on the upper dash top, but the car looks solid; or is there rust lurking elsewhere?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

I would not say it is lurking, it has consumed is more accurate. This will test my patients I am sure. It will be long and I hope fun. I will post pictures of all the rust damage, hopefully today.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome to the site, Floyd. Looks like you've got some nice cars there.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Cool project, and what a shop!! There are tons of great people on this site who will help out with any questions you ask. When I started on mine, I had no idea what it was that I was doing. But, after following a few builds and reading everything I could, I found it wasn't all that bad. You will really appreciate the sense of accomplishment with each step you take towards the final product. Have fun!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

Thanks for the positive notes, here is some of the damage to the project.

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

Matt, I have been following your build with great interest for awhile. Since we are both from Mich. maybe we will run into each other one day. I will have alot of questions no doubt.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

I guess my biggest question is where to start. The rear frame rails are toast, so I am worried about the stability on the jig. I am going to get parts from NPD tommorrow. Should I work on the frame and trunk first, rockers, or cowl area?
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fledem View Post
Matt, I have been following your build with great interest for awhile. Since we are both from Mich. maybe we will run into each other one day. I will have alot of questions no doubt.
I hope it has been helpful! Would be great to run into you someday...maybe a car show in the future. You have 2 great examples already that have to be a blast to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fledem View Post
I guess my biggest question is where to start. The rear frame rails are toast, so I am worried about the stability on the jig. I am going to get parts from NPD tommorrow. Should I work on the frame and trunk first, rockers, or cowl area?
I tried to just break it down into small projects instead of trying to bite the whole thing off at once. I have found that taking that first small step will lead to an obvious next step. That has just been my experience.

I think if you start by getting it on the jig you will get a feel for where you should start and what (if any) additional bracing needs to be installed before you start cutting. My rockers were really solid (lucky) but the car really is built around the rockers. Having those in the right place and solid is critical, and it seems that is where most of the guys doing major rebuilds start at. Again I am no expert; these are just suggestions.

Oh also; If you're referring to the NPD in Canton I have been there and they are great to deal with. I called ahead and they pulled all the parts for me before I got there. We inspected them for damage in the showroom and then I left. I might have been there for a total of 20 minutes.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

Thanks Matt. I will be in Canton Friday to pick up the first major order of sheet metal.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 07:25 AM
Team Member
Randy

Looks like a good project. You have a nice shop to work in. It looks like the car was Garnet red.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Floyd

original color was hugger orange. It was raced for a Chevy dealership here in Michigan and was painted to match the Corvette they were racing at the time (would like to have that car also, but no dice). Not sure if it will go back to hugger orange or back to the burgundy.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
James

What kinda of racing was it involved in?

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode