Finishing My 67 Coup - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Finishing My 67 Coup

Hi, I started the rebuild 2 years ago and now I am at the point of finishing it up. The body has been completely restored and is as new. I became ill and had to let the car sit all last year. I installed the engine on Father's day with the help of my kids. I've owned the car since I was 16, I am now 59. It was stored indoors since 1978, untouched. It slowly rotted and many items needed replaced on the body. So far I have - 500HP Patriot Performance 383SD engine, B&M Turbo 400 with Gear vendors Overdrive, Heidts tubular control arms and sway bar, AMD front subframe, Heidts Rear IRS 4:30, 9inch Ford Center, Holley Stealth Ram injection, Marquez Design dash, Flaming River rack and pinion steering setup. I just ordered the ISIS multiplex wiring system for it and will be starting with that in this thread as I hopefully complete the car. I welcome comments, criticism and helpful hints as I complete this project. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 14, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: Finishing My 67 Coup

Sounds great. I'm sure I speak for many...WE NEED PICS! Add pics and you will get replies.

Tim

My 1968 convertible build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 14, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,

I placed a number of photos in my album. Here is the engine install.
I really admire all you guys that tackle the welding and repair of the body. I tried and only burned a bunch of holes., so I had mine done at a shop.
It took them a year. I had the shell media blasted before I started the restore. I wish I hadn't because the only original steel left on the car is the trunk lid, hood, firewall and back seat brace. After putting the motor in last weekend I found it impossible to wiggle a tubular transmission crossmember in (Ecklers). I ordered a different one from G-Force. It slides right in. pics to follow.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000972.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	76674   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000976.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	76682   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000981.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	76690  

Name:	L1000989.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	76698  

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 14, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Crossmember Issue

Hi,
I received the new crossmember and it slides right in, I only have to enlarge the holes in the subframe to 1/2 inch. I did a comparison of the two and took some photos of them also did a size check on the original subframe. A friend told me that I should have slid it down the subframe before the engine was in, too late for that. I had the tubular one powder coated and did not want to grind it up o fit. so if someone needs one, let me know. Not sure if it doesn't go in from below because of the urethane body mount bushings I use or the AMD subframe
may be slightly different. Either way it's good. I will be moving on to the Flaming River steering install next, all this is way fun as the chemo left me with the dropsies and I never know when something in my hand is not there.

thanks!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L1000990.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	76706   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000991.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	76714   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000992.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	76722  

Name:	L1000993.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	76730  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
I finally got it in, there is lots of clearance for exhaust, much more than I would have ahd with the other unit
regards,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cross Clear 1 .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	79521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Clear 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	79529  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
So I started the install of the Flaming River rack and pinion steering "kit".
Pics of what you get. I opted for a '69 steering wheel as it tilts and that's what I wanted.
regards.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FR1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	79537   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	79545  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Very cool build and story behind it. Keep the pics coming in! What wheels are you planning on running? What color green is that? Very nice either way, bet it pops in the sun.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
The rack and pinion bracket sort of fits, but must be helped along quite a bit.
The bracket bolts on to the driver's side where the steering box mounted with 3 bolts and on the passenger side is affixed with 2 bolts where the pitman arm used to be. The bottom of the rack is this about even with the bottom of the cross member. Part of the "kit" is a single strip (1.0" x 3.0") bracket that is meant to be mounted on the driver's side using one of the pitman mount bolts. They include a heiman? joint/bearing that is attatched to this bracket where the steering shaft is intended to pass through , being directed thru/around the headers. It seems kind of flimsy and I intend to make a stronger one. I visited Flaming River and they were very friendly and helpful. I was told that this redirection of the steering column down through the headers was most always up to the builder, but they sell headers that make this very easy with the bracket supplied. In any case the headers must be installed to do this any I'm not there yet. Rear end time...
regards,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L1010027.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	79553   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010029.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	79561   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1010030.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	79569  

Name:	FR Brkt Drv Side 1 .jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	79577   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR Brky Drv Side 2 .jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	79585   Click image for larger version

Name:	FR Brkt 4 .jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	79593  

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:21 PM
Team Member
Ty

Wow...what I would not give to have my 68 RS I had when I was 16 years old. Man, that is just a great story. Then to install engine with your sons on Father's Day. You are blessed my friend.

I am at some point going with the same R&P from Flaming River. Have you installed it yet and if so, was it simple to bolt on, etc. What was the worst struggle with the installation.

Again, great thread you started.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
WOW, a response! The color is the color of Pierre Water bottle that my wife picked. I went to the shop that was doing the welding/body work and showed them the bottle and that is what I got. She likes it and I'm happy about that.
I have some health problems that would not let me weld or do the other things that seem so well followed here. But I intend to do the best I can to finish this and document as I go. The Heidt's IRS is next and there doesn't seem to be many documented installs, so I'm going alone. I'm hoping that along the way I can shed insight, make a few friends and learn something. Thanks for your visit!!!
regards,
Ron
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
I bought the Heidt's IRS in 2010, before they had the complete bolt in unit. I contacted them and purchased the necessary brackets to make it so. Against their advice I had each of the parts powder coated, except the half shafts and center section. It was fitted to the chassis in the body shop and I intend to assemble and install it this weekend, Waiting for stainless bolts from McMaster Carr. The neat thing about it is that the way it is mounted in no way interferes with a standard rear end. So if it doesn't work out, I'm ok to remove it and put something else in. I picked it because I was impressed with the handling of a car I had with and IRS and I want this car to handle nice. Flying blind 3 years ago, but trying to do better now. This build will be like that, trying to learn and hoping to help.
regards,
Ron
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
I received my Holly MPFI kit today. Turns out last week I found out that the Stealth Ram manifold would not work with my heads as my head ports are too large for the manifold to properly seal. So I replaced it with the single plane Avenger kit. Just as well as I think installing the Dakota Digital cruise control will go a little easier this way. Has anyone installed this injection system in their car here? I compared it closely to the Edelbrock ProFlo XT system. Which is real nice. But I chose this in favor as the self tuning feature has gotten excellent reviews from users and their were no local tuners on Edelbrock's list near to me. Plan to document this install along with the ISIS wiring. Nice to have a clean slate and all but want to mount all these things in the right place the first time. Need to pick a radiator next, any suggestions? Need one with a trans cooler.
thanks in advance,
Ron
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
During the rack and pinion install, some issues. After getting the rack cradle bolted in, I screwed the outer tie rod ends (Ecklers) into the rack. You are instructed to measure from zerk to zerk on your old steering setup for the initial adjustment. Doing so the unit was 3 inches too longer than would yield a parallel condition at the front tires. FR specifies certain tie rod ends for this unit, the Ecklers part number was similar but not the exact MOOG part number. Ordered new MOOGs from Summit of the specific number. When installed in rack all was the same, NFG. Checked to see if my steering arms were correct (standard ratio), they were. So I took the rack to Flaming River here in Ohio.They checked out the unit and fount that the wrong inner tie rod ends were installed in the rack. they put the proper ones in and all is OK now. They were going through their initial ISO 9000 audit the day I was there, so this should never happen again (yuk). But there must be some units on shelves somewhere, so if you get one, there it is.

Ron
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Finally got the rear end together and in...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear End 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	84098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear End 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	84106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underneath 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	84114  

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
terry

Damn, nice work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode