Starting advice for me - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Starting advice for me

As you may see from my posts, I am starting to restore a 69 firebird. I will be removing rearend and front sub frame and putting it on the familiar jig described on this forum many times.

My question:
I need to do both floor pans (maybe full floorpan..). The convertible braces under the pans need replaced as well. Do I remove and replace the pan and then the braces? Or do I leave the pan alone and replace the braces then the pan? Or do I just remove everything and then install pan and then braces?
ARGH!!!! So many ways to go! Of course I will have interior braces installed to keep everything in line.
I really appreciate everyone's input!

1969 Firebird convertible base model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 01:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Re: Starting advice for me

You know if you have access to a jig because it's a conv, you're just as well to replace the entire thing. Too many details if you replace this then that. Good luck

68, SS, BB, M20 4 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Totally understand that. Thanks. Do I just measure and then remove the entire pan and braces all at once then? Install the pan and then reinstall the braces? Sorry for the noob questions about a floor pan ....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I would highly recommend buying a 69 Firebird assembly manual. Also for Firebird specific questions you may want to sign on with PY online forums, it's a good site for Pontiacs only. Good luck on your project.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Thanks. I actually have every factory service and body/chassis manual for the car already. Had them for years! I started posting here because of some restorations I see being documented already. Probably should go to a pontiac site but you all have been very helpful and in reality there is very little difference in the processes between the cars. Maybe I'll lay low after I start the restoration. Don't want to rock any boats!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Found my answer in tp_smith post 120 of his build. Remove everything, install floor and then install braces. Must have overlooked that first time I read through. Thanks all!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 14, 03:54 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

There are several members here who have already restored birds or are in the process of restoring and or converting birds to Camaros.

Our community as a whole seems to be of a general acceptance of the bird community. We understand the Team Camaro community is unique in experience and numbers compared to the Firebird group. It is understandable and expected that Firdbird owners would seek our advice and expertise. I myself would not kick a 69 bird out of my garage if one pulled in.

That said the benefits of owning a factory assembly manual aka AIM can not be stressed. You may get a general feel for something from the Camaro AIM but you really should have the Firebird AIM for the details.

So keep at it cousin and share your build with us. I look forward to the interior work as well as the bodywork updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 14, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Hi Phil

I have a soft spot for Birds too. My first resto was an 82 Firebird I pulled from a barn. Don't be shy! Once you peel of the quarters and fenders they are all the same anyways. Share some pictures as you go; we love pics!

-Matt

My Build Thread

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

As far as the floor and braces go, the Camaro and Firebird use identical pieces. In fact almost all my Firebird parts are labeled Camaro. I assume the installation procedure of the parts will be identical.

Patrick
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Phil

Here's the website for my '69 Bird build that I did several years ago...Lots of pics and pretty well documented:

http://www.69firebirdbuild.com/thebuild.html

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1969, braces, firebird, floor, replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode