'67 restore into a driver - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

'67 restore into a driver

Just picked up this 67 base, 327, guy says it has a TH350 trans, everything is there... Im the 4th owner, its in origional paint yet, minimal rust from what I see on the forums here, suprising for a car thats lived on the wet coast its whole life. I have a handful of registration slips going back to '69..

Anyway, guy I got it from bought it from another local guy a number of years ago, drove it into his shop, then took it apart as you see here, and thats as far as he got with it, most stuff is in bags and labeled, has a cowl hood, new trunk lid (still have origional one), new dash (needs it), new rally wheels with new tires, bunch of other misc parts, rear spoiler.

I know Ill need to do quarters, the wheel wells look good, so maybe get away with only replacing the outer part of them, we will see when I dig into it. The drip rails are rusted, dash is rusted, couple small spots on sides of rear window, thats really all Ive found so far.

And Ill need a bunch of things, like pretty much all the interior stuff (seat covers, carpet, headliner, door panels, etc), also need a grill, core support, lots of bolts. haha

So here is the start, as it sits today, I have not had much time this week to sort through everything yet, hoping this weekend to make more space in the shop and have a solid look.

I dont want a showcar that hardly gets used because its too nice, I want a REAL car, a driver, something that looks great, and your going to see putting on some miles for fun!

Pics coming soon, excited to get crackin' on it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Re: '67 restore into a driver

Pics

Loading her up

Interior full of exterior

On the road! Fastest this things gone backwards I bet

Home, time to unload

Low miler,

Going to have to replace these

New cowl hood, a little surface rust, bottom side is perfect yet

Fenders only need a little love

post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

New dash, found it weird it doesnt have all the holes like the origional on the front, normal?

dash

The least exciting part of the job to me is these

This should come in handy

Chrome stuff isnt even totally shot, I may replace or have them redone, will worry about that next year

So there she be, having a newborn itll be a longer term project, hoping to have the bodywork and it mocked back together come spring, if I can find the time to tinker!

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Ill have a bunch of questions, things Im researching now:

Rust treatments, the POR15 seems like a pain as its a 3 part system and you have to wash it with water in between a couple of them, hoping to find something much better/user friendly!

Front fenders, deciding whether its worth fixing them, or buying new ones at $200 each

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 01:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezil View Post
Ill have a bunch of questions, things Im researching now:

Rust treatments, the POR15 seems like a pain as its a 3 part system and you have to wash it with water in between a couple of them, hoping to find something much better/user friendly!

Front fenders, deciding whether its worth fixing them, or buying new ones at $200 each
POR isn't a 3 part system. It's clean it up, dry it, paint it. It's really, really easy to do and works very well.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
POR isn't a 3 part system. It's clean it up, dry it, paint it. It's really, really easy to do and works very well.
oh, on their website it shows you having to buy 3 different products..

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Pre...ating_p_8.html

1) cleaner degreaser
wash with water
2) metal prep
wash with warm water
3) paint with por15
topcoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvcepMwqmZs

Is that not the right stuff? maybe Im looking at the wrong item?

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

John--- welcome to the wide world of Camaro Restoration! Looks like a solid car to start with from the pics. A few panels to replace... not too bad! I see the previous owner swapped out the doors for 1968 doors... (no wings!)... Enjoy the process.... a driver sounds nice and enjoyable.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
John--- welcome to the wide world of Camaro Restoration! Looks like a solid car to start with from the pics. A few panels to replace... not too bad! I see the previous owner swapped out the doors for 1968 doors... (no wings!)... Enjoy the process.... a driver sounds nice and enjoyable.
thanks! I thought so, thats why I brought it home.

No wings? no wing windows? I actually have them, he just took them out already, or did you mean something else? Glad you brought it up though, I never noticed one model having them and one not!

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
I would never use POR on a customer's restoration. Those fenders appear to be worth saving. Do enough of these cars and other makes and models over decades, and one will see the value of assembly line take off parts.

Mileage is meaningless when doing a frame off resto. It only matters regarding driver survivors in good to V.G. condition.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 14, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
I see the previous owner swapped out the doors for 1968 doors... (no wings!)...
67 and 68 door hinges are different as are the number of mounting bolts. The hinges and doors pictured are 67.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 14, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Any recommendations to order body parts from? Quarters, core support, etc.. there are so many places, and Im on a budget, so looking for best price and low shipping costs.

Thanks

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

The rust in the gutters is scary (to me).
What's the underside of the car look like?
I usually look for parts suppliers in a nearby state (but not in my state) to offset shipping a bit (w/ no sales tax).
AMD is popular right now, but in reality most body parts are Tri-Plus in Taiwan. AMD claims to make some parts.
Sheetmetal parts quality is hit and miss. The body lines are never as crisp as factory, parts need work, and patches leave a lot to be desired. Better than making your own though.
Save those factory fenders...
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 11:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
67 and 68 door hinges are different as are the number of mounting bolts. The hinges and doors pictured are 67.
Good eye Scott! I had to take another look at that pic where the hinges are shown. Yep-- a 1967 for sure! ...and yes, we know the hinges differ from 67 to 68.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
The rust in the gutters is scary (to me).
What's the underside of the car look like?
I usually look for parts suppliers in a nearby state (but not in my state) to offset shipping a bit (w/ no sales tax).
AMD is popular right now, but in reality most body parts are Tri-Plus in Taiwan. AMD claims to make some parts.
Sheetmetal parts quality is hit and miss. The body lines are never as crisp as factory, parts need work, and patches leave a lot to be desired. Better than making your own though.
Save those factory fenders...
The rust is only in the gutters, it doesnt carry to the body, I was looking inside the car tonight pretty well and amazed at how little rust there is on it, under side is great, zero rust in doors, rockers, etc... Only rust issues I see are the dash, bottoms of the front fenders, core support, and both quarters at wheel wells.. Nothing anywhere else Ive found yet.

LOTS of parts to go over, and pics to come tomorrow night or monday.. Feeling really good about the car..

I looked at NPD, and shipping is $170 no matter if you get one part, or 5 parts, so may have to bite the bullet and just order everything at once..

post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Found the glovebox, what's this compass it speaks of?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410708610.941196.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	87209
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410708620.996320.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	87217

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode