1967 rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

1967 rebuild

This will probably be a slow build but figured a build thread may keep me motivated (along with being able to drive the car again )

Bought the car 2 summers ago. I bought it from a younger guy that was selling it for college money. Best I can tell is he was getting his dads old cast offs to put into his camaro. Car was advertised on criaglist as a 383 muncie car. Turned out to be a low compression 350 and super t-10. I spotted the motor and obvious trans differences and we worked out a pretty good deal on the car. I wasnt originally looking for a camaro because most were out of my price range, I was really just on the look out for a malibu or nova (seem to be a bit cheaper at the time) but this popped up and I had to go take a look. My mom has a 67 rs/ss she bought in 1973 that I grew up with so finding a cheapish camaro was great.

First day we got it home

Love at first site for my Daughter

So it had 350 with 76cc heads, super t-10, non posi 10 bolt with 2.72 gears and cragers with little back spacing. The wheels were bent and the lug holes were all wallowed out.

The interior was in decent shape, minus the front seats. Found some front seats on craiglist and set out to clean up the interior. The car didnt get driven much and mostly sat in the garage collecting dust.
old seats

new seats and some interior shots

to be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Re: 1967 rebuild

Better pic of it when we first got it.

First order I made was for 3.55's a posi and new wheels and tires AR vintage t70r 15x7 and 15x8 with 225/60/15 and 255/6015 radial t/a's
Under side is clean

New wheels before I tracked down tires

old vs new

My little helper again

2.72 pinion vs 3.55 pinion

I decided to buy a 68 console, because I liked how the gauges mounted better. I went to all autometer gauges. None of the original stuff was working/it was all just lights no gauges.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Found some OEM trim on craigslist.

And that is about where I got derailed and changed plans a little bit. I was driving the car and totally blew a shift and way over revved the motor. Tossed the belts, made the water pump start leaking, and developed a pretty good vibration in the motor over 2k rpm. Since installing the gauges, I wasnt to impressed with the oil pressure anyway so plans to rebuild started. Time to build a real 383. I got talking to my grandpa and he had some parts laying and decided he was going to help me out. He had a short block built for me. Forged bottom in with an ohio crank, ross 12cc dome pistons and h beam scat rods. I am still deciding on what heads to run. Plan is to build a e85 motor with the 12cc dome pistons.
old motor

New short block

So now with the motor rebuild I have decided to take the car off the road and build it how I want to. I have gotten into auto cross since buying the car so I am switching gears to that. So I sold the AR wheels and picked up a set of v48 vintage wheel works wheels. 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back.

Car has multi leafs and traction bars in back. Plan is to give those to my mom for her camaro and Current plan is a speedtech torque arm in the back. May switch to the a 4 link though havent decided. Also was planning on just upper tubular arms for the front but last weekend when dissembling the front suspension the lower ball joints just fell out of the arms. So needing new arms anyway I am looking to add coil overs and lowers as well. Car has 4 wheel drums from the factory. So I bought s-10 rear disc brakes off ebay and am adding c3 brakes to the front. Still staying manual brakes with a corvette master. Rear brakes were really straight forward. Just bolted on and I reflared the stock lines.

Last edited by nblehm; Sep 14th, 14 at 02:31 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 02:21 PM
Team Member
Rich

Looking good, nice 67.

1967 SS350, Under construction.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Only problem with the s-10 brakes is the ebrake cable bracket is right behind the shock mount. Not sure if that is a problem with stock shock mounts, the traction bars may stick out more.
On to the front brakes. I bought reproduction jl-8 caliper brackets and trimmed the anchor pin boss down .625 of an inch. I still need to get rotors and calipers and make sure it will all fit

Still need to get new bolts for the upper bolt holes.

After disassembling the front suspension and finding loose bolts, no cotter pins and other misc things, I am kind of glad I hurt the motor and decided to stop driving it. I really should have went through the whole car before driving it. So now that is what I am doing. Decided to pull the front clip off and probably pull the sub frame as well. So thats about where I am at. I wish I knew the history of the car. From the vin it was a v8 but the speedo hole is where the auto would be so I am guessing maybe a 327 pg car? At some point in its life the subframe was notched under the motor and plate was welded in. Looks like a decent job, I will further inspect it when the motor is out. What sold me on the car (wasnt looking for this much of a project) was how original the body looked and the car has zero rust that I have found. I have taken the drivers side down to almost bare metal and just found a little filler here and there. Pretty sure it is all original sheet metal, but I'm not body guy so I could be wrong. Plan is to do a cream color, that I will try and paint myself. I'm not going for show quality so I figured I would give it a shot.

My last progress

and with the notched sub frame the car also has these adjustable bumps
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 14, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Pulled the motor and sub frame today. Looks like I'll need a new bellhousing

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Nice start to what looks to be a very cool build...

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 06:40 AM
Team Member
Shad

Looks like a nice build... What kind of dog is that? Reminds me of an Australian Shepard.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good project and darn good supervisors - both short two-legged and four-legged.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 08:41 AM
Team Member
Ty

The addiction has apparently set in. Nice build progress so far. Those pics with your daughter are priceless.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
Looks like a nice build... What kind of dog is that? Reminds me of an Australian Shepard.
He is a bernese mountain dog. He's only a little over a year old and about 110 pounds. Hank and my daughter are best buds.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
The addiction has apparently set in. Nice build progress so far. Those pics with your daughter are priceless.
Yep. And it's not even like I have to ask her to come out in the garage. If I'm out there she is too. She'll just grab a wrench and slide under the car and start "fixin camaros". We usually try and take her to car shows on the weekend as well because she asks to go to one everyday. Yesterday she made my wife take her out of the car so she could check out a chevelle that pulled up to the pump next to them. I definitely enjoy her interest in cars just as much as she does.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 08:06 PM
Tech Team
Freddy

What model year S-10 are the rear disc brake set up you used from? Your car is coming along nicely by the way.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
What model year S-10 are the rear disc brake set up you used from? Your car is coming along nicely by the way.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109454 here is a better write up for the rear. Since mine is a 67 I only used 2wd rear backing plates since my shocks aren't staggered. I bought a "kit" of eBay and machined the rotors and re used everything else.

Here is the eBay seller I used. doesn't look like he has a listing for the brakes, but when I bought he didn't either so I emailed him and he assembled one for me.
http://m.ebay.com/seller?itemId=2212...d=s10warehouse
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 08:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Nice build. Glad you changed directions. You will be happier in the end that you took the extra time to do it right. It will make for a better finished product and increase the value, not to mention a wicked car!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode