1968 Camaro Resto. Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 14, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

1968 Camaro Resto. Help!

In my back yard I have a 1968 Camaro (SS chassis, rebuilt engine, unknown on the rest of the specs ) which was built for my mother when she was 17 or 18 from a junk yard chassis and an engine which was rebuilt by her father.

It used to be our daily driver until 5 or 6 years ago, when we had nowhere to put it. It sat out for about a year uncovered and rusted through the gas tank, but still would attempt to start.

I need to know if this is worth the effort, if even possible, because i'd like to get it running for the sentimental value, and because it would be my first car, as it was my mothers first as well.

Currently we have only purchased a new gas tank and sending unit (yet to be delivered), which was the only previous issue with the car, until it sat in the sand for over 3 years of storms and Florida's notorious salt air rust acceleration.

Recently (last year) put a cover over it, and this last weekend we put an all purpose blue tarp under the cover to protect from the weather a bit more.

Here's some pictures of it so far. Hurts to see it like this.

And the new gas tank. (Replacing the sending unit as soon as it comes in on Friday)

So my question, is it feasible to do this project with
- No garage
- Limited tools (jack, 2 jack stands, small socket wrench set, basic tools)
- And a tight budget (No specific number, just whatever extra money we have gets thrown into it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 14, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1968 Camaro Resto. Help!

So far I'm sure it needs
  • New cowl induction hood and trunk panels
  • Possibly new tail pipes (old ones are really rusted, almost to the point of breaking)
  • Convertible top
  • Possibly a new interior (depending on how bad the weather got into it)
  • Tires
  • Gas Cap (Probably cheap)
The side panels don't look too bad, aside from some rusting at the bottom i may be able to fill in.

And of course, a brand new paint job
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 05:10 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well IMHO all Camaros are worth the effort to save. The fluids will have to be dumped (oil, transmission, cooling, fuel lines blown out and checked) and filled, easy once you get her on a flat paved surface. I assume you have a driveway - but no covered garage. Really not expecting it to be too bad for you to achieve. The wiring and air cleaner should be checked for signs of unwanted rodent travelers and squatters. If the carb was left exposed then you may have some issues and it will need to be broken down, cleaned up and rebuilt - kits run about 60 bucks. If the engine is free and not seized you're golden.

A lot rust wise will depend on how wet it is where you are in the country. Check the brake lies for rust as they are steel, and prone to contamination so the first order once you flush the engine and get it started is a full brake inspection and replacements of what-ever it takes to have a working brake system.

Then look at the frame, exhaust and if it looks all sound she should be okay.

Just beware of trapping moisture with a full body tarp. Better to get her on a solid surface - paved or gravel or even plywood and get a roof over her head until you get the top replaced. Those portable garages work well in moderate climates to keep rain off and sun off you as you are working. Harbor Freight used to sell them for under 100 bucks.

Keep us advised of your situation and progress. Sounds like a good first project for you and the family connection is always cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ma View Post
Recently (last year) put a cover over it, and this last weekend we put an all purpose blue tarp under the cover to protect from the weather a bit more.
A tarp will rapidly accelerate corrosion.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Keep us advised of your situation and progress. Sounds like a good first project for you and the family connection is always cool.
Definitely will! Never even thought about the portable garage.
And as for the hard surface, most of our driveway is sand, so we will probably have to resort to some thick plywood, or call someone to come and pave in a concrete pad for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
A tarp will rapidly accelerate corrosion.
Good to know. Will take that off when I get home today.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Make sure you cover that hole in the top though.

...or plan on new floors. Might already need them. Pull the carpet.

And, yes, she's well worth saving.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Great looking project.
Just like anything else you accomplish in your life; it comes down to how bad you want it. If it means enough to you, you will do it. If not, it will continue to rot or someone else will end up with it. Every restoration comes down to money and time. Do what you can with what you have. Even if you can't start the restoration, stop it from getting worse. Get it running if you can and keep it clean. Soap and water is cheap. Keep an eye out for a place to rent to work on it and buy the parts and tools as the money comes in.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 09:52 AM
Team Member
Ty

DO ALL YOU CAN TO SAVE HER.

Like everyone is saying, you probably have significant rust issues but believe me, I have seen way worse that have been brought to life again.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Mine was worse than yours and still deserved to be saved! there are less original Camaros every year..especially convertibles..

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That's a HUGE project.

Can you weld well? Do bodywork? Paint? Do you have an indoor place to store and work on the car? Are your pockets pretty deep, as in do you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on it? Do you have years and years to work on the car?

I think you've already answered "no" to all of these questions.

Despite all of the "every Camaro is worth saving" advice, unless you're an accomplished restorer and reverse the answers to each of the questions above, the only future I see for the car if you keep it is more and more deterioration.

If you keep it, I'd advise you to strip it immediately, have it acid dipped and dip primed and find a place to store it indoors while deciding what to do with it.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

My two cents...I kept my car for 18 years before I decided to repair/restore it. I was 22 when I stopped driving it. It was a heap then. I was 40 when I decided to "save" it. I needed to replace everything. I'm glad I didn't sell it. The point is , do what you want. Yes, it would be cool to have it as you're first car, but if it is your first car, you probably don't have the money to properly restore it. So, either spend enough to keep it going and use it as a daily driver, or keep it until one day you are ready to properly restore it. Either way, enjoy it. It is awesome to own a First Gen Camaro!!! (Especially a convertible, but I'm biased!!!)

Tim

My 1968 convertible build:

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 14, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Here is my .02..

I dont care how big of a project the car is, it's a part of your family. No way I would sell it unless I couldn't provide for my family. No reason is the world you couldn't learn to do anything the car needs over time and complete the car. Heck we all start out the same knowing nothing about anything and we learn the skills to do what we do, not over night but over time. You do not have to be a professional to turn out professional results, all you need is the drive to succeed and take a little pride in what you do.

good luck..
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 03:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarerat View Post
here is my .02..

I dont care how big of a project the car is, it's a part of your family. No way i would sell it unless i couldn't provide for my family. No reason is the world you couldn't learn to do anything the car needs over time and complete the car. Heck we all start out the same knowing nothing about anything and we learn the skills to do what we do, not over night but over time. You do not have to be a professional to turn out professional results, all you need is the drive to succeed and take a little pride in what you do.

Good luck..
yep

'67 RS Black on Red originally and again some day.
L48 350 from a '67 SS going in some day too

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Welcome aboard. It's nice to see your interest and enthusiasm in your mom's old car. It certainly has potential, but will require a lot of time and money. Mike (Mkelcy) pretty well summed it up, although if you learn to do the work yourself, you can keep the cost down to a minimum, maybe less than 10 K....?? That means you doing all paint and bodywork yourself.

About the biggest problem I see, aside from the rust issues, is storage. You really need to keep it indoors while working on it, especially in your climate conditions. All severe rust needs to be cut out and replaced. Filling in holes with anything other than new metal will come back to haunt you in a short time.

My advice is to store it as best you can. Keeping it running and operating is wise on your part. The engine and drivetrain may still be in good shape yet. But I wouldn't recommend starting on the bodywork until you have a roof over head and are better prepared.

Check out this thread. Something like this might work out well for you.... A 68 VERT to boot !

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=kettbo

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 04:00 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Well, unfortunately most of the pics are gone in that thread. Starting on pg 16, Ol' George enrolls in Auto Body training at a local trade school, working on his car in the schools shop with and instructor teaching him along the way..... brilliant idea, I must say.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968 convertible, first rebuild, many headaches ahead, restore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode