Build Projects follow along start to finish

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

68' restoration - My first - Tips needed

Hello there!

I am in the middle of restoring my 68' Camaro. And since this is my first time restoring a car, and with my 22 years in this world, I have just about no experience with this. Especially with a project this big I thought it would be a good idea to post this here! So hopefully you will catch me doing something wrong. Since there is A LOT of Camaro gods over here You're awesome!

I've actually read just about every build thread on here, and learned a lot on the way! And lost a lot of sleep...So thanks for that

The plan for this winter was to pull the interior to install the Dynamats. As you can see things didn't go according to plan Well...the interior is out though.

The new plan is a lot more fun...and expensive

-Restore it to perfect condition
-Paint and shine my old 396 engine.
-Ridetech front suspension with coilovers, and rack and pinion.
-Ridetech 4-link in the back.
-Paint it a really dark charcoal grey. Not sure to go with the chrome or not. If not, flat black all the way.
-And more new stuff.

I need a lot of tips on how to step forward with this. I got an idea on my own, and would like to hear your thoughts on what to replace, and in which order.

The car is now in the rotisserie, and I will weld in some braces before I start cutting anymore.

My plan is to cut out the main floor, and replace it. Just welding it at the rockers, and front. Leaving the trunk floor, and frame rails un-welded.

Then move the car on to the jig. Still have to build it though. Remove the trunk floor. Here is my first question. Is the frame rails good enough to repair, or would you replace them? I think I could repair them fairly easy. But maybe there is a good time to replace them when I'm out with the trunk floor and everything? But it would make a lot more work, because I would have to remove the inner valance panel. And the inner panel looks fairly good, still have to pull the tailpanel to check it out.

While the trunk floor is out, I will patch the inner fenders and cut the rust out of the outers and fit the new replacement parts.

Then install the trunk floor and weld it.

Then move forward and patch the tulips and upper cowl panel.

That is my second question. Would you replace the whole upper dash panel, or cut it like I have marked it, and install a new piece cut from a new part? The lower part of it looks good, but I guess you never know what is hiding underneath. Would you replace everything?? Not sure about that...since the rest look pretty good.

Then I will have to patch the roof bracing. Blablabla, I will post as I go

All the remaining sheet metal on the car is the original.

Let's get to the pictures, so you'll understand what i'm dealing with. Just got it back from sandblasting yesterday.

A lot of pictures, I'll just throw them on here. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures. Forgot to bring the camera!

Here is what I started with.

Dash panel

Last edited by Holten; Nov 22nd, 14 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Re: 68' restoration - My first - Tips needed

Is this hole supposed to be there?

Upper dash panel

Would you replace this? Inside of the driver sail panel.

post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Driver side sail panel. Is this called the sail panel?? Or is that on the quarter?

Passenger side sail panel.

Inner fender passenger side.

Got my radio, coffee, and tools! Sorry about the mess though...I really have to clean this place up.

Opinions? I will try to keep this thread up do date. I'm a truck driver, so I don't get to many nights with this baby

Last edited by Holten; Nov 22nd, 14 at 05:27 PM.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 04:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Looks like you have a good start and handle on things. Watching the new tin transform the rust holes is the fun part.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

Need......Larger Coffee Pot......lol

Looks like you are on your way.....Keep organized....small accomplishments have a way of making it look like its coming together....have more then one project going..... to break up frustration and dull drum.....

Pictures.... looks like you have a handle on that but add some reference marks/measurements...... maybe cut up an old tape measure and tape it on assemblies at picture time before you remove parts/metal.....you will be glad you did...

keep up the good work....

8 Ball

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 15, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Thought I'd give you a small update, nothing much though.

So I pulled the trigger, and ordered all of the body panels I need for the whole thing. Just about everything is AMD

They arrived in Florida this Friday, and will most likely be shipped in a couple of weeks when there is a container that are going to Norway again. I expect them to be here the first or second week in March. CAN'T WAIT!! Getting sick and tired of moving tools around, cleaning the floor and looking at the car just standing there Did get some painting done though, just to kill some time. Ran out of red paint, so the flag did a great job to cover it up. haha

I also bought a toolbox that I got this saturday. Much better than hanging all the tools on the wall, and not knowing where they are. And it looks awesome You can see my old box standing next to it...Really shows how much bigger my new box is.

And we had to find a way to load and unload some heavy stuff out of my truck, so we made a "crane" out of 2x4's. The winch just hooks up to the car battery and has an remote controll. It can pull up to 4300kg, and lift 1300kg. We wont try to lift anything more than 400kg, I'm sure it'll do it though. It really makes life easier

Norwegian newbie
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 15, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Okay...Still just organizing the workshop!

Since my last post me and my friend (who also works on his car in this garage) bought the ESAB 200A Mig welder. My first toolbox came in handy, as we welded on a stand for the gas bottle. Makes moving it around a charm!

And yesterday I just couldn't help myself. I bought a lot of tool-sets to fill up my new toolbox. I needed it to help with my OCD I'm not sure my wallet agrees though..

Today I went to my brothers house to pick up a worktable I made at school 5 years ago. Never used it, so I figured this was a good time to do just that.

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics...I need to remember my camera

Oh, and btw! Got a letter in the mailbox a couple of weeks ago. And it was a VERY good surprise, an envelope filled with Team Camaro stickers
Didn't expect I'd get that, so that made my day! THANKS TC

Hope it's okay I post all this off-topic stuff...I know it's not really a project thread yet, but kind of I guess? In my eyes getting organized is a part of it

Norwegian newbie
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 15, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Finally some updates.

I got the floor out, and cleaned up the inner rockers and firewall flange. The inner rockers look really solid, like new. Pleasant surprise there

I'm going to sandblast the inside of the frame rails, and spray them with epoxy primer, then some kind of undercoating before welding the new floor on. The car is now pretty much ready for the new floor to drop in.

Other than that I've just been grinding on some left overs and spot welds from the panels I've removed. It doesn't seem like much, but it has to be done anyways.

The latest updates on my parts, is that it should arrive in Oslo February 11th. Then some additional days for the toll customs to clear it, before I can pick it up.

Can't wait!! Feeling really motivated these days.

Oh, I want to show you why this project will take a while. My appartment/job

Norwegian newbie

Last edited by Holten; Feb 23rd, 15 at 04:50 PM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Finally some real updates!

Got my parts this Friday, and I've been working through every night and every day! I've seriously slept for like 3 hours since 7am Friday morning, and until now 2am Sunday. Totally worth it

My first thought was to start with the main floors. But realized it was better to repair the trunk floors first. I thought I just needed to patch them, but quickly changed my mind. Started removing the old floor. Cut out the tail panel, and cut one inner wheelhouse, and bent the hinge support out of the way.

Got the trunk floor, and main floor in to place, just to check the fitment. The trunk floor was really good, and almost fell right in to place. The main floor was a little worse. It refused to sit flush to the frame rails. But with some hammering, pulling and self-tapping screws it turned out just fine. Not perfect, but good enough.

Today I've sandblasted the inside of the frame rails, and drilled holes for the plug-welds and grinded the primer off of the new trunk floor. Tomorrow I'll go get some weld-primer, and start fitting the trunk floor. Really nervous to be honest.

If you see something stupid, wrong, or crazy please let me know so I can fix it before it's to late

What is the correct width on the frame rails?? Mine is a little bent after all the hammering and drilling when removing them from the old floor. Is that an critical measurement?? Pictures below!

Pics..

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Norwegian newbie
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 08:27 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Jim Erlend - First my hat is off to you son. At 22 years old you are taking on a massive project and seem to be doing a very good job at it. Many a man your age would shrink at the amount of time, money, and pure sweat and hard work you are in for. But the reward will be immense and priceless.

And if you think that is a messy shop you have to look at a few build thread here more closely. You are a dangerous man, motivated, organized and own a Camaro!

Where in Norway? A very good friend of mine runs a few restaurant/bars in Norway. I've only been in Askar and Oslo myself but that was before you were born.

I'm glad your making progress and happy to see the update. As to the frame rails I'm not sure the correct width for 68. Maybe these will help until someone posts the actual dimensions.

and the dimensions below. I think the mounting position will tell you if your are too narrow or too wide but as long as they are in correct position center to center as shown in the pics below they are okay. Maybe new frame rails at Classic Industries will list the dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chassismeasurements.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	105217   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_gen_Firebird_sub.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	105225  

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 15, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Justin

Those trailers are crazy!

Justin Novick
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator - The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods
(773) 303-8251 -

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 15, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Jim Erlend - First my hat is off to you son. At 22 years old you are taking on a massive project and seem to be doing a very good job at it. Many a man your age would shrink at the amount of time, money, and pure sweat and hard work you are in for. But the reward will be immense and priceless.

Thank you so much! That's really motivating to hear. If I had known back when I ripped the car apart, how much work was needed...I probably wouldn't have gone this far. That said, I am really glad I did. The amount of knowledge, experience, and happiness I will get from this project is as you said priceless. I will never regret this, that I'm sure.

And about time, money and hard work. Just about all of my money goes right into this car. I will have to admit I'm living on the edge sometimes. That's actually the toughest part about this, and the most exhausting. I hate the thought of having to spend thousands of dollars on suspension, brakes, interior, paint, and all of the extras. But..It will be worth it in the end. I live for old muscle cars, so the hard work is like therapy for me. Nothing is more relaxing than going to the shop, put on the radio and do what I like the most.

When I'm done with this, I will know in my heart that I may have saved one 68 Camaro from it's death. And that makes me feel really happy.

The original plan was to pull the interior to install some dynamat. I guess that'll have to wait

I live in middle Norway. A 6 hour drive from Oslo. Were you here on vacation, or was it part of a job? I have never been to the States, but I hope to go there in a year or two. That has been my dream since I was a little boy. My grandfather was working over there, and in Canada. So I guess you can say he made me want to go there with all of his stories. I actually have relatives in Canada. My relative over there is the CEO of a big leaf spring factory...can't remember the name right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinEntropyRad View Post
Those trailers are crazy!
Pretty cool, huh? I get that a lot. It's pretty cool to just tip your load off, while other people will have to use a forklift. The crappy part about it is that you risk blowing a hydraulic hose, in the middle of nowhere. You can bet that happens when the nearest hydraulic shop is 3 hours away Been there, done that.

Okay, I can see this post is getting loooong. So let's fill you in on some updates.

Got the trunk floor welded in, didn't do all the plug welds just in case something was wrong.

Also got the main floor ready for welding. But it got late, and I had to go home. But I will finish up this weekend. I get 10 days vacation when this Friday is over. AWESOME

Really happy about the gaps though! Pretty much non existing. I still have to tweak the driver side frame rail a little bit.

Feels really good to have solid floors! Feel like I'm really going somewhere

I have to wrap up for tonight, and doesn't have time to check for typos or if this is the correct/last pictures.

Norwegian newbie
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 15, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Working around the clock these days! Got a lot of thing done. But need your help

Hung the quarters, tailpanel, deck filler panel, trunk lid and roof! Really happy about the gaps and fit so far. Actually pretty impressed. Of course I have some issues to fix. Need your advice and tips on some things. As my signature says...I'm a neewbie

Tight trunk lid corner: Just hammer the quarter until it has the same angle as the deck filler panel? And maybe a relief cut and add some metal?

Quarter to tailpanel: Cut the whole "trunk lid bumper piece" and move it so is flush to the tailpanel, or just increase the radius on the inside?

Tailpanel to trunk floor gap: 5-7mm gap. Not sure how to do this. Add a 5mm strip of steel between the two panels, or just force it in place with vise-grips? That may push/force the tailpanel to far forward at the quarter to tailpanel seam. What to do?

My bumper holes don't line up perfectly, is that really important? Or should I focus on lining up the panels, and drill out the holes later if that is necessary?

Norwegian newbie
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 15, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim Erlend

Okay...a few hours later, and lot less hair (pulled most of it out)

Made a cut in the quarter up by the deck filler panel, to align it better with the trunk lid. It got better, but still not quite there. Also made a steeper angle on the flange that welds to the rocker so the quarter sits pretty good at that spot.

BUT. There's a lot of those buts..

I pulled all of it back off. Now I've fitted the tailpanel flush to the trunk floor before sliding the quarters over it. I got acceptable gaps all around the tailpanel I think. But the tailpanel is waaay to far forward in the middle. I see no other solution than adding a spacer between the floor and tailpanel??? I for sure can't tweak my quarters that much without destroying the whole thing.

Did I weld the floors in the wrong position? They seem to fit pretty damn good everywhere else. Looks spotless if you ask me.

Norwegian newbie
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 15, 10:03 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Nice progress. PM sent

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode