69 SS Restoration... Need some members advice! Virginia Beach VA - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 14, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Zack

69 SS Restoration... Need some members advice! Virginia Beach VA

Hey guys.

After about 6 months of looking I picked up a numbers matching 69 SS 350 4speed 12 bolt car for my father as a bday present and a car for us to build together. The car was a roller, no front clip. Got the original drivetrain with it, not in the car. We have made a body cart for it per the dimensions online and in the fisher body book, torn it down, and we are kind of at a loss on the order of operations on replacing some sheet metal.

Where we started:

How we got it. Looked fairly straight. No major issues.

Started tearing it apart. Originally a daytona yellow car with a black vinyl top.

Progress.

Progress.

1st rear quarter removed.

Set it on the body cart and all of the alignment points lined right up.

-The car needs without a doubt:
-Both rear quarters (previously replaced before, not the best work)
- Filler panel between the rear glass and trunk
-Trunk pan (rotted out from the wheel tubs back)
-Tail light panel and the piece that goes behind it
-Toe board (I think its referred to) is ate up pretty good.
-Bottom of the windshield upper cowl/dash area is completely gone (2 inches of bondo, haha).
- and obviosuly a whole front clip but that isnt much sheetmetal work, I think we can handle that its pretty straight forward.

Questionable Items:
-Roof, overall in good shape, minor issues near the windshield and back window.
- Floor pan. As a whole it is solid. Rotted out in all 4 places peoples feet would sit. Other than that it is in decent shape.
-Firewall- seam between it and the upper cowl is swollen and rusty, has some minor issues
-Rear inner wheel tubs (some issues, also rotten where they meet the rear of the rockers)
-front tulips, rotted in the botom corners, overall decent though.
-rockers, seem solid from the outside with minor rust bubbling, however im afraid of what the inside looks like.

Basically overall a decent start, I have seen much much worse in my research. What we are lost on is where to go from here. We have a full trunk pan that needs to go in, we are planning on just patching the floor. Needs both rear quarters and tail light panel. Also on the questionable items what to replace and what to repair.

We want to send it off to get blasted and primered, so we began removing stuff we know is going to get replaced. Didn't want the guy blasting stuff for no reason, and to gain access to places that would normally not be accessable.

Any tips? Pointers? Advice? If there is any local members, it would be greatly appreciated if you wanted to stop by and check out the car and give some advice. We are in Va beach VA. Will gladly throw someone some gas money/lunch money for their troubles if you are a bit away.

Unsure of where to go with it. Brace the car up inside with some 3/4 x 3/4 tubing? Keep removing junk rusty panels? Tear it apart down to the rear frame rails and do the entire rear (trunk pan, then wheel tubs, then taillight panel, then filler panel behind the window, then rear quarters?)

I have read and read and read but I have not come across a proper order of operations so to speak on sheet metal replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will keep progress pics posted as things move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 14, 02:46 PM
Trevor

Re: 69 SS Restoration... Need some members advice! Virginia Beach VA

Nice progress thus far! It looks like your car is on a full frame jig so bracing shouldn't be needed as long as not too much is removed. Personally, I learned it's best to replace one part at a time so you can use the others as reference points when installing the new panel. However, I've seen it done on this site many times where people remove an entire section of the car and start from scratch. It's personal preference and comfort with your skill level. Removing an entire section is obviously the more difficult of the two. If you plan on replacing on piece at a time, make you sure you install the new trunk floor when one of the quarters is off. It gives you room to slide it in and maneuver it a bit more.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Send a message via Skype™ to hueycamaro

Zack- Looks like you have a solid start to a great project. Here is my $.02.

-If you can patch the roof, I would. Replacing the roof is pretty easy, but you will spend more time massaging the new roof to get your trim to fit, than if you just patched it. Its the rust is deeper then just a few areas around the windshield, then you should replace it.

-If the only floor issues are where the passengers are, I would patch the floors. A full floor replacement is very difficult and if you take your time and finish weld the patches it will turn out well and save you time and a lot of headaches.

-If your lower windshield area, cowl and toe boards are rusted you can assume the bubbling in the firewall is deep. I would recommend replacing all of it. Those pieces are available some what "modular" and aren't that hard to replace, especially with the jig you have it on. Just take your time and take a lot of pictures when you take it apart, so you know what piece over laps others, etc.

-I would definitely recommend getting it blasted. Especially if it has spent its life on the east coast. That will tell you a lot about your rockers and will give you a clean base to start from. Its worth the money getting it blasted in time savings alone.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the project and keep the pictures and posts coming.

Jason

1968 Camaro
1968 Chevelle Convertible
1973 Camaro

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 14, 10:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Hey Zach.

Looks like fun! Here is what I did.

My car needed almost everything, and as I read the build projects I just decided to start at the front and work my way back using the Johny Cash method. One piece at a time.

I was lucky that my rockers were really solid. One thing I've learned after working on my car is that the rockers are probably the most important. If they are in the right spot, everything else will be too. I would start with a very good analysis of the rockers and decide what if any repairs are needed there. Once that is complete, just methodically work through the rest. You will find as you start working that a logical order of operations will become apparent. Try to break it up into little projects and goals so you don't get overwhelmed. If you start looking at the entire picture it's easy to get discouraged and give up. Just get at it bit by bit and you'll look back and be surprised at how much progress you've made.

If you run into trouble, just ask! There are lots of very helpful and knowledgable people on here that are willing to help.

- Matt

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Zack

Appreciate the replies guys. Lots of good info already. I have noticed that there is a lot of statements saying the body lines all revolve around the doors and the rockers. Got the other rear quarter off and some extra bracing for the rear supports above the wheel tubs in place. More pics to come. Suggestions and creative criticism welcomed! Looks like we will be going back to front instead of front to back on this one. Main reason we started with the rear is it was the worse and we are chasing some 1980s bodywork. Rear quarters were previously replaced, and not very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode