68 Big Block RS refresh - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

68 Big Block RS refresh

Hey guys. We have been on here for a while. We have a 68 RS that came to us, mostly rust free, with some dull paint and a 86 truck 350/th350. It appears to have been a big block car atleast at some point in its life and was the reason we fell in love with it.

The car came out of Richmond VA. We took a family road trip up to get it. Bought it, and drove it all around Richmond with the sad little 350, then loaded it up and headed home.

We promptly sold the 350/TH350 and found a 454/TH400 combo out of a motorhome locally. Over the Christmas break my father (Grandpa Gus) came over and helped go through the 454 with some help from the kids.

After that was done, we noticed the engine bay needed some love as well. SO we pulled the front of the car off to refresh all the bushings and paint on the subframe and it associated assemblies.

Luckly the "hard parts" of the car are solid. New ball joints and brakes(4 wheel drums, soon to be discs) Good 12 bolt rear.

The interior is a Deluxe and in excellent shape. It will probably get a new headliner after not to long and a dash pad.

The car appears to be a original RS 327 4speed car, just from some of the little parts we have found. All of the original hideaway headlight system is there, just needs some hoses. At some point someone put in a big block heater box, which works perfect for us.

454 specs are
9.49:1
Isky 280 Mega Cam custom ground as a SFT 110 LSA (installed at 106 ICL)
EDM lifters
Comp Push Rods
Comp Aluminum Roller Rockers
781 Heads (ported/polished, 2.19/1.88 11/32" undercut Ferrea 5000)
PAC 1220 Beehive springs
Comp 10deg retainer
Milodon HV/HP oil pump
Melling pick up
RPC Steel oil pan
New Balancer
Comp Billet timing set
Cast truck Crank
Truck Rods ARP Bolts
TRW LS6 pistons
Hastings Moly rings
Steel Shim head gaskets(.042 Quench)
Flow Tech Ceramic coated headers (1 7/8x 3 1/2)
SFI Balancer
Balanced of course
Weiand 1871 Oval port Tunnel Ram (ported and Polished inside and out)
2x600 CFM Holley Vac Sec elec choke

TH400
Transgo Pro-kit set at range 2.5
COAN 2500rpm Stall
Dennys Driveshaft adapter slip yoke
Summit Racing deep finned aluminum oil pan.

Any way this is going along nicely as a family project. Hope you all enjoy the pictures and reading along.

The trip home

Fresh off the trailer

This was useful for getting it on and off the trailer, not much else haha.

Jess cruising through town

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Re: 68 Big Block RS refresh

The patient is in the operating room!

The engine is out! Notice the sweet wiring job. Thanks guy with the spool of red wire and wire nuts. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own tools.

The 350 ready to head to its new home. It went back into a truck about the era it was pulled from.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Rolled it out of the shop as the Escalade gave up the ghost towing it home. Had to put it on the back burner while we built a new 418 L92 Stroker for the Caddy.

Our beautiful new 454 haha. It wont look like this for long.

Had to get my muscle to unload it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Nice looking car, keep us posted.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Kendra (12) checking things out as we tear down the 454. Everything was spot on! Went back together at stock bore, and std/std on the crank.

Got the block all cleaned up and mocked it up for some motivation.

Grandpa helping us degree the cam in over Christmas.

Kendra and Grandpa torqueing the rods.

Serious Business!

The start of the tunnel ram porting

Long Block ready to go in.

Grandpa helping getting it all protected for installation.

Tearing the front end off.

All hooked up and ready to go in! We left the old pan on the transmission until its in the car. Didn't want to chance scratching it.

Founds this little bracket. I assume its for some kind of clutch linkage? Its on the outboard side of the sub-frame under the steering column, just forward of the body mount.

Success!

Mock up with the new frame stands and cross member. Also needed some weight to get the front springs out.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 15, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmithFamily View Post
Founds this little bracket. I assume its for some kind of clutch linkage? Its on the outboard side of the sub-frame under the steering column, just forward of the body mount.

What a great job you're doing. Nice progress! That bracket is for one side of the Zbar for the clutch linkage.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 15, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Been a while, time for an update.

Got the old saddlebag/tulip panel/outer cowl panel, cut out and replaced.

A close up of my spot welds. I have to say that 3M weld through primer isn't my favorite.

The steering box with a fresh coat of primer and paint.

The subframe was completely striped and primed and painted.

The start of header fitment and bolting the engine in.

Engine bolted in an un-wrapped. We had to do just a touch of grinding on the steering box to get clearance for the headers.

68 RS 454/TH400
Our build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Firewall repainted. Stripped it to bare metal, dug out all the old flaky seam sealer. Applied new 3M seam sealer, fixed a few errant holes provided by previous owners. Primed and painted satin black. I cant wait until it dries! Finally seems like we are on the road to reassembly. This was a big hurdle! I think we are going to put the intake on, and set up the core support and radiator. Break in the cam, and swap valve springs. Then we can slide the subframe under the car and really see some progress.

68 RS 454/TH400
Our build thread
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Cool Re: 68 Big Block RS refresh

Lookin' good!

Keep up the good work, and I really like those valve covers.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Thanks. We got them from a local guy that runs Key Automotive in Paris TN. E Paris the air cleaner for the tunnel ram to match. I can't wait to see it all together.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Big Block FTW!!
Where the ls trolls at? JUST KIDDING
Nice car, awesome project, cool that it is a family affair.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Big Block FTW!!
Where the ls trolls at? JUST KIDDING
Nice car, awesome project, cool that it is a family affair.
Thanks!

I figured someone would have commented on the tape line for the cowl paint. Truly I can't stand the sloppy job the factory did at the top of the cowl. To continue this method would be a dis-service to the car IMO. Its not a concourse type car, so we are restoring it as we see fit.

Is there an anti Big-Block crowd these days? Seems like a sad club to be part of haha.

68 RS 454/TH400
Our build thread
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmithFamily View Post
Thanks. We got them from a local guy that runs Key Automotive in Paris TN. E Paris the air cleaner for the tunnel ram to match. I can't wait to see it all together.
Sorry I typed this on my phone. Not sure where the extra Paris came from. It should read "we also got the air cleaner and valve cover breathers to match from the same gentleman."

68 RS 454/TH400
Our build thread
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 15, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Cam is broke in.

We got the tunnel ram and carbs used, very slightly used I might add. We pulled the bowls off and it looked as if there had never been fuel in the bowls. So we simply put the bowls back on and installed.

The gentleman we bought them from, said "I just couldn't get them to work right". We get a lot of performance things this way and figured it was probably a case of user error.

When we installed the carbs, the primarys would only open about 1/4 of the way. The culprit was a fast idle cam screw that hit the intake on both carbs. We relieved these places and reploshed it and everything worked fine.

The first time we tried to fire it only the front carb was flowing fuel. A quick inspection found the rear carb primary float to be screwed completely in! Fixed that and it fired right up.

My oldest daughter Kendra is the one holding the starter button(unfortunaly she forgot to release once it started haha).

I was happy with the oil pressure, relieves at 70psi as desgined. Temp stayed cooler than I would like at about 168f, but I will wait until its in the car to worry about that.

Now just an oil and spring change and into the car it goes.

Please excuse the fuel lines and jumbled wiring. That is just tempory for run in purposes.

This was a family effort, with mom helping to video, and sop up fuel leaks. And my oldest daughter watching for leaks(she caught a seeping bowl screw) and my youngest daughter sitting patiently and running the stop watch for break in.

Thanks for following along.

Here is a video of break in. Feel free to comb through the album for more videos and pictures.

68 RS 454/TH400
Our build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode