Build Projects follow along start to finish

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jno

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 15, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff Spicoli

Another blue Camaro followed me home, Grotto blue '68 coupe

I should name this one "Britney", because, well, oops I did it again.

I don't know why I picked this one up from my friend Steve, but I felt like getting another project car, and since I have one for each of my boys, I figured I'd build a '68 for my wife who was born in 1968. This one is a plain '68 coupe, originally Grotto Blue with a medium blue interior, 327/TH400/10 bolt. When I got this a few weeks ago, I was thinking about going with Grecian Green, as I think it's a beautiful color, a friend of mine has one that is stunning, and I figured two blue Camaros were enough for now. When I mentioned it to my wife, she immediately made her disdain for green known to me, and my response, "but it's Grecian Green, and we're Greek, so it's perfect!" didn't go over so well, so back to paintref.com I went. Now on paintref.com, the '68 Camaro that comes up as Grotto blue did not look right, it looked too dark, so a little investigating led me to a very nice light metallic blue that we'll be happy with. I'll add the early version of the fat cowl stripe in white, and she should look beautiful. Also, rather than the medium blue interior, I'm going with the parchment/black houndstooth interior combination, but with a different steering wheel as I hate the big fat "T" '68 steering wheel. Like my first car, this one will have A/C and full seat belts.

For power, here's the plan: A while back I got a call from the engine shop I've used a few times, and they were clearing out their inventory of old engine blocks and heads, so along with a '61 283 and '65 327, I picked up a very clean '69 396 block, so I am going to build an L88-spec engine with aluminum GMPP oval port heads and intake. Since I already have a 4-speed 427, I want a more mild big block with an automatic, so I'm going to install a 700R4 and 12 bolt with 3.42/posi rear gear. The combination of the low 1st gear in the 700R4, as well as the overdrive in 4th, should make the 3.42 a good choice for both street and highway driving. My reasons for going with the 396 were that I'd gotten spoiled looking at the big ol' 427 in my first car, and between the block, carb, and a bunch of other parts I had sitting around, I could put those to good use.

I'm debating as to whether I should convert her to an RS, as I love the RS option and all my other Camaros have it, but I probably won't go with the SS or cowl induction hood and spoiler. I think I'll keep her with a flat hood and trunk. Suspension will be the same as the others, 4-wheel disc brakes with a 2-inch lowering setup and Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, and 15x7 rally wheels with redline BFG silvertown radials. This should be a pretty fun and reliable car to drive on a regular basis. I'll post more pictures when I get the car out of the dark storage area, but here's the firewall tag, and a picture of what I think she'll look like color-wise when she's done.

Relax, all right? My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427/4 speed
1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 350/TH700R4
1969 Camaro convertible X11 Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed
1968 Camaro, Grotto Blue project car
1970 Camaro RS
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 15, 12:20 AM
jno
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Another blue Camaro followed me home, Grotto blue '68 coupe

Quote:
I should name this one "Britney", because, well, oops I did it again.
It's a sickness you know. You said its for your wife, but you keep saying stuff like "I like this". LOL

What condition is it in? We need Pics!
RDW likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 15, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I like that.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 15, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
James

Grotto Blue can be a great color, but it seems that I never see the same shade of that code twice. There seems to be some variation in the mix code or the way it's sprayed.
That pic looks like what I would expect in that code sprayed with 2-stage. Nice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 15, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff Spicoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jno View Post
It's a sickness you know. You said its for your wife, but you keep saying stuff like "I like this". LOL
I let her make all the decisions on the big Range Rover mothership I bought her last year, so I'm calling the shots on this one. She does like the Grotto blue and the automatic transmission, so how we get there is my call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jno View Post
What condition is it in? We need Pics!
Will do. Front sheet metal is off, and the entire car has been stripped and media blasted, pretty much ready for very little necessary body work, primer and paint. I'm not using the cowl induction hood that came with it, but most likely the flat hood that originally was on my first '67, and I can sell the cowl induction hood. All that will save me money right there. She's rolling on a 10-bolt rear end which will get replaced with the 12 bolt that's part of the deal, and the front subframe and A-arms have already been powdercoated. She also has the TH-400, not original but in good shape, and a nicely rebuilt 350 that I will have an engine shop go over to make sure everything was done right. I might save it for the next blue Camaro that follows me home or sell it; in any case it's good to have. I'm going to install new glass anyways, so I don't have a beautiful paint job with old scratched glass, and I have all the trim pieces, and they are in good condition but need to be re-chromed and/or polished.

Relax, all right? My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

1970 Camaro RS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 15, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
James

My 68 GTO is (CODE D) pontiac called it Alpine Blue with parchment interior and redlines... I love the color combo.

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 15, 11:02 AM
Tech Team
Justin

good sickness to have!

Justin Novick
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator - The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods
(773) 303-8251 -

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff Spicoli

Well, It's been two years since I posted an update on this one, so I figure it's about time. The car has been sitting for a while at my friend's shop, but last summer I thought I'd start getting everything in order to get the rebuild started. As I've been prone to changing my plans, last summer I decided that instead of a 396, I'd just have an engine builder friend, Dave, go through the 350 that had been "freshly rebuilt" but still sell the TH400 and a couple TH350's that I have to purchase a new TH700-R4. In any case, I took the 350 over to Dave's house and had him do a simple upper end tear down to make sure that the engine was rebuilt competently. Good thing I did. The bottom end had been done pretty well, with the only major shortcoming being that some of the connecting rod bolts had not been torqued down to the correct specifications. The cylinder heads, on the other hand, were probably a few hundred miles from failure, not due to crap parts, but the tolerances and assembly had been done really sloppy. The heads were some cast iron '76-'78 lightweight heads as well that were ok, but I've heard that they were prone to cracking due to the removal of material for weight and material savings. The cam was also a pretty weak RV flat tappet cam, so that wasn't going to fly.

So, a year ago, I was tearing down the old '67 283 that came in my '55 Bel Air, and discovered that it had a set of 462 heads that came really close to the date of the 327 block that I used to have Hutchison Racing Engines build the 327 short block for my younger son's '67 L30. For that engine, I had originally bought a set of RHS 64cc aluminum heads with 180cc runners, but just hadn't had time to get it finished. So, after I decided to have my son's 327 finished with the 462 heads instead (that car is going to really look period correct), I had the RHS heads and Comp Cams cam and valvetrain in boxes and unused. Woohoo!

I gave Dave what I had, and after determining that the XR282 cam was going to be a bit too aggressive for the 350, he strongly suggested that I get the XR270 hydraulic roller cam that would work well with the Comp hydraulic roller system I had for the 327, and would work with the RHS heads. He got everything measured and fixed to acceptable (for Dave, better than stock) tolerances, torqued and reassembled. We did use the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake that came on the engine instead of the Air Gap I had on hand, as Dave advised it would give me better low end performance from idle rather than north of 1,500 rpm. I have a Holley Street Avenger 670 with electric choke for it, and I think that'll give it good performance and street manners.

The other decision I made for this build, definitely for the better, is to use a bunch of other parts from other cars that are either perfectly good or haven't been used. Case in point, my big box of Baer 4-disc brakes that I've had since January of 2003! I bought them for my first '67, and when I did the 427/4 speed/15" Cragars, the Baer brakes stayed in the box. I just found the paperwork for them last month where I paid $2,600 for brakes that have been sitting in boxes for 14 years! I must be dumb. Anyways, I have a full Flowmaster 2 1/2 inch exhaust system, headers, and other stuff I bought and hardly ever used.

Going with the big Baer brakes also meant I decided to go with more of a mild Pro-Touring set-up, but something I could drive every day and on longer trips. One thing I added to my '67 427 car was the Hotchkis front and rear sway bar set and rear springs, and I have to say, I love how the Hotchkis components make that car handle. For my '68, I decided to order not just the full front and rear sway bar set, but also a set of their lowering coil and leaf springs (2 inches in front, 1.5 in the rear), the rear shock tower brace and the upper and lower A-arms. I got most of the parts earlier this week, but I'm still waiting for the lower A-arms and shocks.

I've settled on wheels, and it was a design that I saw about a year ago at the Sacramento Autorama on a Chevelle, but had forgotten about until I saw them on a Facebook posting on the Crusher Camaro two weeks ago, wherein Dave Freiburger mentioned that they are ditching the US Mags Rambler wheels for something more '70's retro (which I like), but those are the wheels I saw last year and love them. In 18" diameter they only come in 8" and 9 1/2" widths, so if I can fit those in the front and rear on the '68, that's what I'll do, otherwise it'll be 17x7 front and 17x8 rear.

Paint: This will probably change, but right now I'm thinking Ermine White with the flat hood, no rear spoiler. Between my first '67 and the paint prison nightmare that was my '55 Bel Air, this time around I just want simple. I love white race cars (especially those with a big red "M" on the hood) and I'm thinking a simple black houndstooth interior should look nice. I may update the center console and the seats, but that's the way I'm leaning.

I'll try to post some pics in the next few days. I'm hoping my friend's shop can start working on the body soon. It really doesn't need much in terms of body work to get it ready for primer, so I'm hoping 3-4 months she should have some color on her.

1970 Camaro RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode