I think I found the right first gen car to bring back? - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

I think I found the right first gen car to bring back?

After turning over many rocks and hunting for one of three known cars I was looking for, I finally ended up with a solid choice. A 69 Z/28 with a long race history in the Pacific Northwest, and one with Canadian documentation. With the car now being taken apart in my shop, I've been preparing the restoration of this Z/28 with most of the original drive train secured, and have been busy buying other peripherals that were MIA over the years.

A partial restoration of the car will be performed where the original drive line will go back into the car. The rear suspension and roll cage will be kept as a reminder of the cars 44 year long career in Super Stock, and the paint and interior will be freshened before it's put back onto the street after 44 years on the track. The odometer shows 22,700 miles and it's completely rust free from top to bottom and front to rear. The car is also very well known throughout the west, and I will work hard to keep that legacy intact.

My son and I have started a website to outline the work we are doing with the car and I am hoping to have it on the road sometime this summer. The website includes many pictures of the car being raced in Division 6 and has some great shots from the early 1970's right through to 2012 when it was last raced. There is much more coming, but see if you can spot the other legendary cars that it was campaigned against back in the day. The Frizzell Bros "Suddenly" Camaro, Buck Kinney's LS6 Chevelle "Special", Gary Wolosinka's Hemi Cuda "Old Trapper", and Cam Noseworthy's Hemi Dart "Noseworthy" to name just a few. Visit www.x77z28.com to catch more.

I will try and stop in here to post some more pictures when we get rolling along a little further with the car. Thanks for a great resource site.

1969 Z/28 Canadian Docs (Now being Restored)
1970 Camaro Canadian Docs
1955 Chevrolet 2nd Series

Website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NorCam; Mar 23rd, 15 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Re: I think I found the right first gen car to bring back?

Awesome. Congrats!

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Very cool! Congrats. Great website too. I look forward to following along.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
James

I love the old race cars.

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Depending on the year of the one pic, it looks like the late Lee Shepherd's Camaro. Next month is the 30th anniversary of his death-unreal how time goes by.
Thanks for those great pics

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 05:46 PM
Team Member
Ty

What a great story...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 06:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Thanks for sharing Earl. Are you dealing with the original motor & trans or are they long gone due to the 22k miles, a quarter mile at a time?

Also nice to see a Vert Chevelle at the races!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaniac View Post
Thanks for sharing Earl. Are you dealing with the original motor & trans or are they long gone due to the 22k miles, a quarter mile at a time?

Also nice to see a Vert Chevelle at the races!
The numbers matching block from this car is long gone but may survive somewhere? Kym swapped things around in the mid seventies and sold lots of his parts through swap meets in the PNW. He raced the car from the mid seventies as a 350/255 and this can be seen on the front fenders of the car in the pictures. I think the transmission was blown up a few times as he did experiment with a 427 for a while and told me he broke a lot of stuff while doing so.

The car does retain its original diff housing which has never left the car but it's been beefed up and will need to come out to be relaxed a bit. The engine I am using is a date correct DZ302 with a suitable date to an 05A car and it is not original to this car. I wanted the car for it's racing pedigree and I am less concerned about matching numbers as I am about keeping it's history intact. There are too many fake cars out there today and I simply wanted a real deal Z with some pedigree behind it.

That to me adds plenty of enjoyment and still allows me to torture it whenever I feel the need.

Website
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 15, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3forme View Post
Depending on the year of the one pic, it looks like the late Lee Shepherd's Camaro. Next month is the 30th anniversary of his death-unreal how time goes by.
Thanks for those great pics
That is Lee's car in the far lane and the Yule Bros Camaro (#91) is right behind it. Randy Becker bought this car in 1980 and only had it for a couple years so I am suspecting this was 1982 but will confirm with Randy next time I talk to him. Cool pictures and there are more coming.

Earl

Website
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good story and good post. Good luck with the project.
I would protect her character also with honoring the past.
Thanks for the pictures, and I'm sure you've seen a member's post here, Redfox, who has been posting vintage pictures.
Yes you did find the right First Gen Camaro to bring back.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

So very cooool!!!!!!!!!!!

keep us informed.

And thanks for sharing with us this awesome story!!!

GO EARL GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

69 Z/28 Hugger Orange/Deluxe/comfort weave interior / #'s matching ,nut & bolt restoration

69 Z/28 10 10 car,Original look with a few upgrades, Zl1, TKO 600,Currently in the works.

7o Z/28 Mulsanne blue, Original drive train,4:10,4-speed,standard steering,one owner, Canadain documented car.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

You should return it to factory stock

Seriously, though, which version are you going to go for? I'd pick the most famous and get every picture you can of it at that time and restore it back to that.

Very cool find.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

A mix of both George

I've added some more pictures to the website including some more history of Kym before he retired it from Super Stock after winning Division 6 North in 1978.

Website
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Darrell

While documenting the rich racing history this car has been involved with over the past 44 years, the original color will be passed over in favor of silver w/ black stripes and a stance that resembles the car seen above. It will remain silver for the foreseeable future and everything from the rear clip forward will be put back to stock. It will retain the Super Stock rear ladder bars and mini tubs to serve as a reminder of it's former days on the race track.

I'm thinking I can dig this look even knowing the color and interior will not be original to the build. :-)

Its your car and to each his own. Good luck with it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 09:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Yep, your car to paint it how you want.

If it was MY car, I would use the paint scheme in the pics that have the 350-255 on the front of the fender - 2nd pic.

Was this car originally Rallye Green?

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode