93Z, bringing her back...... - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

93Z, bringing her back......

First let me say I came on a unique opportunity to purchase this car from a friend. I thought the car had a lot of potential as a fun DDer. However, as this deal kinda came up so quickly, budget was tight. So getting this car back to DD standard while keeping it budget friendly is the idea here. After I get done with it, it will go to its new home in Dallas TX where hopefully it will live the remainder of its days doing well. On the pics. BTW, the car is stock with 4.10 gears as the only mod.

Its had a not so decent respray. Nothing to write home about and its filthy. :nod:

A rather strong running LT1/M29 T56 drivetrain, however, its been the victim of some shoddy mechanics in the past. All thats gonna be undone

To start, its getting an opti and new water pump. Its a Chandler Motorsports Opti, like I said this was budget friendly, so dont give me the Delphi comments. I already understand the risk involved.

Upon driving it this car had lots of issues, one being a sloppy shifter. Here's the replacement. Brand new Hurst base, with chrome Hurst short stick and white Hurst ball. A nice piece I think.

Stock shifter

New shifter

I also felt this car could use some routine maintenance. So I purchased this bundle from Oriellys.

Starting at top left: PCV valve cover grommet, TR55 plugs, rear brake pads (i post pics of this later) stock replacement wires, Bosch O2s, fuel filter and PCV valve

Also this car had no stereo or speakers installed in it. It did have Bose amps attached to both the front door speakers but they hummed like crazy when you turned them on so I bypassed them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: 93Z, bringing her back......

The shift boot was slightly dried out and had a rip in it so I patched it up with some black permatex

I ordered a throttle body gasket set and a new aluminum top plate cover

Started to get into the opti/waterpump install

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

This car had brake issues in the back when I got it. The pads fell out on the drivers side and the caliper was gripping the rotor. Alum vs. steel= disaster. So I got a new set of pads, new rotors, and a used set of calipers.

The worn caliper:

The worn rotor:

The new stuff installed:

Next project was this bull****. A flowmaster catback that was hacked up:

This is what is going on there:

Before:

After:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I remember working on these at the dealership back when. No fun. but I always like seeing any Camaro saved. That will be a fun driver when it's done.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

93Z w/ manual windows. I didn't think they came through that way. Nice weight savings if you ever want to run the 1/4 with it. 6 speed will be nice. That was the only thing my 93Z was missing. I ended up with a nice set of BBK headers with Stage 8 locking bolts and Percys gaskets. Probably 40 1/4 mile runs at New England Dragway with it and they never loosened up. It was my DD too.
Good luck with the project.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice Camaro, enjoy the journey. Nice she came with 4.10:1 rear gear.
Keep a logbook of the work you do to her. The log will become invaluable later in life.
Good idea for OopsIdon'tspark and water pump.
Might I suggest new belt, hoses, thermostat, and a complete flush of the coolant system, meaning removal of block plugs to get all of water jacket and do the heater core?
Maybe replace the heater core?
Maybe replace the harmonic balancer with an underdrive style?

Right place, right time.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

I can see the $ already, even on a budget build it always takes more than planned!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Always takes more money then planned.

Another suggestion I thought, install a hi flow 160 thermostat and drill a 1/16 inch diameter hole in it to relieve air.
Is there an RPO sticker on the door?
If so, does WU8 and Y2Y appear?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

This is what you would consider a stripper car. It had manual everything, hard top, and m29 close ratio 6 speed. It was probably the quickest z of that year bone stock due to the weight and trans gearing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Steve looks like you are in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode