Tony's 67 Camaro build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Tony's 67 Camaro build

I picked up this 1967 Camaro locally. I was picking up my boys from school and I took an alternate route home and I drove past a small mechanic's shop and I saw this Camaro sitting in the back behind a fence. It looked like a drag race car from what I could tell. I came back a day or two later to check it out and was pleased to see that it had not been cut up or back halved or anything like that. The bad news was that nearly the entire interior was gone and the floor and trunk was rotted out. It had 2 flat tires and the engine didn't run due to wiring issues. I negotiated a price of $4500 and he delivered it to my house for free.
Here is what it looked like that day:

It looked pretty solid but looks can be deceiving..It has lots of body filler hiding rust.

As I did my research on the car I found out that this was one of the first 1000 Camaros ever to be made. It is car number 747 and Fisher body number 379! It has a production date of August 1966. It was a white 6 cylinder car with a 3 speed on the column. It had 5 layers of paint and tons of bondo. Someone had beat the hell out of the wheel wells to cram in bigger tires and racing slicks.

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Re: Tony's 67 Camaro build

Now it has a beefy 350 engine and an automatic THM 350 transmission. It had a 12 bolt rear end with a mini spool in it with 5:56 gears. I sold off the rear end, the racing wheels and slicks, the fuel pump and cell, the fiberglass cowl hood, the rusty fenders, and the racing shifter and re couped half of the money I had spent on the car.
The battery cable had melted against the headers and the front harness and engine harness was a mess of splices, loose ends and rusty old connections. I replaced the engine harness and rewired the front harness for a new alternator and HEI ignition. I located a used wiper motor and installed it. The wiper transmission was frozen solid with rust. After a bath in WD-40 I clamped it in my vice and worked it back and forth until it came back to life.
I located an original hood in excellent condition locally and put some rally wheel on her...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #3 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Nice find! Should be an enjoyable project!

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)

post #4 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

The trunk was a mess of racing equipment and rust...
I replaced the trunk pan..

Next I tackled the floor pans..

Started cutting out rust and the tunnel section that had been so hacked up..
I located an original floor shifter from eBay and installed in in a spare tunnel piece I had..
I welded this in place in the floor pan.
The dash was a giant mess of make shift wiring and cheap gauges with ragged holes cut into the dash..
I sanded down the dash and smoothed the ragged holes as best I can..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #5 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I put a block off plate on the giant cut out radio and heater area..and painted the dash and glove box.
I replaced the missing inner front fenders and battery tray the poorly fiting radiator and fan with shroud and replaced the rusty and bondo filled fenders..
While the fenders were off, I put front discs on the front with a new master cylinder and all new lines front and rear.
I replaced the 12 bolt rear with a 10 bolt rear from my 68, and rebuilt the drum rear brakes.
I found a complete set of seats and reupholstered them in my living room..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #6 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
GJ

Garage

All that in a day, you need to come over to my house!

GJ

1968 Pontiac Firebird

post #7 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I cut out a soft and rusty piece of the dash top where the glass meets the metal..

and welded in a new piece..

Currently I am tackling the rust around the front and rear windshield..

I replaced the doors today.
After I finish this, I will replace the quarter skins and patch the tail pan.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #8 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusride View Post
All that in a day, you need to come over to my house!
It actually took 2 weeks but don't tell anyone..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #9 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroguy View Post
Nice find! Should be an enjoyable project!
Thanks Ron... I'm having fun!

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #10 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

You might want to look at the front brakes a little closer,they are installed backwards.
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Yeah, thats what they tell me...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #12 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 05:29 PM
Tech Team
Lance

Nice progress! Glad to see you saved it. Preferred the drag look though! lol

1967 Camaro
598 BBC - TH400 - Prostreet
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I fixed the front discs today. They are no longer backwards.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #14 of 168 (permalink) Old May 1st, 15, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I started clearing off the bond around the quarters to see what I need to replace...This was someone's idea of body work around the wheel well..
Note the 7 layers of paint and primer hiding under there. You can see the original white paint.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 15, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competition View Post
Nice progress! Glad to see you saved it. Preferred the drag look though! lol
It did look kinda mean huh?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode