Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Camaro RS Z/28 - "Brooklyn Project"

332K views 985 replies 103 participants last post by  Edgemontvillage 
#1 · (Edited)

Just acquired a 1969 Rally Sport Z/28 project car. ~22,000 original miles, Hugger Orange, M21, BV 4:10 differential, Comfort Weave deluxe black interior, Console, Gauges, Endura bumper, X33 trim, D80 Spoilers, flat hood, 2B (Norwood) build date. Delivered on Long Island New York at Booth Chevrolet, Babylon NY and until now hasn’t left the state It sustained front end damage in the mid- '70s which effectively sidelined it ever since. The front clip was replaced with donor sheet metal that was re-assembled to an amateur standard. The car was stored for many years and finally delivered to a body shop in NJ in early 2015 for paint and some restoration when the owner decided to abandon the project following partial stripping of mostly original paint. What you see in the photo is the remaining original hugger orange paint. Despite being an eastern US car there is minor rust. The engine, transmission and differential are born-with original and the engine and diff have never been out of the car and the original spare tire and wheel are mounted on the car. Jerry MacNeish authenticated the drive train, select major components and the trim tag as original to the car. The car will be subjected to a ground up restoration (Lots) More to follow.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
You will. The car came with a trunk (and interior) full of parts, including original take-off parts like the EATON CV clutch and 772 fan, a heap of repop RS headlight and grill parts, repop cowl hood related parts and trim. I have no intention of using any of the repop parts as the car as it will be restored with NOS and used original GM parts wherever possible including a dated flat hood.

#4 ·
GREAT PROJECT Lloyd!!! Can't wait to see your finished product. How clean are the comfort weave seats?

Thanks James, the seats need work and cleaning, together with everything else on the car. As its a 22,000 mile car I'm hopeful I can re-use the comfort weave seat covers subject to some repairs and artful patching however that's down the road. The carpet is original and mostly unworn, even better than the 10 10 car.

#7 · (Edited)
A few more photos:

Firewall Trim Tag: Hugger Orange, Deluxe Black Comfort Weave, Style Trim. 2nd Week of February 1969 Build Date. Note both white (stripe) and orange overspray on firewall and trim tag.

Original Block Pad Stamp

Born with 4:10 BV Rear dated February 3, 1969

Original Muncie M21 dated January 27, 1969

Original Spiral Shocks dated January 3, 1969

Original Under Cowl Whiteout Paint, remnants of washer nozzle dum dum.

M21 Tag

837 Alternator dated January 13, 1969

#26 ·
There goes the neighborhood!
amazing find! I knew you would find another worthy subject
BTW what fan is on the alternator, hook or?

#19 ·
You are killing me Lloyd! You stole this right out of my backyard. I thought the 10 10 car was amazing. I will be following this thread closely. Eddie Montini recently stole a hugger orange RS Z from my backyard as well., or is this it?I have to get out more often!!
Buddy

#31 ·
nice project Lloyd.....very cool. look forward to seeing it doing burn outs! ;-)