Dare To Be Different (6=8) - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Dare To Be Different (6=8)

I purposely bought the car that I have because it had a straight six in her, and now its time to spice her up a little. Twenty years or so ago I had another 68 Camaro with a six and went with Clifford Performance products, headers and intake with a 390 cfm Holley sitting on top.

Here is a picture of 68 that I had back then, and yes the blue hose covering looks bad to me now but back then I thought it looked good.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered Clifford's Dual Weber 32-36 Kit, Dual Shorty Headers, and their 6=8 Valve Cover.

This next pictures are what inspired me to go with Clifford again, and to step it up a notch with dual Webers.

Here are some pictures of what she looks like today.

It will be a long 3-4 week for delivery, but let the fun begin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My YouTube LS3 Engine Swap Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My LS3 Engine Swap Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Re: Dare To Be Different (6=8)

Cool project! My first car was a 68 coupe with the 250 motor and 3-speed on the floor. Loved that car. Dad helped me install the header, added glass packs and a heavy duty clutch and she would pull stock V8s across the intersection. Well, it was the 80's...

Post more pics when you're done!

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 07:52 PM
Team Member
Darin

That looks sweet.

Do you bump compression,head work,cam or any internal preformance upgrades to these 6cyl ?
I'd like to hear a hot rodded one somtime.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

A lot of the research I've seen does include internal upgrades. I'm going to take it slow and wait to see how she runs and then take it form there.

I think I need to document some of the current aspects of the car to then compare after the upgrade. What sort of things do you think I should record?

Getting a dyno before and after would be fun but I think it would cost more than I would want to spend.

post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 10:58 AM
Team Member
Darin

I think if the engine is still healthy internally,I little bit more cam over stock could take advantage of the upgraded intake and exhaust,and a fresh timing chain/gears too, did'nt those old stock timing gears have the nylon faced gears ? If it hasn't been rebuilt,those can be trouble if you start putting your foot in it with a 46 year old engine.

Anyway, I think picture of that fixed up 6cyl looks good. It would be cool to see what kind of power you could get out of a nice street performance build, and to hear what is sounds like.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

This a video of my 69 Firebird with Varaflow tunable mufflers. There will be a pause at idle as I switch back and forth from open and closed. The engine is a stock 350.

https://youtu.be/DPn_Ug_9Dxs

I plan on using these on this project also and looking foward to hearing the differance.

(138 views as of 4/30/15)

post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Dare To Be Different (6=8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
... and a fresh timing chain/gears too, did'nt those old stock timing gears have the nylon faced gears? ...
The GM L-6's use a Fiber Cam gear with a metal crank gear.

There are lots of folks building these engines for mild street performance with good results
I've built a few back-in-the-day and have even seen a few at Bonneville that rival the same displacement V8's for HP and Speed - of course they are often above the Torque level of most of them also.

Crane still grinds performance cams for both street, competition and marine use.

Do a You-Tube search for 300HP 250 Six and see if one of the builds doesn't come up

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old May 6th, 15, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

UPS guy dropped off my new exhaust today. Looking forward to hearing how these will sound.

Here is a look down the tube with the baffel closed. So I'm sure you can imagine what it will look like with it open.

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old May 6th, 15, 06:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Welcome aboard!

I have an offy intake, Langdon headers, 2.5" single exhaust, HEI, electric fan, Holley 8007 carb (390 cfm) and some other goodies.

Next winter I'm getting a new head with lumps, a somewhat mild cam, new pistons and rods, and going efi. the following winter will be adding about 12 psi to the intake manifold.

Shooting for 350hp at the rear spiny thingies. Should make it fun.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old May 6th, 15, 06:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

On another note there's about 6 of us 6ers here now. Maybe we can ask nicely and get our own little subforum....

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Dare To Be Different (6=8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
On another note there's about 6 of us 6ers here now. Maybe we can ask nicely and get our own little subforum....
As long as you'll let us OHC-6 guys play on it also ... I'm in

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
John

Same setup I used to have in my 67 vert. 390cfm, Clifford valve cover, same style air cleaner, but no P/S.

I liked the long tube headers and had them aluminized back in the day. I used Hush Thrush oval mufflers and had them dump out before the axle with some 45* tips. It sounded like nothing else on the road.

It would get rubber in all three gears w/ a 3.08 rear and wound up breaking my three speed twice.

Enjoy!

John
Camaro Purgatory

67 BB Vert - in pieces
67 RS SS - in pieces (but less than before)
67 Pieces - in pieces
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci-flyer View Post

I liked the long tube headers and had them aluminized back in the day.

Enjoy!
I liked the long tube headers also but they only sell them now for truck applications, for cars they now have what they call shorty headers. As of yesterday they are supose to be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to put up a picture of them soon. But in the mean time here is todays deliver.

I figure dealing with a custom fuel delivery system I should be prepared than sorry that I was not prepared.

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
As long as you'll let us OHC-6 guys play on it also ... I'm in
Do you have any pictures posted of your OHC-6? Would like to see it

post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old May 7th, 15, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I tried out the long tube and they don't fit. Almost cut them up but opted for the Langdon headers after reading up on Inliners.org.

And plans for more after this all get put in? Cam? Lumps? Oversized valves? Bottle?

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode