Tony's 69 Camaro convertible build - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Tony's 69 Camaro convertible build

Finally after searching for years for an affordable 69 convertible project, I found one..
It was a 6cyl convertible which makes it pretty rare; only 1507 6cyl convertibles were made back in 1969, which seems strange due to the extended year model production.
Anyway, the original motor and trans is long gone. The original color is hugger orange which I love! I plan to do a full frame off restoration and drop in an LS1 engine. She came disassembled and up on a rotisserie. I have tons of boxes of parts..

According to paperwork in the glove box, somebody named Steve from Panama City Florida bought the car in 1989 and replaced the front fenders, pulled out the original 6 cyl, patched the quarters, and painted the car yellow...About 10 years ago someone parked it and took it apart for a resto and got as far as stripping the car, and cutting out the left and right floor pans. I will do a full convertible floor pan, firewall, full quarters, new doors, new trunk pan, and use the GM front fenders it came with.
I have all the parts including full interior and factory disc brakes! Unfortunately the front cocktail shakers are missing...I have the rears.
I will make a daily cruiser out of it with an auto overdrive trans and the LS1 engine.

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Tony's 69 Camaro convertible build

I'm getting confused with all the camaros your building Tony!..lol That 69 looks like a keeper for sure.

My 67 convert build in progress:

1967 RS Convertible, 350/TH350
1964 Corvette Coupe 327-Muncie 4 speed
1951 Ford F-1 Pickup project

post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 10:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Tony, You are doing God's work. I always admire projects that start off like this! Good luck sir.

6 kids...= poor man...and I wouldn't have it any other way!

'69 X11 w/PoP- finally home!

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-T View Post
I'm getting confused with all the camaros your building Tony!..lol That 69 looks like a keeper for sure.
I know!
The hard part is keeping track of parts for three cars!

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacleod View Post
Tony, You are doing God's work. I always admire projects that start off like this! Good luck sir.
Thanks Mark, it may take awhile but I'll finish it one day..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I will build the body cart this weekend, or at least get started so I can remove it from the rotisserie..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Tons of parts that game with it..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Here are more pics of the car body...
The black spots are where I sprayed rust converter..
I bought the steel to make the body cart using the plans from this forum...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Body doesn't look too bad at all...but of course nothing looks too bad to me...lol

My 67 convert build in progress:

1967 RS Convertible, 350/TH350
1964 Corvette Coupe 327-Muncie 4 speed
1951 Ford F-1 Pickup project

post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-T View Post
Body doesn't look too bad at all...but of course nothing looks too bad to me...lol
Ain't that the truth....

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

You new car looks a lot better than what I started with. Initially I was worried when you did not post photos of the parts taken off of the car. It is good the extra accessories were not lost. They can add up in price in a hurry. Does your new car have three doors like the last one? I only see two.

I got a good laugh when I read your post if you should by a Firebird Convertible. You asked on a Camaro website if you should buy a Firebird. Duh.. Maybe you wanted to be talked out of buying the Pontiac. I glad you got what you really wanted.

Patrick
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Another cool start Tony. When you walk outside in the morning and look at 3 Camaro projects, how do you decide which one to work on? Good problem to have.

My Build Thread

post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
You new car looks a lot better than what I started with. Initially I was worried when you did not post photos of the parts taken off of the car. It is good the extra accessories were not lost. They can add up in price in a hurry. Does your new car have three doors like the last one? I only see two.

I got a good laugh when I read your post if you should by a Firebird Convertible. You asked on a Camaro website if you should buy a Firebird. Duh.. Maybe you wanted to be talked out of buying the Pontiac. I glad you got what you really wanted.
Basically it is a complete car minus the engine, trans, and driveshaft. Its not too bad..after looking at all the font end sheet metal which has no trace of hugger orange under the yellow (or any other color for that matter) I have concluded that when the car was "restored" during the late 80's someone replaced all the front end sheet metal with GM metal for whatever reason (crash or rust). So I have good fenders, inner fenders, valence and header panel...
I only have 2 doors but they are pretty rusty and will need replacing. The quarters were also done (80%) but were put on without repairing the rusty wheel well lip. The outer wheel well edge was cut away but not replaced. The quarters are now rusty and will need replacing with full quarters.
Yes I'm glad I didn't get the Firebird so I could get me dream car!

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Another cool start Tony. When you walk outside in the morning and look at 3 Camaro projects, how do you decide which one to work on? Good problem to have.
Its a little overwhelming to be sure!
I'm trying to concentrate on finishing up the 67 coupe for the sake of workspace and $$. I will have to sell it in order to finish the others...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old May 30th, 15, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Building the body cart..

I'm not sure how make those vertical pieces with the pins coming out the top...I have the vertical tubes cut already...
Anyone does this before?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode