Team Camaro Tech banner

My 68 weekend hobby project

31K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  ilikeike 
#1 ·
Since I've followed and commented on some of your projects,
I thought I might aswell put some of my budget build pictures up.

This is low budget driver quality project I'm doing with my beer money, I've had to sacrifice and cut way back on cigars, guns, ammo and beer,going out....

My plan is to get it mechanically new and safe,drive it for awhile while I collect some sheet metal before I take it back apart for new quarters and mini tub, paint and whatever I want to do over, and who knows what's under that vinyl top...

I didn't document as well as most of you did with pictures,but I have a few.

This car was originally a powerglide car and was a 4spd conversion.
I started by selling the 327, clutch, M-20,10 bolt rear end, driveshaft, subframe with GM discs.

I fixed some floor and trunk rot, passenger side shock tower,cut and patch some areas on the rear inner fenders.
It's floors are now solid and rust free, I used the silver POR15,seam sealed and put the fat mat sound deadener down.
So far I've added
AAW update wire harness,
Retro sound model 2, two JL audio speakers in the stock dash location, and since the previous owner had already cut up the kicks for some nice Krako speakers, I got some nice infinity Kappas to fit without cutting any metal.

Powdercoated 9" rear with 3.50 gears, 3" narrower. with disc brakes.
Hotchkis TVS system and frame connectors, 3" drop all around.

Global west A arms with tall upper ball joint, global solid body mounts.

Front willwood 12.88" 6 piston discs, manual master w/ 7/8" bore

Rebuilt and powdercoated the subframe

GM tilt steering column from GM Tilt. Budnik wheel
Newer late model power steering unit "iroc"

New fuel tank
Stainless fuel and brake lines.

BB heater core.
lots of new nuts and bolts.

Working on the old school 421" engine build now, built on a Dart SHP block.
Scat forged rotator, H beam cleranced rods. Hyd roller.
Most likely going with a TKO 600 and sticking with mechanical heim joint linkage.

I doesn't take long to make a mess

I did'nt cut back too much on the beer I guess.

[URL=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/dsmallen/media/Camaro/9005792a-4c32-4555-b4d1-b631c0c5c283_zpsvzohfwy7.jpg.html]

Thats about it for now,

I'll have more when I get the engine assembled,I still need to figure out what heads to get.

See less See more
#6 ·
I definitely thought of that while installing the ignition stuff, the stereo is way down on the priority list as far as function,I'm sure It would rarely be used if at all, I did run all wiring as best I could to minimize any buzz or rpm whine.
Even though I have some nice audio gear laying around that I planned on installing,JL 12" W-6, ARC Audio amps... Using the glove box for electronics is more important to me, also have a tach adapter mounted in there.

#13 ·
Nice prodject! Your doing an awesome job! If you go TKO-600 your gonna love it! I put one in last winter mated to a 3.55:1 10 bolt posi rear. 70mph @ 1975 rpm! I also highly recommend Entropy Radiator's aluminum radiator cooling fan combo. Fit + finish + operation are beautiful!

#14 ·
I've finally got the engine mostly finished.

I was originally going to get the street ported Profiler heads,but theres was no ETA on when I could get my hands on them,so went with the AFRs.

The Moroso pickup that is spec'd for this Moroso pan and pump,was right against the pan,so it needed to be cut down a bit.

[URL=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/dsmallen/media/1_zpsphebjjbh.jpg.html]

The Dart block was notched a bit to clear the 3.875 stroke/rods

[URL=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/dsmallen/media/2_zpstwzce90r.jpg.html]

[/URL]

[/URL]

The Bellhousing bolted up at .003" right out of the box.

The 7qt.oil pan tucks up nice,but the bell looks like it will take a beating on a bad bump,That edge looks like it will catch really well.
might need to fab up a small sacrificial skid plate or something...?

Used the left side oil pan bung and a twist lock dipstick. It fit well with the hooker headers.

Still waiting on my serpintine setup to show this week. should have that all bolted up next week and ready for a test fit in the car. I'd like to see how the Hooker headers are going to work :eek:
They fit great on the heads,just concerned about the steering box and linkage.

#19 ·
Very cool build/freshen up on your ride! I wouldn't go as far as budget on this one...:noway: All great parts and craftsmanship to go along with it makes it top knotch in my book. Again, very cool job and you should be proud of it when finished! Keep up the great work and keep us posted..

#20 ·
I got my March mid-mount brackets on, it's a pretty compact package,I'm happy so far. The alternator is a 140 amp CS130 from Tuff Stuff,OEM style wiring.
The powersteering pump is from Tuff Stuff as well,and supposedly 1200 PSI. I'll see if that's sufficient PSI for the "IROC" box.

#25 ·
I got my March mid-mount brackets on, it's a pretty compact package,I'm happy so far. The alternator is a 140 amp CS130 from Tuff Stuff,OEM style wiring.
The powersteering pump is from Tuff Stuff as well,and supposedly 1200 PSI. I'll see if that's sufficient PSI for the "IROC" box.

Man, that looks f**king great! Where did you get that black braided hose attached to your intake manifold? And that thermostat housing?

#33 ·
I haven't done a whole lot lately,just spending all my fun money on what seems like not much.

I got my Tanks inc. and a bunch of hose, fittings, regulator,other misc parts...

Put it together one night.

Then started on my trunk Odyssey battery mount,
I had a disconnect from my boating days and a solenoid laying around from another project that I made use of, I didn't want any more holes or brackets than necessary in my trunk so I used some sheet metal and made a mounting surface for all that stuff and attached it to the battery mount, I can unbolt it from the mount to access anything for maintenance if needed. The Ron Francis( I like those) fuel pump relay is on there also easily accessible.

I need to rob a bank or something :sad:

#34 ·
I haven't done a whole lot lately,just spending all my fun money on what seems like not much.

I need to rob a bank or something :sad:
I feel your pain! Send some my way if not the bank.... the lottery!...:yes::beers:
Keep at it it's looking great! I'm liking that battery disconnect/box (the whole thing). I may change mine up like that. Looks neat and safe
On the tank fittings off the pump I had to get a reducer to get the fitting to be able to tighten it up. I.E..the flats on the fitting hit the pump when tighten up.. Return and feed ...I have to look but I might can get you a Earls part number for what I got. Just let me know if you need them if you go that route.

#36 ·
Time to start doing some work on the car again,

The latest parts order is starting to trickle in.
Griffin radiator showed up in one day.

Received tracking 2-3 days after I order the TKO 600 from SST,should be here Monday
They also sent me a picture of it boxed up.

Went with the American Powertrain X-factor cross member. Hope it works well.

Since I usually have too many visitors bugging me on weekends to get any work done, I might take a couple days off next week and get the engine/trans in the car.

Also ordered the Holley terminator stealth,I guess Holley is suppose to start shipping them soon, I want to hear this thing run !

#42 ·
I looked at your first post, and you indicated that you are using your beer money for this project.

Now don't get me wrong, I like my beer and all, but either you are giving up super high class beer, or you are giving up a lot of it!

BTW, awesome!