1968 Convertible LS Restomod - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

1968 Convertible LS Restomod

Here is the plan for our 1968 Camaro that we affectionately refer to as “Lil’ Red”. She has never been restored and is in need of some refreshing. I contemplated long and hard about which direction to go with her….(1) restore her with her original 327 / 210 hp engine and powerglide or (2) go the restomod route. Knowing that she is not particularly rare and thanks to an unscrupulous transmission shop no longer has her original transmission I decided to go the restomod way. It was not an easy decision since this car has been in my family since before I was born the idea of changing the overall character of the car was not something that I took lightly but I wanted something that was fun, that I would enjoy with my family (with better brakes and suspension), and that I could pass down to my son.

So here are the major points of the plan:

Fix the (hopefully) minor rust issues and rustproof the parts the factory did not originally paint
LS3 6.2L 525 hp Engine & 4L70-E Transmission from Chevy Performance Connect & Cruise
Heidt’s Front Subframe
Heidt’s Independent Rear Suspension
Vintage Air – R-134A Air Conditioning System (replaces existing R-12 system)
Refresh the paint and put a new bubble bee stripe on her nose

Obviously, there are a lot of small details that will go into this build but I am well aware (thanks to the members of Camaros.net) that there is a lot that I don’t know and will have to learn as I go along and that my pocketbook will also feel the pain well beyond my budget.

Its gonna be fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1230 (1).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	126402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231 (1).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	126410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 08:54 AM
John

Garage
Re: 1968 Convertible LS Restomod

Great plan. I would however look at other suspensions

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome, John. Looks like a nice car. The family and I were in Kingwood back in June visiting my brother. Would've looked you up one evening.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 15, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

buenymayor,

Next time you are in town you should come by and have a cold one.

John
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 15, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Well I started looking at other suspensions and there are just so many choices out there especially for the front subframe. I still keep coming back to Heidts for the biggest bang for the buck. I've looked at DSE (the consensus seems to be that it is the standard bearer), Speedtech, Art Morrison, TCI, and the Roadster Shop. All these guys look to have great products but there are thousands of dollars to be paid in a premium.

So my question to the group is, if this is primarily going to be a street machine (98% of the time) and ride quality is a major factor in my decision making, what is the reason not to go with Heidts?

The only other product that I was considering was the full frame option from the Roadster Shop. This being a convertible, I would think the extra structural rigidity would be a big factor in the overall ride quality and performance. I would apprecate thoughts on that as well.

Thanks in advance!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 15, 10:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Give tony at a look he makes a custom full frame for camaros

Scroll down

http://musclecarmetal.com/home2.asp

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Who in your family used to own the car? You were the lucky one to get it.

Whatever brand you choose, the purchase of a new sub frame and rear suspension will is a sizable investment. Make sure you add up the costs of the accessories that are required to get the parts to work together. Once you add up the total costs, the percentage differences between the different manufacturers is not that much.

For example: You buy a new sub frame. The sub frame comes with new spindles so now you will have to buy new brakes. You buy bigger brakes then the 14" rims no longer fit so now you got to buy new wheels and tires. Certain sub-frames will force you to buy their motor mounts. The new sub-frame might have a rack and pinion steering rack. Now you got to either adapt your old steering column or buy a new one. Headers are another possible adder. A new oil pan for the engine is another. Don't forget the transmission cross member.

One thing that was not on your list was a set of sub-frame connectors.

I live in Tomball. If you would like to see a Detroit Speed sub-frame and quadralink rear suspension first hand, send me an email and I will give you my address. I cannot take you for a ride because I do not have an engine yet.

Patrick
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 16, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Well it has been some time since I have posted anything but I have been hard at work on the project.

I am almost ready to send the car to the media blaster. The car just lacks a few more parts and will be completely stripped.

We pulled the old engine and powerglide transmission on New Years Eve with my father and my brother.

Question for the group; I have left most of the bolts that fit in the body from various accessories, etc. in the body. My thinking was that it just easier to keep track of the bolts and where they go and keep primer out of the threads. Should I leave these bolts in place for the media blast/primer process or should I remove them?

Looking forward to the good guys event in Dallas in March and I am bringing my shopping list. Gonna be fun.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Its been a while since my last update. I did some selective media blasting with my HF blaster and discovered a lot of rust on the upper dash by the windshield, the quarter panels and the passenger side floor pan.

I ordered a new dash from AMD and went to work replacing. I think it was pretty successful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4996.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	145217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	145225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5097.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	145233  

Name:	IMG_5057.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	145241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
convertible, heidts, ls swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode